United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Bell of Lost Souls, there is a new edition of Space Hulk scheduled for September of 2009.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2009/02/rumors-2009-rele...

They do not have any type of confirmation, but I don't care. I want to dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
You sick, sick man... you've caused me to hope.robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick, everybody sell, sell, sell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
September: Space Hulk (with all new modern plastic termys, genestealers...the whole 9 yards) (we have no confirmation on this)

Oh I do hope that this is true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

I'm holding off buying some of the Terminator plastics for a planned upgrade. But sell my copy before a new one is officially announced? No way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll believe it when I see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't even believe this when I see it. I remember someone doing the math based on 40k minis, and it would cost around $120 just for the minis. Of course my info is even less verified than yours. I would love to have it reprinted, but i don't see it happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is true, but I doubt it.
This rumor has circulated ever year or two, for the past decade.

I think it starts with someone's hopeful thoughts being misconstrued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, I just traded high value for a set. I guess we'll see whether I get burned, but I won't feel too disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard this rumor at a GW shop as well. I hope so, it would be great to introduce this to a new generation of gamers. No, I won't be selling one of my copies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy The Hutt
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara (FE)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to dream too!!! surprisesurprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Strope wrote:
I won't even believe this when I see it. I remember someone doing the math based on 40k minis, and it would cost around $120 just for the minis. Of course my info is even less verified than yours. I would love to have it reprinted, but i don't see it happening.

They should hopefully be able to do it cheaper than that. The starter set they jsut released for 40K (I forget what it's called - the Battle for Maccrage or something like that?) comes with load of minis (including terminators) and is something like half that cost. The minis are only snap fit ones but they still look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
sometimes i think people let me win just so they can hear my lengthy victory speeches
mb
I'd buy, but I'm not holding my breath.

With the hits it looks like they've taken the last five years or so, you'd think they'd do anything to make money.

If other companies can invent new games with tons of pieces as well for well under $100, i can't see why games workshop can't profitably rerelease one of their old favourites for a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strope wrote:
I remember someone doing the math based on 40k minis, and it would cost around $120 just for the minis.

Back in the day, when GW did do boxed sets, The cost of the game was always less than the cost of the minitaures seperately. For example, The 2nd Ed. Space Hulk was $60 and came with 2 sqauds of Terminators and 20 Genestealers. At the time I believe the Terminator squads sold for $30 and 10 Genestealers sold for $30, so $120 sounds right for the mini's.

That is the reason GW said they stopped making boxed sets becuase they made 4x the profit on the miniatures. What they fail to realize is that games like Space Hulk grow the hobby.

And besides, those miniatures cost GW something like $.13 to make, them saying it is not cost effective is complete B.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It figures that after I finally break down and buy both a 1st and 2nd edition of this game at the end of last year that this would happen. shake

- edited to change emoticon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
sfeery wrote:
It figures that after I finally break down and buy both a 1st and 2nd edition of this game at the end of last year that this would happen.

Sean, If GW follows their trend with 40k the rules will be written for 6 year-olds and the game will be more watered down than 2ED SH. So keep those other editions as you will want the 1ED rules and just use the boards (unless GW sees fit to change the keyways) to add to your newfound treasure.

For me I'll wait and see how much they destroy the rules. sauron

Brother Jim robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this discussion on the local 40K website and got some indication that there may be some substance to this rumor:

http://www.haawgs.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic...

Personally, it doesn't seem likely, given that there was only a 7 year gap between the 1st & 2nd editions, and we're up to nearly 13 years since the 2nd edition was published. But then, it is often difficult to fathom GW's business practices.

Also, production cost seems like it would be quite high as a standard set of Terminators and Genestealers price out at $175 + the cost of the mapboard sections and all the piles of other cardboard chits. Then again maybe GW would upgrade the mapboard to plastic like they did for Mighty Empires: Warhammer Expansion (with snap-on plastic walls for that long-lusted for 3-D game board shake ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious GW solution for the pricing issues is simply to include less for the same price. Perhaps you will only get one squad of terminators, and, say, 15 genestealers, and a smaller selection of map tiles, with add-on expansions that will include more figures and map tiles.

