Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm visiting my son in the Cincinnati area this weekend.

Any good FLGS around there? I haven't had a lot of luck in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Yottaquest in Mt. Healthy. Lots of space for gaming, nice owner, boardgaming nearly every Saturday from 6pm to midnight.

http://www.yottaquest.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I agree about YQ on Saturday nights. Even though I've only been going there for a month now, I know that these folks are friendly, willing to try games as well as teach them, and are very nice to newcomers (like me!)

Please feel free to look through my game list and GM me, I'll be happy to bring any of my games on Saturday night..

[edit: Since I drive 20+ miles to get to YQ, I am at the mercy of the weather. Just having checked NOAA.gov, it looks like a 40% chance of snow Saturday night.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add a third for Yotta Quest. You'll generally find people playing boardgames on Tuesday from 7-10 and Saturday 6-midnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the Boardwalk Hobby Shop in Mt Lookout while visiting Cincinnati and it had a nice range of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yet another recommendation to YottaQuest. I am a regular attendee to both Tuesday and Saturday board game nights. The usual crowd is about 12 - 15; I'd only say you should beware of Team Scott cause they cheat!

just kidding about the cheating...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I highly recommend Yottaquest in Mt. Healthy. Lots of space for gaming, nice owner, boardgaming nearly every Saturday from 6pm to midnight.

http://www.yottaquest.com/

I agree. When I go visit family back home in Cincinnati, I always stop in at this shop and purchase games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I went to the Boardwalk Hobby Shop in Mt Lookout while visiting Cincinnati and it had a nice range of games.

I lived in Cincinnati for three years and went to this store every week. They only said hello a literal handful of times. Awful customer service. A moderate selection for a hobby store, but almost nonexistant customer service, I'm sad to say. And quite a few times they closed significantly earlier than their posted hours, including once when they saw3 me crossing the street toward their store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yottaquest is very good. Also nearby (in Northgate Mall) is Sci-Fi city, which has a good selection, and the occasional sale (something I've never seen at Yottaquest).

Personally, I really dislike Boardwalk. The staff are very cold, and my game collection has outgrown the (relatively) smaller selection there. Also, the hours suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
p0pcult wrote:
Personally, I really dislike Boardwalk. The staff are very cold, and my game collection has outgrown the (relatively) smaller selection there. Also, the hours suck.

I haven't been to Boardwalk in years. Do Mike and Marilyn still own it? They were always friendly to me,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
p0pcult wrote:

I haven't been to Boardwalk in years. Do Mike and Marilyn still own it? They were always friendly to me,

Yep, Mike and Marilyn still own the store, and Darryl still works there. Mike's got some... unorthodox ideas about customer service. Mainly, do not speak unless spoken to. Maybe greet the customer when they enter, but generally leave the customers alone. I agree that the hours leave a lot to be desired, but to be honest, aside from Zip's not much else is open after 6pm in the square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks. Yottaquest it will be.

I won't be able to spend time there or attend game nite. Just need a fix while I'm visiting my son. However, the prices for Wasabi and Pandemic seems pretty good for a FLGS. Might just have to break down and pick them up since I will be around 5 or 6 other people the whole weekend.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
emcher wrote:
Wow! Thanks. Yottaquest it will be.

I won't be able to spend time there or attend game nite. Just need a fix while I'm visiting my son. However, the prices for Wasabi and Pandemic seems pretty good for a FLGS. Might just have to break down and pick them up since I will be around 5 or 6 other people the whole weekend.

Thanks again!

Both Wasabi! and Pandemic are excellent choices. Good to keep the FLGS like Yottaquest going!

Have fun.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yottaqeust rocks!

Terrific store. I called before hand to see if they had Wasabi and Pandemic, which they did. But when I asked if the price was what it said on their website, they said that it hadn't been updated for a while, and due to price increases, the games were $5 more expensive. Okay, that didnt' stop me.

My son and I headed over there. What a treat.

The store is set up great, and the amount of board games on the shelves was a dream to me. To be able to pick and hold so many good games was a real treat.

As my son and I were checking out, my son struck up a conversation with the owner, Matt. We stood there 15 minutes and had a great conversation. Great guy and very enthusiastic about his store and his customers. I know he made an impression my son, who now has a place to go on a Saturday nite for some very good gaming.

I've read the rules to Wasabi and will start with Pandemic after this post.

Bottom line, Yottaquest is a great FLGS. You want access to a lot of games, and in a very nice store, with good people, Yottaquest is the answer in Cincy.

It will be a must visit every time I visit my son.

www.yottaquest.com

P.S. - Check out the web site for sure. I do site design for our company, and Yottaquest's, in my opinion, is very good and one of the best store sites I've seen. Also uses some technology because they had updated the prices by the time I'd gotten there. I'm sure there using a database driven website, which allows for great dynamics and flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls