Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: New Promo Card - The Black Market? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent newsletter from Rio Grande Games mentions a second promo card called the Black Market, also to be released by BGG sometime in March. Anybody have information about this card? Or speculation?

I haven't seen anything posted about this anywhere on the forums; my apologies if it's old news...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
I didn't even know there was a "first" promo card. Can someone tell me how/where to get it??? My wife and I love the game!

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You can't, yet. BGG will distribute it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yves van herp wrote:
I didn't even know there was a "first" promo card. Can someone tell me how/where to get it??? My wife and I love the game!

Thanks


It's the Envoy, to be distributed by BGG, but when I'm not sure.

I forget the cost (and too lazy to look it up) but it's an action where you draw five cards, but your opponent gets to choose one for you to discard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Thanks for the very fast answer guys! I will keep an eye on BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Bowlin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The newsletter says we have to wait until March for the promo cards! NOOOOOO!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Pity, would have liked got them right away!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Herman
United States
Seville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
gsbowlin wrote:
The newsletter says we have to wait until March for the promo cards! NOOOOOO!


Link?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 promos in March instead of one in February?

February's a short month.

Hopefully the 2nd promo card isn't a preview card from Intrigue, which according to the newsletter comes out in April or May.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Yu
United States
cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
2 promos in March instead of one in February?

February's a short month.

Hopefully the 2nd promo card isn't a preview card from Intrigue, which according to the newsletter comes out in April or May.


No - Neither Black Market nor Envoy will be part of Intrigue. They each stand alone as promotional cards.

Thanks
Dale Yu
They Might Be Developers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VinceHerman wrote:
gsbowlin wrote:
The newsletter says we have to wait until March for the promo cards! NOOOOOO!


Link?


Here's a link the to the RGG Newsletter.

http://www.riograndegames.com/news.html?id=14
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Envoy was for a con, and Black Market is for a magazine. Both cards are also going to be available at BGG, because Jay wanted everyone to be able to get the promos. We don't expect there to be any other promos this year.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
magazine sounds like spielbox ??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the rules for Black Market?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The text for the card is:

Reveal the top 3 cards of the Black Market
deck. You may buy one of them immediately.
Put the unbought cards on the bottom of the
Black Market deck in any order.
(Before the game, make a Black Market deck out of
one copy of each Kingdom card not in the supply.)


Jay
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
The text for the card is:

Reveal the top 3 cards of the Black Market
deck. You may buy one of them immediately.
Put the unbought cards on the bottom of the
Black Market deck in any order.
(Before the game, make a Black Market deck out of
one copy of each Kingdom card not in the supply.)


Jay


That's an interesting mechanism but seems not so powerful. Cost 2? I would have thought it could give you a discount on the card you buy, or something like that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
DaviddesJ wrote:
riogames wrote:
The text for the card is:

Reveal the top 3 cards of the Black Market
deck. You may buy one of them immediately.
Put the unbought cards on the bottom of the
Black Market deck in any order.
(Before the game, make a Black Market deck out of
one copy of each Kingdom card not in the supply.)


Jay


That's an interesting mechanism but seems not so powerful. Cost 2? I would have thought it could give you a discount on the card you buy, or something like that.

It costs $3 and also has "+2 coins."
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you want to buy one, you play treasure cards from your hand? and/or utilize +coins from actions already played? But then you might resume playing actions again? A little weird, but...

I'm already daydreaming of using the black market to get the only Chapel in the game... hotness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
It costs $3 and also has "+2 coins."


Ah, that explains it. Like a variant Woodcutter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
This sounds like one would want to make the stack of unused cards from the blue-bordered cards, then take the appropriate one from the box as needed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"But then you might resume playing actions again? A little weird, but..."

One of the first rules of TCGs (which this game modeled after) is that the text on the cards can and will alter the normal rules of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
kirkwb wrote:
"But then you might resume playing actions again? A little weird, but..."

One of the first rules of TCGs (which this game modeled after) is that the text on the cards can and will alter the normal rules of the game.


Indeed, and that's the beauty of it IMHO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
This sounds like one would want to make the stack of unused cards from the blue-bordered cards, then take the appropriate one from the box as needed.


That's exactly what I was thinking!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Black Market can give you access to cards that aren't in the current game? What a crapshoot card that is! Love it!

-MMM
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
(Before the game, make a Black Market deck out of
one copy of each Kingdom card not in the supply.)


I'm confused.

This means that the Black Market deck will contain a copy of each of the 15 cards that are not in the game, and no copy of the 10 cards that are in the game?

What about when the expansion comes out? If the expansion has 25 cards, then the black market deck balloons to 40 cards, making it much less likely that the card you're looking for will be available in your draw of 3 from the black market deck.

It seems odd to me that the mere existence of the expansion alters the characteristics of the black market card.

Still, an interesting card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.