THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

IMPORTANT NOTE - Discussion of the draft rules has concluded! The final rules are now posted at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea... and the "central" location with links for the competition is http://www.themaverick.us/buzkashi/

A "brainstorming" Buzkashi Game Design discussion folder may be found at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thanks for the input!

Here is my first public draft of the proposed BGDC rules. Please post any comments or questions you may have!

I wanted to keep the Competition Rules both comprehensive and brief. Unfortunately, I think I only managed to achieve the former goal.

The overall aim of the competition is to have fun, generate some interesting and entertaining games, and to encourage and reward skilled and creative participation. If some of the rules sound a little legalistic at times, blame it on my daytime job...

I am initially presenting the Rules in draft form in case there are questions or requests for clarification. The Rules will become final upon further announcement (in approximately one or two weeks, depending on how much discussion follows).

RULES FOR THE BUZKASHI GAME DESIGN COMPETITION

1. Register for the competition.

Before you can submit your game design for the competition, you must submit a registration request. You do so by sending me your name and e-mail address through the BoardGameGeek Message Center with the subject “BGDC Reg”. You may submit this request before or after you begin your design. Registering does not obligate you to submit a design.

Your registration will not be complete until I have acknowledged receipt of your written agreement to have your game entry posted for free distribution on BoardGameGeek for no less than 12 months. Your game will not be accepted for the competition prior to my receipt of such an agreement. You must submit your registration request before August 22, 2005, and complete the registration process prior to the game submission deadline.

2. Design a game based on the sport of Buzkashi.

For more information about the sport, see my post in the Board Game Design forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

This is a competition for the design of board/card/tabletop style games, or even games with an RPG slant, but not computer/video games (although I would be interested to see what someone could come up with in the way of a Buzkashi computer game, that is beyond the scope of this competition).

There are no physical format restrictions on the design of the game other than the requirement that the submission must have a complete set of rules and use components that can be printed out from computer files and assembled for play. The only exception would be for normally available gaming equipment such as dice, checkers/pawns, a checkerboard, a deck of playing cards or pencil and paper.

The rules for your game must satisfy the following requirements: Your game must include brief designer’s notes that, at a minimum, cite the references you relied on. Your game rules must be in English. You are not required to add a description of the sport of Buzkashi to your game rules, but may do so if you wish.

The intent of the competition is to allow as much freedom as possible within the scope of the theme. Your game may be for any number of players. Your game may portray whichever style of Buzkashi that you choose - whether the old free-form game, the slightly sanitized Royal Buzkashi, a completely sanitized Olympic version of your own creation, or some other combination. Your game may be detailed or more abstract. Use your creativity to decide how to best capture the spirit of Buzkashi in game form!

3. Submit the game in digital form by September 5, 2005.

Games will be submitted by e-mail except if, on account of unusual circumstances, you request to submit your files by snail mail. When you are almost ready to submit your game, contact me through the BoardGameGeek Message Center and I will give you further instructions for submitting your entry.

The files comprising your game are restricted to the following formats: PDF, text, Word document, or jpeg images. If you are submitting several files, you should combine all of them into a single zip file. If you are submitting multiple games, each should be in its own zip file.

I reserve the right to inform early entrants of issues or problems with their submissions, particularly with regard to non-compliance with any of the contest rules, so that these issues may be addressed and a revised entry submitted before the competition deadline.

You may enter as many different games as you like in the competition. All entrants agree that their games will be entered into the BoardGameGeek database and be made available for free public download (in the form submitted) for at least 12 months. Outside of this agreement, which must be confirmed in writing prior to the submission of your entry, the entrants will retain all rights to their games.

I must receive your entry no later than 11:59 p.m. on September 5, 2005 (BoardGameGeek time).

4. Judging.

The object of the competition is to design a game which “best” reflects the nature of Buzkashi. As there is room for the possibility that several designs may be equally meritorious (or close enough), prizes may be allotted to more than one winner in each category, at my discretion. At the present time, prizes will be in the form of U.S. dollars (by Paypal or money order, winner’s choice) and GeekGold, with the possibility that other prizes and awards may be added at a later date.

