BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Sweden

Subject: Trip to Stockholm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife always complains that my birthday gifts are things than can actually be used as opposed to colorful stuff that stands on the table for a week before she has to throw it in the trash. Not her exact words, but something like that.

So this year she turned 30. She threw a surprise party when I got 30 and I thought it wouldn't be a surprise if I did the same so I chose something else: a city trip to Stockholm. She always wanted to visit Sweden but never dared to actually make the plans. So I made the arrangements in her place.

She's very happy about going to Stockholm, although rather disappointed about not having a party. I guess I'll never understand women.

Now the actual question: we'll be in Stockholm for 3 days. Any advise on what we have to see? We usually like museums / neat old buildings and stuff like that. I guess the Vasamuseet and a walk through Gamla Stan are good options. Any other things we have to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: Good choice! I usually take my wife to Stockholm once a year and we always have a blast!

I'm not an expert, but I was actually born there!

I'd say that Gamla Stan and "Djurgården" is two obvious places but also "Kungsträdgården" and the fine parks around there is a must. The national museum is another must and I really recommend that you attend the "cosmonova", which is a top class movie theater where you watch amazing movies through 3D thanks to (from what I have learned) Sweden's one and only IMAX-theater.

Also don't miss out on the local ferry trips, which lets you see the amazing coasal areas around the city!

Ps. There are also a lot of boardgames stores there for you cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
And do check out the couchsurfing page, there is a lot of stuff happening via that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

She is also into literature. I know there is a library/museum with some old books that might be worth to check out, but can't remember the name. Maybe a Pippi Långstrump museum ? I'm also interested in good book shops and good places to eat and go out at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Lind
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, why not combine gamestore/bookstore?
Science fiction bokhandeln (the sci-fi bookstore)
Västerlånggatan 48, Stockholm
Postadress: Box 2300 103 17 Stockholm
E-mail: fragor@sfbok.se Tel: 08/21 50 52

You probably have cheaper gamestores in germany though, but if you are after some of the english games, you might be lucky here.
And if I'm not wrong it's actually in "gamla stan" (the old town).

With the Euro-SEK exchange rate I'd imagine you can find a lot of good shopping too.

Regarding museums or libraries:
http://www.kb.se/hjalp/other-languages/deutsch/
The royal library, I have no idea if this is interesting for you.

The modern museum:
http://www.modernamuseet.se/v4/templates/template6.asp?lang=...

The castle might be worth a visit too. Or something royal in general.
http://www.royalcourt.se/royalcourt.4.367010ad11497db6cba800...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

She is also into literature. I know there is a library/museum with some old books that might be worth to check out, but can't remember the name. Maybe a Pippi Långstrump museum ? I'm also interested in good book shops and good places to eat and go out at night.
The "Junibacken" museum, which is not so much a museum as a tour through Astrid Lindgrens books is just a minute or two from the "Vasamuseum". Worth checking out, but is a bigger hit if you have children with you.

You don't say when you're going to go to Stockholm, but if you can choose then I suggest late May/early June, though weekend of the 6th might not be a good idea as it's the national day here in Sweden and everything is turned upside down. During this time Skansen is THE place to go, an open air museum with some nordic animals and lot's of buildings from the 17th - 19th century. Wonderful place, if it's nice weather. Also about a 5m walk from the Vasamuseum. And the amusement park "Gröna Lund" may be worth a visit.

The scifi bookstore is one of my favorite places in Stockholm when it comes to shopping. Other than that I suggest you take a walk through Gamla stan, but with the exception of the scifi bookstore, the place is not a good place for shopping. you'll find better deals elsewhere on almost everything. Near Sergels torg is a better starting point, and walk north to Hötorget and you'll find more interesting things to shop. If you then continue on Sveavägen IIRC you'll find the main library of Stockholm right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the library I was looking for is called the Kungliga. Not sure if it's interesting enough.

Quote:
You probably have cheaper gamestores in germany though
Germany? Not sure. It's been a while since I've been there and my German isn't that good.

Quote:
Love this. My wife is into sci-fi so we are certainly going there.

Quote:
You don't say when you're going to go to Stockholm,
We'll be there from April 6 to April 8.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Lind
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

Germany? Not sure. It's been a while since I've been there and my German isn't that good.
I'm sooo sorry, I just saw a Black, yellow and red flag, and my brain just connected to germany and stopped working.

And this is the "kungliga" (royal) library, and in englist, not german:
http://www.kb.se/hjalp/english/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Conbarris wrote:
Well, why not combine gamestore/bookstore?
Västerlånggatan 48, Stockholm
Postadress: Box 2300 103 17 Stockholm
E-mail: fragor@sfbok.se Tel: 08/21 50 52

And if you happen to be there on a Tuesday night, why not visit
the boardgame night at
Dragon's Lair
Kungsholmstorg 8
T-bana (subway) Radhuset

Btw I seccond the recommendation of Skansen (Djurgarden)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skansen looks great. There is even special Easter stuff when we're there.

Quote:
I'm sooo sorry, I just saw a Black, yellow and red flag, and my brain just connected to germany and stopped working.
No problem, they often get the flags mixed up. I believe some sponsors at the Olympics even got it wrong on the equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls