John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Readers may already be aware of this event, by now well established as Britain's premiere adventure gaming fair. UK Games Expo'09 runs from 5th to 7th June. I am pleased to be able to confirm that I will be GM'ing a Combat Commander tournament at Expo'09. The CC event will take place on the Friday and the Saturday. Details to follow.

Reading CC@BGG has convinced me that there is an audience and a demand for Chad Jensen's great WW2 tacsim sufficient to sustain a healthy tournament scene in Britain. I aim to help make that happen. More to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds really good! Good luck in the event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea John... hmmm June....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legionary312AD wrote:
Great idea John... hmmm June....

THAT's the spirit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news John, I intend to be there and partake.

Will you just be using CC:E or are there plans to include the Med expansion and/or the battlepacks or even CC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Steve, and I look forward to seeing you in Brum in June.

I haven't decided what material will be used. I haven't made any final decisions at all about the format to be honest. It's all still so new to me. There's plenty of food for thought over on CC@CSW. I expect I'll be running something like what John Foley and Rob Bottos have been doing recently across in the States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three new entrants have been confirmed via CSW, plus another on facebook. This is good news, and very encouraging. I'll be starting a mailing list soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting together the details so that the UK Expo people can add them to their website. So this event is GO! Those wishing to participate should be alert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lloyd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have signed up to this. We should be doing this in the UK more often.

CC is an excellent game for tournament formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Lloyd wrote:
I have signed up to this. We should be doing this in the UK more often.

Great! Looking forward to seeing you in Brum. And yes, CC@UK Expo'09 is my contribution to getting a WW2 tactical boardgaming tournament circuit up and running in Britain. There are more than enough gamers to make it viable, and too many games to get bored of in a lifetime.
Quote:
CC is an excellent game for tournament formats.

Yep. Which is one of the reasons I chose it. That, and it's been my favourite game for more than 2 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament's official page is now up at the UK Expo website, so this event is definitely go for all those who were waiting to see how the organisation would pan out. Places are limited, and there are 5 1/2 confirmed entrants already, so you'd better get your skates on if you want to join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
What does 1/2 an entrant look like?

Your webpage looks good. Makes me wish I could come play too. I hope you have a great time with this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:

I won't know unless he turns up! Actually, it's someone on the facebook event page who's stated his intention but not replied to my recent request for confirmation.
Quote:
Your webpage looks good. Makes me wish I could come play too. I hope you have a great time with this!!

That's down to Richard Denning - who put it together; and to Rob Bottos - who gave me the tournament format. And well, who knows? I want to see a proper WW2 tactical tournament scene take off here in Britain. I'm leading the charge with CC. Maybe we'll soon have a scene big enough to warrant guests from across the pond? Fingers crossed I guess. Meanwhile, thanks Kai for your encouraging words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And all along I thought John's 1/2 person was a reference to my 13 year old son, Lawrence, who is entered for this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="pitferret"]
Quote:

Kai, you only see the front half!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My report on our Inaugural Combat Commander tournament at UK Games Expo'09 is now up at RD/KA!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Nice report! And especially nice to put faces to the various voices I had heard over TeamChat, SkyPE, etc when playing or watching Vassal games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.