The emphasis of the competition is on game design, and your lack of fine artistic skills will not be held against you. On the other hand, a conspicuous lack of neatness and attention to detail is likely to count against you.

Award Categories:

GRAND PRIZE - Best Overall Buzkashi Game
150 gg for the BEST OVERALL GAME (an avatar, badges and change). In addition, $50 may be awarded if the game is judged to be a “best” effort on its own merit, and not simply the “best” by default (i.e. due to a lack of competition).

If multiple games are judged to be “best overall”, then each designer would receive the fill 150 gg award and any $50 award would be split equally among all of these winners. The only exception would be if a single designer submitted more than one game. Such an entrant would only be eligible for a single 150 gg award.

Best Early Submission
If there are multiple “best overall” games, a 20 gg bonus will be awarded to the game submitted earliest.

Best Amateur Design
50 gg bonus for the best game by an entrant with no published games and no games listed in the BoardGameGeek database.

Best Artwork
50 gg may be awarded to one or more games based on excellence in artwork.

Best Physical Design
Up to 50 gg may be awarded to one or more games based on excellence in physical design.

Best Rules Writing and Organization
Up to 50 gg may be awarded to one or more games based on excellence in rules writing and organization.

Most Effective Coverage
30 gg may be awarded to a game that successfully incorporates rules to reflect more than one style of Buzkashi (i.e. traditional, structured, Olympic, etc.)

Best Name
20 gg will be awarded for the entry with the name that I like the best.

People’s Choice Award
After the conclusion of the competition, but before the awards are announced, there will be a 30 to 90 day People’s Choice period (the length to be determined based on the number of entries). This will also serve to provide sufficient time for judging on the primary awards. BoardGameGeek members will be invited to try the submissions, comment on them, and vote for their favorite (the exact procedure to be determined at a later date). 30 gg will be awarded to the People’s favorite!

Designer’s Choice Award
During the same time period discussed above, each designer who entered a game in the competition will be able to nominate a certain number of entries (other than his or her own) as the "best", with the entry receiving the most nominations receiving the Designer's Choice Award. 30 gg will be awarded to the Designers' favorite!

In the case of awards given for games by multiple designers, the award will be provided to the designated primary designer (or the first designer listed in the credits). It will be left up to the co-designers to decide how they wish to split the award. However, I reserve discretion to grant full GeekGold credit to all co-designers if there are not an excessive number of game submissions involving multiple designers.

SPECIAL AWARD: Finder’s Fee
20 gg award for the first person to inform me of an existing Buzkashi game (you need not enter the competition to be eligible for this award)

Good luck! May you successfully toss the boz into the Circle of Justice!

Disclaimers: Although I have no expectation that I would need to do so, I reserve the right to terminate the competition at any time for any reason, in my sole discretion. I also reserve the right to modify these rules at any time. By participating in this competition in any way, you agree to hold harmless and waive any and all claims related to this competition, whether they be against myself or against any judges, sponsors, contestants, or other persons associated with the competition. If any other statements made about this competition conflict with these rules, the rules will take precedence. This offer void where prohibited.

(March 1, 2005)

Note: For background information on Buzkashi, see this forum posting:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGDC - Buzkashi Game Design Competition – Draft Rules Discussion
The rules look good to me, and I think that leaving the field as wide open as possible is a great idea.

Tragic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the registration statement by email or is a signed physical statement needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
One time, I entered a photo competition. When all of the entries were in, all of the contest entrants were asked to pick their 3 favorite photos, but could not pick their own entries. One of the awards was based on this ranking. I thought it was a good way to do it, because only those who cared enough to enter the competition had a say in this particular award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pick the worst games as your choices then you are more likely to win. If everyone does that, of course, the worst games would be most likely to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
If you pick the worst games as your choices then you are more likely to win. If everyone does that, of course, the worst games would be most likely to win.

I always wondered why I lost that contest. Just kidding. I lost, and deserved to lose - 90% of the entries were way out of my league.

Anyway, I wouldn't have even thought of that kind of fraud. As I get older, I become more and more convinced that selfish jerks can screw up ANY possible system. Sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

4. Judging.

The object of the competition is to design a game which “best” reflects the nature of Buzkashi. As there is room for the possibility that several designs may be equally meritorious (or close enough), prizes

The emphasis of the competition is on game design, and your lack of fine artistic skills will not be held against you. On the other hand, a conspicuous lack of neatness and attention to detail is likely to count against you.

