Subject: Game Shops in the UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Crotch - Harvey
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When it comes to buying games a lot of people here talk about supporting or getting recommendations from their local game shop. But do any Brits out there have one? I've lived in Bristol and Nottingham and while there were some good ones (Kathies and Travelling Man) they've all shut down. Now the closest I have in either city is Forbidden Planet, which for anyone who doesn't know is basically a comic book shop that stocks a handful of common games like Settlers, Carcassonne and M44.

I buy off the internet now, but I just wondered if anyone else in the UK had a good local game shop they went to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in London (well inside the M25 anyway) there are obvioulsy a few actual shops around:-

- Playingames (central London nr British Museum)
- Orcs Nest (central London off Cambridge Circus)
- Leisure Games (North London - Finchley)
- Compendia (Greenwich - not many war or Euro games but a good store)
- They Walk Among Us (Richmond)

But none of them really count as local for me but at least they are within striking distance for a visit a couple of times a year, or more if I'm working up in town. There used to also be 'Just Games' in Soho and 'Virgin Games' in Oxford St and 'Castle Games' (I think) in Kingston but all have gone.

I spend a fair bit of time in York and the story is the same there as well - there were at one stage 3 stores you could get wargames at (pre-Euros) but they have all closed and only a 'Travelling Man' is now there and they don't really major in board games. I blame Games Workshop who in the late 80's early 90's culled a number of local independent games shops initially running them as general game stores but soon turning them into Warhammer only outlets. I'm sure many would have gone west of there own accord by now anyway but it certainly accelerated their dissappearance.

I can't see the current recession improving things or the drop in Sterling which is making games prices soar given that next to no games are actually printed/produced here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'cause life is just a dream here; You know inside you feel right at home here...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only really one games shop within traveling distance for me, it's still a 30 minutes drive. But they have really fallen out of favour with me recently and I won't buy from them. It's no longer a friendly atmosphere.

I mentioned in another thread that I couldn't even get the owners attention when I was trying to buy a copy of Twilight Imperium. If he really can't help a customer who is trying to purchase one of the most expensive games on the shelf, stuff 'em.

I'd love to find another local Games Store, but if there is one they haven't learnt to advertise. Nowadays I browse games on BGG and buy online now. I am more than happy to support online stores who offer good service, discounts and deliver to my door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still make trips to Nottingham, you could take a relatively short detour down the M1/A42 to Spirit Games in Burton-Upon-Trent (www.spiritgames.co.uk). Great, long-established FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Living in London (well inside the M25 anyway) there are obvioulsy a few actual shops around:-

- Playingames (central London nr British Museum)
- Orcs Nest (central London off Cambridge Circus)
- Leisure Games (North London - Finchley)
- Compendia (Greenwich - not many war or Euro games but a good store)
- They Walk Among Us (Richmond)

Of these Leisure games is by far and away the best. Superb range, knowledgeable staff, great service (i am biased i have, in the past, occasionally worked there ). And friendly too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One online shop that I can recommend is: http://www.gameslore.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Shuck
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another two for your consideration if you live in the Midlands

Phoenix Games in Leicester - more of a CCG and CMG shop, but they do carry and small range of boardgames...I've picked up my copies of Stone Age and Dominion from there.

Bishop Games in Coventry - Large selection of boardgames, plus some CCGs and minis, plus kites! Excellent store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hammar
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inner Sanctum Collectibles www.innersanctumcollectibles.co.uk in Cambridge.

Excellent store, good sorting of games, gaming tables. Do support them if you can, I'd most certainly do if I lived in the neighbourhood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly the days of actual games shops seems to be waning. I buy all mine online now which is usually a very hassle free process. Gameslore is one of the best and so is Leisure Games. Both are very friendly and helpful places if you phone up with a query. The range of wargames is good at both.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Short
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a brilliant store in Bristol, it is up Gloucester Road and is called Area 51. http://www.area51online.co.uk The website is not great, but you can view the address and upcoming events. They run a boardgames night every Monday, Magic the Gathering on Thursday night and YU-GI-OH! on Saturday.

I lived in Bristol for seven years before moving to Cambridge and spent a lot of time and money at this shop. It is a bit of a slog from the centre of town, but well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Short
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Inner Sanctum Collectibles www.innersanctumcollectibles.co.uk in Cambridge.

Excellent store, good sorting of games, gaming tables. Do support them if you can, I'd most certainly do if I lived in the neighbourhood!
Yep, they are a great store. Loads of boardgames to choose from and they will order in anything that you want. They do not do a boardgames evening yet, but they have evenings of wargames, Magic the Gathering and D&D 4th Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chilton
United Kingdom
Oldbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
designer
mb
In Birmingham there's Wayland's Forge which has quite a large number of games available.

The website gives their address:
http://www.waylandsforge.co.uk/html/theshop.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yorkshire is quite well served. There are still branches of Travelling Man in Leeds and York, and there's Patriot Games and Wargames Emporium in Sheffield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my area, Gameskeeper (Cowley Road, Oxford) and Eclectic Games (near the train station in Reading) are both very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Spirit games here, get most of my stuff here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Smith
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Westgate Games in Canterbury still there still a good shop, 20 The Borough, Canterbury CT1 2DR, 01227 457257

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Brighton which has a couple of shops that stock a few games (Dave's Comics and the puzzle shop near the clock tower).

Update: This seems to be working out well for Dave's comics as they have substantially increased their range. Prices aren't the best but I had my wallet hand itching when I saw Dominion in the window....

But otherwise as far as I am aware there is then a complete wasteland exclusion zone of game shops for about an 80 mile radius around Brighton, with only the game shops in central London breaking the rule.

If anyone knows better than this, please shout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a local one in Cardiff called (imaginatively) Cardiff Games. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how it's still around. It hasn't really got any web-presence (I actually cobbled together a web-site for them last year as a favour but I'm no web designer and it's not a web-site where you can actually buy anything through it - the purpose was more that 'something' popped up on Google if you did a search for games shops in Cardiff!). Still, there's a pool of people who still loyally support it and even though it can be frustrating getting stock in at times I'd be sorry to see it go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Replay (Bangor, NI) scores high on the part of FLGS. If I were looking at it with a cold eye it doesn't carry much boardgame stock, and makes its money on CCGs manga consoles etc.

But they do order on our behalf and they provide our club venue, which is what counts.

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shire Games - 15, Hope Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, ST1 5BT. Really great service and a large selection of games to choose from. Good online site as well - www.shiregames.com with a fast turnaround.

The owners do an Essen run every year so will often have the latest releases available before they hit the UK main distributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Lion Games in Edinburgh: http://www.black-lion.co.uk/

Edinburgh also has a Forbidden Planet, but I only buy comics there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Waterstones is sometimes worth checking out. It depends on the shop and which way the wind is blowing, but I've seen such things as Puerto Rico, Caylus and Tide of Iron in there before. Sadly, the Nottingham branch currently seems to be cutting back on hobby games at the mo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
I live in Brighton which has a couple of shops that stock a few games (Dave's Comics and the puzzle shop near the clock tower).

But otherwise as far as I am aware there is then a complete wasteland exclusion zone of game shops for about an 80 mile radius around Brighton, with only the game shops in central London breaking the rule.

If anyone knows better than this, please shout.
Last time i went there, there was a decent shop in Aldershot which via the M25 is only 68.7 miles away from you (Google Maps says).

In fact, here is a link.

http://www.the-games-shop-aldershot.co.uk/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try and buy from my FLGS, "Static Games" in Glasgow. Also, a bit further down the same street, "Dragon and George" but he has erratic opening times and only accepts payment in cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |