Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this one lasts until March 15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions for those who have actually received and played with cards from artscow:

1) How thick is the cardstock? Is it decent quality? Some of the pics I've seen almost make it look like the cards have the "linen" texured finish that I love so much.

2) If you've played with artscow cards a lot, are there problems with image wear, or card wear in general? Do they seem to hold up well to many, many plays?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Two questions for those who have actually received and played with cards from artscow:

1) How thick is the cardstock? Is it decent quality? Some of the pics I've seen almost make it look like the cards have the "linen" texured finish that I love so much.

2) If you've played with artscow cards a lot, are there problems with image wear, or card wear in general? Do they seem to hold up well to many, many plays?

Thanks in advance!

I have received 6 decks from ArtsCow so far and have been very pleased. I was also lucky enough to have all different sorts of art on these cards to be able to tell what works well and what doesn't. To answer your questions directly:

1) They feel and look just like a deck of say Hoyle playing cards. A thin plastic card. They are of a decent weight but have a slick waxy finish, not a linen finish.

2) I have found that the cards hold up reasonably well if the card is completely covered in the print, meaning little white space. Aparently the white still has some tack value that is used to make the ink stick so to speak. Therefore the white parts of the card tend to pick up dirt and grime from your fingers and table quite easily. But for example my Free Trader deck is mostly color and has held up very well after a dozen or so plays.

I actually use Krylon Preserve It spray on all of my cards now and that has seemed to taken care of the smudging and such on the white areas of the cards. It kind of gives the cards a texture that may be off putting to some, but I don't mind it at all. Overall I have been very happy with the decks I have received especially for the price. One thing I would recommend though that if you are using big swatches of gray in your design to make sure the gray is black based not a color based gray. That is the only color that doesn't seem consistent with the rest of the print quality. By big swatches I mean like the background of the whole card.

I hope that helps.

*edit* typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Any ideas on how long this deal is going to go on? I'm already blowing through my game budget this month on these projects.
I'm in the same boat. And I'm burning up all my free time doing card design. My wife is gonna get pissed when all this starts showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
Any ideas on how long this deal is going to go on? I'm already blowing through my game budget this month on these projects.
I'm in the same boat. And I'm burning up all my free time doing card design. My wife is gonna get pissed when all this starts showing up.

I won't tell if you don't tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tell her the packages are for "Natural Male Enhancement" or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback, Brandon!

TGov wrote:
I have found that the cards hold up reasonably well if the card is completely covered in the print, meaning little white space. Aparently the white still has some tack value that is used to make the ink stick so to speak. Therefore the white parts of the card tend to pick up dirt and grime from your fingers and table quite easily. But for example my Free Trader deck is mostly color and has held up very well after a dozen or so plays.
This is a very good thing to know. I was considering leaving a white border around the edges of my card to reduce marking, so it's very good to know that this will actually increase the marking! Still, I'm hesitant to put bold colors right up to the edge of the card, because with wear they tend to get distinguising marks along the edges from shuffling ("Oh, that must be card X, because it has a color chip off the bottom corner on the back of the card").

So maybe the best plan would be to use a light-colored border, like maybe a very pale yellow, or off-white. That way, there will be ink on the "tacky" white part all the way to the edge, but the color will be subtle enough that edge ink chipping won't leave tell-tale marks.

Do you think this would work?

TGov wrote:
One thing I would recommend though that if you are using big swatches of gray in your design to make sure the gray is black based not a color based gray. That is the only color that doesn't seem consistent with the rest of the print quality. By big swatches I mean like the background of the whole card.
I won't be too concerned if the gray on the face of the card is slightly inconsistent or mottled. The back is my biggest concern -- to prevent distinguishing characteristics. I think I'll just avoid gray altogether on my back designs. Still, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "black-based" versus "color-based" gray. Can you expand on this?

TGov wrote:
I hope that helps.
Yes, it helped a lot.
Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So maybe the best plan would be to use a light-colored border, like maybe a very pale yellow, or off-white. That way, there will be ink on the "tacky" white part all the way to the edge, but the color will be subtle enough that edge ink chipping won't leave tell-tale marks.

Do you think this would work?

Yes, I think that would work pretty well actually.

Quote:
I won't be too concerned if the gray on the face of the card is slightly inconsistent or mottled. The back is my biggest concern -- to prevent distinguishing characteristics. I think I'll just avoid gray altogether on my back designs. Still, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "black-based" versus "color-based" gray. Can you expand on this?

You can make gray two different ways in a program like Photoshop. You can mix all of the colors together on the sliders to get the desired effect. This is how you can get a warmer or cooler gray. Then you just have a mixutre of white and black to make gray. This gray is usually more sterile and neutral but prints better.

I did the card backs in a solid gray on a Battleline set I made and the color varied all over the place and wasn't consistent. I learned my lesson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Raiderjakk wrote:
I'm glad I'm throwing $5.88 instead of $12.00 or so at it to find out, but still. I'm anxious to see what the cards look like once they come in.

Just FYI for those who aren't aware of them, the Guild of Blades does print-on-demand cards. If you are ordering at least 10 copies of a deck, their prices are pretty good. I've not used them myself, but I've gotten sample cards and they are very nice. Here is a video of someone with their cards.

