Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/164764/

Since links sometimes fall down, I'll paste in the text below. Looks like we have a lot of waiting for "the next stuff" but let's hope this is one schedule that comes close to being accurate (as several of these items were "promised" for last year.)

New game sets and expansions in the WWI, WWII and miniatures lines are in the Nexus Games schedule for this year

Wings of War, the game series which merges card, miniature and boardgame mechanics to recreate aerial combat from the XX century in a simple but accurate way, continues to grow in 2009.

NG International, the game publisher, is working on several new products that will be released this year and cover both the first and second World War series, as well the miniatures lines.

The first new release will be the Wings of War Game Mat, scheduled as an April release, a gaming surface for duels in extra-thick foam, printed in four colors. There will be two variants (East and West section). The mat will have a size of 68 x 98 cm (27" x 39"), which can be joined together to create the ultimate Wings of War landscape.

The line dedicated to the WWI period - which includes at the moment three complete game sets (Famous Aces, Watch your Back! and Burning Drachens) and four expansions (Top Fighters, Recon Patrol, Dogfight and Immelmann) - will grow in 2009 with a new set, Flight of the Giants, which will introduce early bombers and will require any other box for playing, and other two expansions. The booster pack Hit and Run will add airplanes like the SPAD VII and the Aviatik D.I, while Crossfire will bring to the game new aircraft like the Bristol Fighter and the Rumpler C. IV-VII, with their respective maneuver decks. The new set is expected to release in August and the booster packs in December.

The Wings of War WWII series, that now includes the game set The Dawn of World War II and the Squadron Pack expansions Flying Legend and Eagles of the Reich, will grow with a new game set, Fire from Sky, and two expansions, The Last Biplanes and Revolution in the Skies. The set Fire from Sky, scheduled for a May release, will introduce new planes and dive bombers such as the Junker Ju-87 Stuka, Dauntless and Aichi. The upcoming expansions, expected to be released in August, will present additional planes like the Gloster Gladiator and Fiat CR 42 Falco, in The Last Biplanes Squadron Pack; and Polikarpov I-16, in the Revolution in the Skies Squadron Pack.

The game series is also supported by a miniature line called Wings of War miniatures, with pre-painted plastic models in 1/144 scale that depict unique, historical warplanes. This product line includes the Deluxe Set (a box with four airplanes and all the accessories and rules needed to start to play) and three series of miniatures available as Airplane Packs each featuring one model, with its special playing base and a complete maneuver deck. At the moment, all products in this line are dedicated to the WWI period, and have become an instant success that have drawn even more players to the game.

In 2009, the line will expand to cover World War Two, starting in May, when Nexus Games will release the first series of WWII models, including the Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I/II, Me Bf 109e, Grumman F4 and Mitsubishi A6M2 Reisen "Zero", each in 3 different painting schemes.

The Wings of War WWII Miniatures Deluxe Set is scheduled for a July release, and the second series of airplane packs will be released in October, and will present the Hawker Hurricane, Dewoitine D.520, Junkers Ju.87 "Stuka" and Aichi D3A1 Val, each in 3 different painting schemes.

New miniatures dedicated to the WWI period are also planned in the coming months. In September, the Balloon Busters Expansion Pack will arrive, a boxed set with one balloon model (Drachen Caquot/AE800) and one plane (Nieuport 16). The set will be available in two different versions. The end of the year will see the release of Series 4, including the models Se5a, Pfalz D.III, Breguet XIV - Rumpler C.IV, in three different painting schemes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh there goes the rest of my pay for the year.....shake

I'm Sick!
Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bruni
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaargh, more Minis.

Where do they expect one to store them?!? shake

I am curious what the mat is going to be like. I've been trying to figure out how to make one by my own design (with shell craters and trenches).

... and balloons too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note for Jim-- well, you have much of the year to save up for most of this stuff. (That's the only part I'm not happy about-- months to wait!).

Note for Charles-- actually, you don't have to wonder much. There is a thread in this forum that shows the maps and discusses what the material is going to be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Note for Jim-- well, you have much of the year to save up for most of this stuff. (That's the only part I'm not happy about-- months to wait!).

Kevin,

That's the good thing. I have most of the year to stock pile cash... But much like you the wait can be painful zombie

Jim P cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up on when everything will be released!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us hope that they are released close to when the schedule says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Let us hope that they are released close to when the schedule says.

Add three months, if past actual arrival dates match past expected release dates.

Translated (+3 months) schedule:

July 2009:
Wings of War Game Mat

August 2009:
WWII Miniatures: Series 1
WWII Boxed Card Set: Fire From the Sky

October 2009
WWII Miniatures: Deluxe Set

November 2009:
WWI Boxed Card Set: Flight of the Giants
WWII Card Boosters: The Last Biplanes, Revolution in the Skies

December 2009:
WWI Miniatures: Balloon Busters

January 2010
WWII Miniatures: Series 2

March 2010:
WWI Card Boosters: Hit and Run, Crossfire
WWI Miniatures: Series 4

If I recall correctly, the minis were usually 3 months late, but the cards were not always as delayed. Also, I think the Euro crowd got things a month ahead of us in the states. Adjust your expectations accordingly, I suppose. Still, I figure I won't see those SE5a's until a year from now. Oh well, more time to play the ones I've got already.

Thanks for posting the original (unedited) schedule, Kevin.

Prove me wrong, Nexus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The spinal cord of JFK Wrapped in Marilyn Monroe's negligee. I give to you"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info, Ted Kreider.
To keep my WoW spending in check, I'll most likely just invest in WWI minis and expansions.

