Popular Tags: [View All]
grey endres
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to the Detroit / Flint area this weekend. Does anyone know of any good gaming stores or groups in the area?

thanks

grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Detroit and Flint are pretty far apart, If you are flying into metro airport and heading for Flint I would recomend RIW Hobbies. to get there you can always go up 275 and detour to RIW they are at Middlebelt and five mile road (just east of on the north side of the street) about a 7 mile detour. They have a incredible selection of games just unbelievable to me. Best selection in the area for sure.

RIW google map added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Taylor
United States
Wixom
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hero Quest Comics & Games in Howell, Michigan is a very good store.

http://www.heroquestcomics.com/

Not too far from Flint and closer than RIW or Pandemonium, which are two other I would recommend.

JT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
Detroit and Flint are pretty far apart...

Clearly you've never lived in the UP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think RIW is being overrated here. It's a little store in a strip mall, mostly full of miniatures 'n' Magic (which is where the money is in gaming stores, as I understand it, so makes sense) with a section of boardgames.

For the size of the gaming area, it's an impressive selection (they basically have a single copy of a ton of games), but they sell them all at full MSRP.

Unless you really like the tactical experience of holding the outside of a shrinkwrapped cardboard box, I don't see the attraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on the gaming stores in the Detroit area:

RIW: Very large inventory of games (primarily Euro, with a fair number of GMT and other wargames, too. Also carries Star Fleet Battles, Wings of War, some miniatures). Agree they have a fair amount of Magic & trading card stuff. Medium-size play area. Games I've bought there: 1960: The Making of the President and Airships.

Pandemonium: The miniatures store. Flames of War, LOTR, Warhammer, other miniature games. Relatively small boardgame section, lots of Magic, D&D, etc. Middlebelt & Ford Road (so it's due south of RIW). Huge gaming area. Games I've bought there: Race for the Galaxy, Pandemic, and Perikles.

Get Your Game On: By the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Lots of Magic/CCG stuff for the students. Medium sized board game section, medium sized play area. Games I've bought there: Khet: The Laser Game, Friedrich, Memoir '44, and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. They have some demo games here you can play in-store. It's where my kids got their first taste of Pirate's Cove.

Each has its own character...depends on what you want to find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's also Fun4All in Ypsilanti. Mostly Magic and other collectible games. Fair amount of boardgames, mostly Euros. Pretty good people running the place.

Rider's Hobby in Ypsilanti (now a little further north on Carpenter). Okay selection of games but nowhere near what they used to have (and no Dean). Pretty fair collection of minis.

Rider's Hobby in Flint on Corunna Road (west of I-75). Decent selection of games. Quite a few minis.

I think there is also a Rider's in Livonia down from RIW to the west.

On Ford Road there is what used to be called Old Guard Hobbies (I think it is Imperial Hobbies now). Used to have a much better selection of everything. I think there is another in Sterling Heights.

On John R in Madison Heights (between 11 and 12 Mile, I think), there is a small comic shop. Mostly Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
mikoyan wrote:

There is, but it's not a game store. I've gotten RC truck parts there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
mikoyan wrote:

There is, but it's not a game store. I've gotten RC truck parts there.
I think they have a handful of games....If you're in the neighborhood, it's worth a stop. Otherwise, no.

There used to be so much more in this area about 5 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Herron
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
About the only real gaming store in Flint is Gamer's Sanctuary on Miller Rd off of I-75, they have an ok selection, the times I have been in there the people playing are usually playing some miniatures.

Not sure on groups, I know a few folks and we play when we can, but do not of anything solid around the Flint area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Hobbies has a little more selection than Pandemonium, but not much more. Pandemonium is honestly pretty pathetic in the board game area, as far as I'm concerned. RIW is above and beyond both of them combined as far as selection goes. Old Guard Hobbies in Sterling Heights has a decent selection too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl M Langenderfer
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
RedHawk
badge
SAGES
mbmbmbmbmb
Guild of Blades is a Games Store/Print on Demand Store in the Madison Hts (Detriot area), It is on John R i believe about a block and a 1/2 south of 12 Mile.

not a huge store but have a pretty good selection for a Brick and Mortar store. Board Games, card games (self contained ones mostly, not to many CCG). and some role playing.

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls