Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the USA for six days in March. I'll mainly be spending time in Washington and Boston. Are there any game stores worth a visit while I'm in town?

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games People Play, in Harvard Square, is pretty awesome. Unsure if they have much in the way of people randomly playing, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemonium Books and Games in Central Square, Cambridge. Wonderful place with sci-fi books on top and games and Wednesday night Euro gaming below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the Games People Play, you may want to check out Pandemonium Games and Books (also in Cambridge) or Danger Planet (in Waltham). The second two are more likely to have game playing in the store, on top of the shopping experience.

If you're looking to find people to play games with, you could try posting in the Unity Games Guid, or on the yahoo group. You might even get some offers to play if simply post the dates you are going to be in town in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
For Boston:

The Games People Play
1100 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 617-492-0711
http://www.thegamespeopleplaycambridge.com/

Located off Harvard Square. Euros, a few wargames, mass market games, chess and go and books on both, lots of puzzles. This is the first store to have carried Euros back in the early 1980s.

The Compleat Strategist, Boston Mass
957 COMMONWEALTH AVE
BOSTON, MA 02215
617-254-1166
Hours: Monday-Friday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday - 10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday - 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Sells Euro's, RPG's, CCG's, and gaming supplies. Impressive selection of board wargames. I frequented this store, when it was located near Symphony Hall, when I was in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Murphy
United States
Manassas
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you referring to Washington, DC or the State of Washington (opposite sides of the country)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eureka Games in Collige corner is good too. Let me know when you are around as there are also plenty of game nights throughout the week if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
In addition to the Games People Play, you may want to check out Pandemonium Games and Books (also in Cambridge) or Danger Planet (in Waltham). The second two are more likely to have game playing in the store, on top of the shopping experience.

If you're looking to find people to play games with, you could try posting in the Unity Games Guid, or on the yahoo group. You might even get some offers to play if simply post the dates you are going to be in town in this thread.
FYI - Waltham is reachable via public transportation. Cambridge is right on the subway (called the "T" around these parts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Move Games is located just off Davis Square (on the red line of the subway system). Its a small store/company, but a decent selection of euros in addition to the CCGs and minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nonnymouse wrote:
Are you referring to Washington, DC or the State of Washington (opposite sides of the country)?

Sorry - Washington DC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a COmpleat Strategist in Falls Church, VA, as well. Depending on where in DC you're staying, it might not be too much of a hassle. Falls Church isn't that far from downtown DC. Of course, I live here, so I know where I'm going. Navigating into the Commonwealth might not be so easy for a visitor.

If it turns out you're up for some adventure, I can give you directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also check out the Game Parlor. There are 2 locations near Washington, one in Chantilly, and one in Woodbridge (both Virginia).

www.gameparlor.com

Excellent stores, but I am afraid no public transport from DC. You will need a car.

Hope you enjoy your time in the US.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a great time.

On the off chance it comes up, refrain from saying anything positive about the NY Yankees while in Boston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary

I've visited all the Boston and DC game stores that have been mentioned. The Boston ones are both worth a visit. The Complete Strategist in Falls Church was quite small, but had a good selection of war games when I was there a few years ago.

Having said that, I'm over here in the States at present and with the price increases and poor exchange rate, for the first time I can remember it is cheaper to buy games in the UK rather than from brick & mortar stores over here. If you can get someone who you can meet up with to order you some games from Internet stores then you can save big time.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. It's my first visit to the USA and I'm looking forward to it. It is a working trip and I have a pretty heavy itinerary but hopefully I can see a store or two. I agree Paul the plummet of Sterling makes some of the bricks and mortar prices less appealing. I may be able to get some on line purchases shipped to my Boston hotel I guess...!

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got a car, Dream Wizards in Rockville, MD and The Family Game Store in Savage, MD are both very good. The last time I was at Dream Wizards, they had dedicated a LOT of space to CCG and mini tourney's on the weekend. I thought their stock was very heavy in that direction and very light on board games.

Family Game Store is at the opposite extreme. Their main focus is boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpowers wrote:
You can also check out the Game Parlor. There are 2 locations near Washington, one in Chantilly, and one in Woodbridge (both Virginia).

www.gameparlor.com

Excellent stores, but I am afraid no public transport from DC. You will need a car.