I'm still hoping we'll see pusher plane miniatures.
Although I dread the durability of a miniature version of such planes.
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Thanks for all the info, Ted Kreider.
To keep my WoW spending in check, I'll most likely just invest in WWI minis and expansions.

You're welcome. It isn't information though, its speculation. Kevin posted the actual information.

I'm only collecting the WWI line myself, so it's kind of a bummer to see that 2009 will mostly be about the WWII minis. I'm sure WWII will sell, hopefully supporting the WoW line in general. The mats and Flight of the Giants will be nice though. I wonder what 'early bombers' means? Will that include a Gotha?

Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
I'm still hoping we'll see pusher plane miniatures.
Although I dread the durability of a miniature version of such planes.
soblue

I think we will ultimately get the dh2 at minimum. I'm not so worried about the fragility of the boom tail as they did a significant thickening of struts in the series 3 release. The models are getting more solid. I think we've got a few more mid war releases before that though. Series 4 is planned. For series 5, I am betting we'll see the hanriot, aviatik, brisfit and a german 2 seater. I say this based on the booster card lineup choices, plus the popularity of those planes in forum chatter.

Speaking of boosters, I propose that the Crossfire pack be regarded as the kduke memorial booster. Kevin has long championed the need for a mid war german two seater (Rumpler) in WoW, as well as the need to get the two seater fighters (Brisfit) represented. These planes, in paper and eventually metal/plastic will add a lot to the game both in play value and historical representation.

Now we just need to see the Halberstadt CL II get scheduled. Keep plugging for it, Kevin. I'm hoping it can go opposite the Brisfit mini in series 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea and I had a chat about the bombers over on the Balloon Busters thread.

Here is what he said.

Quote:
I expected the balloons earlier, but... Industry and marketing decided otherwise.

Flight of the Giants features just a first selection of multi-engine bombers that matches with the maneuvre decks given. It should include Zeppelin Staaken, AEG G.II, Friedrichshafen G.III and Gotha G.V for Germans, Caproni Ca.3 in Italian and French colors, Handley Page 0/400 for British, and the Russian Ilya Mourometz. The German AGO C.I is under scrutiny.

I know that the AEG C.II is an earely version, but later ones are too quick to match - besides, von Richthofden flew a C.II that I plan to feature. Later versions could maybe come in another kit with similar late (asnd not so used) British planes. French did not produce anything significant in these classes to match - they had more primitive multi-engine planes.

All the best,

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so 'early bombers' does mean Gotha V. Looks like these are more in the general '1917' period, which matches well with a lot of the planes in the WoW line.

I've been comparing sizes to try to figure how big the cards and eventual minis will be...

Single seaters have wingspans in the 20 to 30 foot range.

Two seaters seem to be 30 to 40 feet.

The multi-engine bombers seem to have wingspans of 50 to 100+ feet.

I wonder if they'll do them on heavy stock like the balloons?

Hey, if the AEG C.II is a single engine two seater in Flight of the Giants, maybe they can put the Halberstadt CL II in that set too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AEG is a 2 engined plane. vn Richtofen mentions is at the "Big Apple Barge."

The reason I was asking for it specifically is that, while it has the same basic structure as the gotha (gunner behind, gunner in a tub up front) it's significantly smaller than the Gotha. I think it will still be very large in minies scale (and I have a kit), where the Gotha will get huge (and hard to pack, tote, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
then I'm confused by the original Andrea quote. maybe it's a typo in the second paragraph where he talks about the AEG C II and not the AEG G II. I'm not as informed and rely on those darn internets to fill in the gaps. I'm finding the AEG C II listed as a single engine two-seater and the AEG G II listed as a two engine bomber.

If it's the G II you're referring to, I get that it's significantly smaller than the Gotha G V. (difference I think of 50 feet wingspan to 76 foot wingspan?)

similarly, I'm trying to wrap my head around what it will be like to get these things in carrying cases of some sort. sadly, I obsess on the box for the game as much as the game itself. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right of course about the C-II, and that is what he wrote.
But he was also talking about a set that was all "multi-engined" planes.

Still, it's a question of considerable interest to me (for the reasons stated-- yeah, these are big puppies-- how are we going to tote the miniatures versions, and the AEG is a "smaller" 2 engined plane with a pretty reasonably priced minie available.)

I wrote to Andrea directly to ask.

ANSWER FROM ANDREA-- "yes, typo." It will be the 2 engine AEG in the game.

(I don't think it's obsessing to try and figure out the logistics of carrying the bits around so you can play with them. Now, when you spend more money on the box than the bits... we'll talk!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
(I don't think it's obsessing to try and figure out the logistics of carrying the bits around so you can play with them. Now, when you spend more money on the box than the bits... we'll talk!)

Nope, storage costs are still falling below game cost... barely.

Endura Deluxe: 59.95
Deckview Capsules: 4.95 x 16 count = 79.20
Storage Total: 139.15

1 Seaters: 12.95 x 12 count = 155.40
2 Seaters: 15.95 x 3 count = 47.85
Miniatures Total: 203.25

Rook makes these cases for carrying ccg collections around.

http://www.myrook.com

For WoW minis, I just cut some foam inserts for them.

Each capsule safely holds the plane, its deck, its stand.

(admittedly, the 2 seaters are a tight fit)

The 16th capsule in each case holds components.

Series 3 pushed me out to two cases. I can keep going with just two by dropping down to only 2 planes of each model for a while.

The balloons and bombers will probably need something different though. I'll let you know if it costs more than the models themselves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls