Popular Tags: [View All]
wade nellis
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

Im heading to Edmonton in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering where the best place in the city is to shop for games. I've been to mission in St. Albert, but I was hoping to check out someplace new.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission fun is the best of the bunch. A few comic shops carry games but no where near the selection of MF. Metropolis games and Warp II are the best of the rest.

What are you looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mike although Happy Harbor comics (which is affiliated with Metropolis) carries more now, too. River City Games is also carrying a wider selection now, although the bulk of their stuff is oriented to the mass market. Of all of them, however, Mission Fun & Games definitely has the largest selection and most knowledgeable staff.

I recommend visiting the Alberta guild here on BGG to see a more comprehensive list.

Enjoy your visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Comdex Hobbies in West Edmonton Mall is the only other store I've ever purchased anything at, and that was just for "I'm here, get it now" purchases. They are very small, but have a great selection for their size.

Metropolis and Warp carry the basic essentials, although Warp then also has the geek-draw large FFG titles in ample supply.

Mission Fun and Games is the only option for serious Euro or Wargame selection.

Now if I could just find a board game group that didn't play on Tuesdays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Comdex Hobbies in West Edmonton Mall is the only other store I've ever purchased anything at, and that was just for "I'm here, get it now" purchases. They are very small, but have a great selection for their size.
Comex also has a location in Kingsway (is it still there? I haven't gone there for years). I like going to their WEM location, and their prices are actually pretty decent.

Collectors Edge (also in WEM) also has a small selection of games, but things will cost a bit more there.

Edit: I see that Happy Harbour has taken over the old Warp 1 location, eh...? I should give them a visit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey thanks. I'm in Edmonton for a few months for work. This old post came up in a google search. Will try mission fun. Any suggestions on game groups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John N wrote:
Hey thanks. I'm in Edmonton for a few months for work. This old post came up in a google search. Will try mission fun. Any suggestions on game groups?
What kind of group for what kind of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
Canada
Stony Plain
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John N wrote:
The Edmonton Board Game League plays every second Friday out of Mission.
Here's our website for some more info, or you can PM me. (I'm Assistant Organizer)

http://www.ebgl.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Claw games on Fort Road has a decent selection that caters more to the non-mainstream, however they are more geared towards Warhammer, so the store is definitely prioritized for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bourassa
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John N wrote:
We have a gaming group every Tuesday night from 7:00pm until roughly midnight. PM me if interested.

Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
Canada
Coldstream
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mission Fun and Games or boardgames.ca has a dishonest owner! Had an employee who was right in price matching a product with another store. The price was not matched because it was sold minutes later when I was trying to add another product to use my store credit. Owner lacks integrity and I would advice anyone not to shop there. Integrity is way more important than profit! Prices are absurdly high too. Try 401 games or BoardGameBliss or Starlit Citadel. Way better prices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Neher
Canada
flag msg tools
Apt To Game on Calgary Trail has some of the best prices I've found. Comparable to online stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apt to game is good.

We recently tried Industrial Park Games for the first time. They're only open Friday evenings and Saturday and Sunday. But their staff (owner?) was really helpful and despite all the plastic miniatures all over the store, was very patient and welcoming to our three young children (who are well behaved and know not to touch models, but of course he didn't know that). The prices were excellent. For the most part they were slightly cheaper than Apt to Game for the games we were looking at. I would definitely recommend them as I'm sure I'll be back soon too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FREDERIC PURTELL
Canada
EDMONTON
ALBERTA
flag msg tools
Les Portes Rouges
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. I was only going to Mission Fun and Games. Now I can probably find more card sleeves options.

I've made this little list of stores in Edmonton based on the eforementionned information provided. The link for Happy Harbor Comics seems to have some issues which may be linked to it's sale.

Industrial Park Games
Apt to Game
Red Claw Gaming
Comex Hobby
River City Games
Mission: Fun & Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
purtellfr wrote:
Sweet. I was only going to Mission Fun and Games. Now I can probably find more card sleeves options.

I've made this little list of stores in Edmonton based on the eforementionned information provided. The link for Happy Harbor Comics seems to have some issues which may be linked to it's sale.

Industrial Park Games
Apt to Game
Red Claw Gaming
Comex Hobby
River City Games
Mission: Fun & Games

Thanks for doing that. I've never been to Red Claw or Comex. Out of the four I've been to I would say River City and Mission are the two more expensive stores. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Mission, but I've found Apt to Game and Industrial Park Games to both be cheaper. Price isn't the only consideration, but for a family with young kids and a limited budget it's a big one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have had mixed luck with Mission Fun and Games. They have a great selection, but their prices are generally full retail. I have had a couple of poor experiences recently which has caused me not to return. It's a LGS, not a FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:
I personally have had mixed luck with Mission Fun and Games. They have a great selection, but their prices are generally full retail. I have had a couple of poor experiences recently which has caused me not to return. It's a LGS, not a FLGS.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does LGS and FLGS mean?

Like I said, I enjoy going to Mission. But I agree you’re not going to find any deals there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FREDERIC PURTELL
Canada
EDMONTON
ALBERTA
flag msg tools
Les Portes Rouges
badge
mbmbmbmbmb