And, lets not forget, additional rules that will allow you to use other GW figures (sold separately) in the game, with rules and abilities that far outstrip anything in the boxed game set.

Oops, did I get a little jaded there at the end? Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
I posted this discussion on the local 40K website and got some indication that there may be some substance to this rumor:

http://www.haawgs.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic...

Personally, it doesn't seem likely, given that there was only a 7 year gap between the 1st & 2nd editions, and we're up to nearly 13 years since the 2nd edition was published. But then, it is often difficult to fathom GW's business practices.

Also, production cost seems like it would be quite high as a standard set of Terminators and Genestealers price out at $175 + the cost of the mapboard sections and all the piles of other cardboard chits. Then again maybe GW would upgrade the mapboard to plastic like they did for Mighty Empires: Warhammer Expansion (with snap-on plastic walls for that long-lusted for 3-D game board shake ).

Neat, thanks for the link.

I think it's entirely possible that they could use a re-tooled sprue of plastics to achieve the right price point. The latest starter edition has a far amount of plastic for a reasonable price. Use similar snap-on Terminators and two piece 'stealers, plus you'd get some savings from the economy of scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see the rule book if this rumor was true. I have a feeling that it would be a simplified/slimmed down version of 5 edition rules (no vehicle rules for example) and be meant to serve as a kind of novely gateway to 40K. This based on their most recent reviving of spacehulk, the pdf board sections posted on their site for 40K players to use with the 'kill team' rules (although I don't really know what these rules are - i think 40K skirmish rules for tiny forces). Not that this would matter as I would keep playing 1st ed anyway, as would many others I guess.

If the basic set came with enough tiles 3d plastic tiles to make the 1st edition missions that would be exciting (and expensive). My board tiles are beginning to show signs of wear and even with another couple of sets stashed away, I am worried that they will all wear out before I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

laugh Not likely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Hulk has been at the tippy top of my wish list for years now (followed immediately by Warhammer Quest). I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of cash it would take to score one off eBay. I pretty much don't care what it costs for a new reprint - it would have to be less than an eBay version, and then I could finally have one. They could slaughter the rules, give me half the plastic, and otherwise completely screw it up, and I'll be giddy with happiness to plunk down my cash money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael leers
Germany
dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmb
ithe question is who will brig this game out, gw had their spacfehulk revisit on their homepage with wh 40k stuff rules and 3d stuff.

but what is space hulk without wh 40k stuff terminators aand gene stealers?
i they bring exclusiv new figure rules and expansions wwhat sould that be?

the second edition was in the rule and mission stuff all the background stuff more less than the first edition..

and i think a game with manny token like a ffg will suck.
a token for a caingun i for a hamer and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When does Games Workshop confirm their 2009 product line up?

I really would like to see this game re-released. I've been eyeing the aftermarket products to create my own copy and it's not cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Last Name
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Pricing etc
Well, first I dont know that pricing would be a huge issue (especially with snap on pieces), as the most recent 5th ed. box set had roughly $314 in models alone and sold for 60 bucks (Terms=50, tac sqd=35, comm=15, dread=40, Nobz=25, Boyz=44, Boss=15, Koptas=90). Also, its not like anyone is going have a playable army with 10 terminatiors or 20 genestealers. Games like Space hulk and other "ready to play" GW games are there to bring people into the hobby (I played my first game of SH in 1993 at the age of 12 an never would have approached a hobby so finacially daunting if space hulk did not get me interested.) Think of yourself as a parent buying game for your kid that 4 people could play that costs 60 bucks or throwing $200 down on an army you dont know if your kid is gonna smash up and forget about in 2 weeks.
I have also never met someone who actually got into Space Hulk and then didnt spend most of their life savings for the rest of their existence on GW merch as a consiquence.
In short Games Workshop would be foolish to not try to throw another tenacle out there to snatch up fledgling gamers as well as satiate the cult like following of veteran SH gamers who would probably be buying 2 copies a piece (myself included).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.