Hmmm, I'm a wee bit confused ... is the goal to best capture the essence of the sport _or_ to develop something highly playable? Some combination of both, I'd presume. But which carries the greater weight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
LudesFactor wrote:
Hmmm, I'm a wee bit confused ... is the goal to best capture the essence of the sport _or_ to develop something highly playable? Some combination of both, I'd presume. But which carries the greater weight?

Yes, it will be a balancing act. Neither factor carries a greater weight in the abstract. It is the effectiveness of the combination that is important.

Of course, if you design a Buzkashi game that is so light and abstract that it only resembles the sport in name (i.e. a pasted on theme - "Buzkashi Candyland"), then you are probably not going to have a game that "best" captures the essence of the sport. On the other hand, if you look at a game like SPI's Air War in which it takes hours to play out mere seconds of air combat, you may have something quite detailed and perhaps "accurate", but you really aren't capturing much of the spirit of jet fighter combat.

I hope these examples help. If not, I'll see if I can explain it better...

timlillig wrote:
Is the registration statement by email or is a signed physical statement needed?

As it seldom hurts to be thorough, my initial instinct was to have entrants printout an agreement and send it to me in the mail. However, upon further reflection, a statement through the BGG Message Center and/or e-mail should be sufficient for the purposes of a competition like this.

PopeBrain wrote:
When all of the entries were in, all of the contest entrants were asked to pick their 3 favorite photos, but could not pick their own entries. One of the awards was based on this ranking.

Great suggestion! I will incorporate something like this in addition to (or possibly in place of) the People's Choice Award. I wonder if I could get away with calling this the Buzkashi-Oscar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe-
I thought this may have been mentioned in one of the discussions of the game, are you planing to cantact some publishers or other boardgame professionals to see if any will volunteer to look at the wining games?

Obviously , you can't promise anything until someone has agreed to your request but it would be a really cool prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
timlillig wrote:
Joe-
I thought this may have been mentioned in one of the discussions of the game, are you planing to cantact some publishers or other boardgame professionals to see if any will volunteer to look at the wining games?

This is something that I will investigate over the next several months, but so far none have expressed interest. We'll see what happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am going to let the draft rules sit for another week to solicit any additional comments or suggestions, at which point I will announce the final rules unless there is significant discussion going on at that time. Thanks for your review and comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting contest Joe. It is exciting seeing a fan putting forward something of value purely to generate creative results.

The only thing I'd appreciate seeing in the rules is some sort of description of your expectations of copyright. I don't see anything mentioned above. Clearly there is an expectation that the game will at some point be available as a downloadable file for judging. Beyond that, does the author have additional obligations to you if they seek a publisher (and vice versa)? Is there a public obligation to keep the original files posted as a free download? and so forth.

Of course, the cleanest way to handle this is to leave all rights to the authors, but it is worth making clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
PghArch wrote:
The only thing I'd appreciate seeing in the rules is some sort of description of your expectations of copyright. I don't see anything mentioned above. Clearly there is an expectation that the game will at some point be available as a downloadable file for judging. Beyond that, does the author have additional obligations to you if they seek a publisher (and vice versa)? Is there a public obligation to keep the original files posted as a free download? and so forth.

This information is hidden in the rules, but it is important enough that I should probably make it a separate section. Here is the excerpt:

"All entrants agree that their games will be entered into the BoardGameGeek database and be made available for free public download (in the form submitted) for at least 12 months. Outside of this agreement, which must be confirmed in writing prior to the submission of your entry, the entrants will retain all rights to their games."

If you still have questions on the issue or if you think I can word it more clearly, please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe -- Final rules coming soon? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes - meant to get at them last weekend but had to work over the weekend. I "plan" to have them finalized sometime this weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, no problem. Just curious. Looking forward to it. Didn't mean to pressure you. I remember (barely) what it was like to be employed -- oh, sorry... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
No pressure at all! I'm just glad that someone is interested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.