Hope you enjoy your time in the US.

Bill

I second Bill's recommendation. Game Parlor's stores have the broadest selection of games in northern Virginia, including euro-games, traditional games, wargames, CCGs (including many that have been out of print of years), RPGs, a large selection of military/s-f/&fantasy miniatures, and gaming accessories.

Well worth the drive if you have a car. The Chantilly store is only about 10 minutes from Dulles Airport (use Rt 28 south to US Rt 50). The Woodbridge store is about 20-30 minutes from downtown DC in non-rushhour traffic, and very accessible from Interstate-95.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, www.gamesurplus.com reliably gets games to me in DC within 24-48 hours of ordering. Do you know where you're staying in DC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
For what it's worth, www.gamesurplus.com reliably gets games to me in DC within 24-48 hours of ordering. Do you know where you're staying in DC?

I too can vouch for the speed of their delivery to this area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definetely suggest Your Move Games. Those guys are my #1 FLGS. The owner is a great guy too. They moved recently, I haven't seen the new store yet. If you need any help while you're here, give me a ring. I'm in North Dartmouth right now (its about an hour and a half from Boston) but I might be back and forth sporadically on the weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary,

I'd recommend Games Parlor in Chantilly, very near Dulles. Dream Wizards is nice but heavily devoted to CCG and there's no easy way to get there. You could spend hours in Games Parlor and I believe there's a public bus service (NOT that I'm recommending a DC bus). Much more diverse and wonderful people to help you while you're visiting.

As far as the exchange rate, finding the games you want and take someone up on having boardgamesurplus send the goods is a good suggestion. But, Games Parlor is a great store and there's nothing like holding your future treasure.

If you want to get together for a game, send me a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to mention the Newbury Comics stores throughout Boston Metro. They aren't a full on game store by any means but have tons of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveB wrote:
I'd recommend Games Parlor in Chantilly, very near Dulles. Dream Wizards is nice but heavily devoted to CCG and there's no easy way to get there. You could spend hours in Games Parlor and I believe there's a public bus service (NOT that I'm recommending a DC bus).

It would be hellish to get to Games Parlor from DC on public transit. By contrast, Dream Wizards is a reasonable walk from the Red Line (Metrorail) stop at White Flint. That said, I don't think I'd spend time on a short vacation venturing out to Dream Wizards. And I'd probably go to Games Parlor if and only if I were flying in or out of Dulles and had a rental car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Virginia
msg tools
Just to be sure... let's keep the spelling correct (singular and Americanized) in case you need to look it up...

Game Parlor

Chantilly Location
Sully Place Shopping Center
13936 Metrotech Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone: (703) 803-3114
Fax: (703) 803-3115

Woodbridge Location
Prince William Square Shopping Center
14400 Smoketown Road
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Phone: (703) 551-4200
Fax: (703) 490-1888

Hours at both stores
11:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Everyday!
(Open every holiday except Christmas)

{my note - used to be 10 PM, wow, that makes for a tight fit for a weeknight miniatures game, of course they used to also lock the doors and let you stay a little after closing to finish}

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and checks accepted

http://www.gameparlor.com/

and I heartily second/third/fourth the recommendation. The Woodbridge store is a few years newer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bidwa

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone else looking for stores in the DC area finds this thread (as I did), you should save yourself the trip to Game Parlor unless you're looking for CCG or miniatures (and I'm not so sure about the miniatures, but it's not an area of expertise). Their board game selection is fairly old (and lots of them are weirdly sun-faded) and pretty well picked over, with only a few new games. They do have a lot of old (mostly pre-2008) RPG materials, but they're all shrinkwrapped so it's hard to tell if any of what's left is worth paying MSRP for. They do seem to support a number of gaming groups (or at least provide a space for a lot of people to play), but as far as I could tell it was mostly CCG-type play.

Comparatively, the Compleat Strategist in Falls Church has a more interesting selection of board games and RPG materials. It's a very small store (no hidden stashes of used treasures -- curses!), but apparently much more actively curated than Game Parlor. I would go back to Compleat Strategist; I won't go back to Game Parlor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |