Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a modified version of a response about Republican Strategy HERE

See this FAQ file for more info about how the card works.

See this THREAD for a discussion about Nationalist breakthroughs

The Republican Offensive event cards allow the Republican to turn the tables on the Nationalist and (hopefully) launch a game winning counterattack.

It allows the normal turn order to be interrupted and for the Republican player to move first in the next game turn, and then fight one battle. This can give the Republican a temporary advantage, the size of that advantage can depend on when the card is played.

The timing of playing the Republican Offensive card is important:

1 Play it as the last Republican event card play to allow the Nationalist player little or no chance to counter it. This stops the use of the late war Intelligence card to cancel the event and does not allow the placement of troops, by event card, in key defensive positions that could stop the offensive.

2 Play it on a turn that is not a replacement turn, otherwise the Nationalist knows that an attack is coming and can position replacements (in the Replacement Phase) in key defensive positions.

3 The other key point is to play the Republican Offensive card on a turn where there is a hole in the Nationalist line. By moving first you can breakthrough and grab territory in the Nationalists rear area. This will need a number of units in reserve that are free to move and exploit the hole.

Think in advance, look for a place where you can create a hole and create or keep a reserve of units that can move about freely.

4 The Republican Offensive event card can also be used for defensive means; by moving first you can re-enter important territory that you have just lost, forcing it to be contested again. The enemy will need to reconquer it again and this also stops him from advancing his front line through this recently taken territory.

This can make the Nationalist victory position much different by making more Objective Cities into contested status, and doing this on a turn before a Replacement turn can increase the number of replacements you receive in the next turn.

5 Alternatively, if there is a hole in your front line that the Nationalist can exploit, then moving first because of the Republican Offensive allows the hole to be plugged. In this case, the offensive may not win the war, but it can keep it going.

Edit: Thanks to Andy44 for the correction of the wording in point 1 as the last card play, in case the Advanced Naval rules are also being used.

No Pasaran!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
All excellent points. On your point 2, I feel that the card can be played effectively on a reinforcement turn when you have a significant advantage in the number of reinforcements received. The Nationalist may be able to reinforce some key positions, but you may be able to mount forces to initiate breakthroughs in lesser defended areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
All excellent points. On your point 2, I feel that the card can be played effectively on a reinforcement turn when you have a significant advantage in the number of reinforcements received. The Nationalist may be able to reinforce some key positions, but you may be able to mount forces to initiate breakthroughs in lesser defended areas.

It's a good point, although I think that grabbing an empty location for free is better than fighting for it. The problem with creating a hole in the Nationalist line with the Republican Offensive itself is that the Nationalist can plug the gap in the two consecutive movements they get. That's why it is most devastating when it is used to exploit a gap that already exists.

There is definitely no one single best time to play the Republican Offensive event card, it may be a choice of playing it now or never playing it. I have had the card on turn 1 and held it until turn 4 before playing it, waiting for the right circumstance to occur.

The player has to make the decision and with luck you can play it at an optimum time to get the maximum advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
1 Play it as the 3rd Republican event card play

I would say: "as the last Republican event card play" (4th if Naval rules are used).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy44 wrote:
oi_you_nutter wrote:
1 Play it as the 3rd Republican event card play

I would say: "as the last Republican event card play" (4th if Naval rules are used).

that's a very good point, I'll amend the original text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
1 Play it as the last Republican event card play to allow the Nationalist player little or no chance to counter it.

An exception to this rule might be when (like in my case) starting your offensive to create the hole in the line, your opponent realises what is going on and planes to prevent a breaktrough with free box units. In that case it can be benificial to not only have this card but your own intelligence event as well (which I had). Playing the offensive card as event card 2 (keeping your own intelligence event secret for now) has the advantage that your opponent could waist his own event card: free placement in any a friendly box or his own intelligence card. In my case I scooped his free placement, which was a nice bonus with the breaktrough I did manage to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.