Their pricing info is here: http://www.guildofblades.com/podcards-pricing.php

10 decks of 54 cards is $40.50, or $4.05 per deck.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, just planning on using their services eventually, but this Artscow deal is great for fewer identical decks and I plan on trying it out, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
cold_fuzion wrote:
My wife is gonna get pissed when all this starts showing up.

Two words: BUSINESS ADDRESS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know! Thanks for listing that. I might actually have some use for that once I get my game done

I just finished up the Bohnanza set. I just did the cards that are available in the RGG version. So it came out to almost exactly 3 decks

$15.97 for shipping, but I had 3 free deck credits. So, for about the same price as the base game, I have a custom set with amazing artwork This game will be a true testament to how well the cards hold up!

I will provide a link shortly of the corrected files to use for ArtsCow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correctly sized Bohnanza cards can be found HERE

I zoomed out twice on each card in the designer and I think that gives it a good border. I zoomed out 4 times on the card backs. There is enough slots to make the required amount of cards and 8 3rd bean fields.

I hope it works out for you. Like I said these are just the 4-24 cards from the RGG edition. If you just want to make the original edition you can just use those cards if you want.

Again, thanks to Carthaginian for the use of these wonderful files!

Thanks

TGov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Chen
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the preview for the card designer is confusing me. On the preview page, the image that is labeled "back" is what I intended as the card front. The image labeled front says "Your photo here" and is blank. It seems the designer is easy to use but the preview is not agreeing with my intentions. Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm still waiting to hear back from guild of blades concerning prototypes of my game Infected!. Artscow is better for projects like we are all doing now, single or very few decks, which happen to fit well within the 54 card limit. GoB is better for bulk orders (I myself plan to do ~20-25 99 card decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I actually use Krylon Preserve It spray on all of my cards now and that has seemed to taken care of the smudging and such on the white areas of the cards. It kind of gives the cards a texture that may be off putting to some, but I don't mind it at all. Overall I have been very happy with the decks I have received especially for the price. One thing I would recommend though that if you are using big swatches of gray in your design to make sure the gray is black based not a color based gray. That is the only color that doesn't seem consistent with the rest of the print quality. By big swatches I mean like the background of the whole card.

I hope that helps.

What gloss level of Krylon Preserve It spray do you use? I've got a set of cards I printed on cardstock at home and I'm looking for a way to "plasticize" them by puting some type of coating on them to make them stiffer and slippy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Executioner wrote:
Quote:

I hope that helps.

What gloss level of Krylon Preserve It spray do you use? I've got a set of cards I printed on cardstock at home and I'm looking for a way to "plasticize" them by puting some type of coating on them to make them stiffer and slippy...

I use the matte version. It seems to react differently on paper than it does the cards from AC. I sprayed my counters I made for Valor & Victory and they don't have a texture like the cards do. It isn't "slippy" like you are talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaschen wrote:
Using the preview for the card designer is confusing me. On the preview page, the image that is labeled "back" is what I intended as the card front. The image labeled front says "Your photo here" and is blank. It seems the designer is easy to use but the preview is not agreeing with my intentions. Any help?

Go by what you see in the designer and not on the preview page!! What you see in the actual card designer is what you will get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tgov,
Just wanted to say this site is awesome - thanks for pointing it out! Had no idea how easy it was for cards and other stuff.

I also noticed they have a 3"x6" jewelry bag that you can customize! Wish it was a little bit bigger...would maybe be great for custom tile drawing bags, but seems maybe a bit small. (maybe I should suggest a larger bag to them...they would probably get a ton of BGG business). This bag could maybe still be used to store bits or other stuff for special games. For instance, just got Flowerpower and would be great to create a nice flower themed bag instead of the plain bag it comes with.

Have you happened to order one of those bags?

Some of the totes might be good for toting games around, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lawn
United Kingdom
Llangefni
Anglesey
flag msg tools
mbmb
So there isn't a ton of duplicated work, can people post what card files they have split up for using on Artscow? I'd like to create the decktet, but my image-fu is not very strong - and it seems like -somebody- must have already split the file apart into individual images...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avlawn wrote:
So there isn't a ton of duplicated work, can people post what card files they have split up for using on Artscow? I'd like to create the decktet, but my image-fu is not very strong - and it seems like -somebody- must have already split the file apart into individual images...

Thanks!

Why not everyone post to the geeklist with links to their files that they have made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39565

And if you are wondering where to host the files, I highly recommend drop.io , while waiting for BGG to approve the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avlawn wrote:

Thanks!

There's a file for the decktet cards already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
avlawn wrote:

Thanks!

There's a file for the decktet cards already
Yeap, I submitted the files back in November for this very purpose.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/36691
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I just recently had Artscow print me 4 sets of Agricola X-Deck and they turned out wonderfully. Plus I did 6 sets of Free Trader for Christmas presents last year. They are awesome!

Here's a pic of my X Deck.

I've had a lot of requests for my Artscow files I made to print out a copy of the Agricola X-Deck. So I've put them up on a site for download. Just Geekmail me and I'll send you the link.

I'll be out over the weekend so will get back to any requests either Sunday night or Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing a Nandeck version of Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper. It's currently out of print in English.

Details on downloading the images in the Artscow Geeklist if anyone is interested: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39565
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |