Subject: Aintitcoolnews confirmed Space Hulk! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Holz
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
That French site is formidable! I especially liked the fan-created art for doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falsedan wrote:
That French site is formidable! I especially liked the fan-created art for doors.

Those doors are from the video game Doom 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeadlyEd wrote:
Prepainted is probly too much to ask from GW.

Somehow I can't imagine GW missing the chance to sell more of their crappy paints to the innocent unknowing children out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is wrong with their paints? Which ones do you like? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falsedan wrote:

Check out the fan-created command point counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it comes out I'll buy one as long as it's geared toward a board gamer and not a minis gamer.
But I'm not gonna hold my breath...
Or in this case, I'm not gonna clear out space on the old game shelf just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm sure if the game does get released again, it would still be with unpainted plastics that require assembly.

If that's enough to turn you off, then you are missing one heck of a game. Painting wasn't required, the marines were a different color than the genestealers, and even without paint the figures were incredibly different (4 arms vs 2). We played this for years with unpainted miniatures and it still is one of my favorites.

These days the newish dipping products for quickly painting a large number of figures would be a good option. You could certainly improve the look with minimal effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngoike wrote:

These days the newish dipping products for quickly painting a large number of figures would be a good option. You could certainly improve the look with minimal effort.

Dipping products? Could you give us an example or link? Sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
North Haledon
NJ
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Dipping products? Could you give us an example or link? Sounds interesting.

http://www.dysartes.com/model/painting/Dipping1.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These guys sell products that do what I mentioned. They have really good guides, look under single miniatures for specific examples.

http://www.thearmypainter.com/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but think that, even if this is true, GW will do something to mess it up like they did to 2nd edition, where the tiles and minis were all gorgeous improvements but where the rules took a hit and 1st edition's expansions got left behind.

But that's just the pessimist in me talking. If this rumor is real, it's awesome.

Bulwyf wrote:
*crosses fingers*
Please be first edition rules.
*crosses fingers*

-Will

Amen. Please be first edition's rules. Let it be a reprint, not a redo. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope -- like I'm sure alot of us out in the Space Hulk community -- that GW releases this.

I highly doubt they'd make it imcompatible with the Fifth Ed rules (the latest), like going back to the original Space Hulk rules. But one can hope!

The KILL TEAM scenario GW does work (off the Aussiue GW site), but it does tend to slow down the game.

I know people around here that use the 3rd Ed 40K rules, and they seem to play out very well. No timer of course, but they have fun all the same.

I've played the different rules (1st, 2nd, Genestealer, and 3rd Ed. 40K style, etc) and always fall back to the first ed rules from the original Space Hulk, and let's face it, no matter what they'd come out with, if the rules sets doesn't work, the lot of us will be playing first ed rules with new their components anyway.

There's enough sites out there and here on the 'Geek to get enough rules to play any style a person wants. And I highly recommend that French site listed here.

GW has a special opportunity here to redistribute something great.

Maybe even make it expandable for ALL races, something Space Hulk fans around the world have done anyway.

If GW EVER had a gateway game to 40K -- Space Hulk is it, in my humble opinion.

LONG LIVE SPACE HULK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yoyomama wrote:

GW has a special opportunity here to redistribute something great.

Yep, they do. Assuming that this isnt just a rumour obviously. I do hope that its not though.

Assuming that it is going to go ahead I do have a concern. Seeing as the more recent Terminator models have the larger base size (and even the newer Genestealer models are are bit bigger, even though their bases are identical) it is quite possible that GW would produce the floorplans with larger squares. Just like the downloadable versions from the Australian GW site.

It is to my mind doubtless that any new edition of SH would be intended to bring in new players to the entire WH40K/GW "hobby". Therefore it seems that compatible base size with the current 40K range is a given really, and those bases really are too big for the current floorplans.

This obviously wouldnt really have any effect on new SH players other than requiring them to set up the game on an even larger table than the earlier editions did. It would however irritate existing players (like me) if the new floorplans didnt connect to the old ones. Two incompatible sets of floor plans for the same game would be a pain.

Anyway, I for one hope that if they actually are going to give this game the re-release that it deserves and that it is physically fully compatible with the older versions. [CROSSES FINGERS]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you....I had just gotten out of Warhammer 40K and now you taunt me with this.

To get my hopes up that one of GW's BEST products (along with Lost Patrol) could make a comeback. Awesome! Two sets please....if they have plastic tiles like Mighty Empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:

If you own all three of the original boxed sets, then you have more than enough tiles to play the game. I see no need whatsoever to add further still to that stockpile.

You can never have too many tiles for Space Hulk, but I agree with you that, assuming this rumor is even true, any new tiles would almost certainly not be compatible with the tiles of the older sets. I'm more of a mind to simply hope that a reprint of Space Hulk might possibly cause Ebay prices for the older sets to drop a little thereby enabling me to acquire more 1st edition tiles for more reasonable prices than they currently go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until space hulk is out, or not, I try the beta rules (+boards, +cards, +missions) from Incursion.
They are online!
http://www.incursiongame.com/pages/downloads

It seems that this game has many similarities with space hulk.
'Sturmzombies' are cool.

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
Until space hulk is out, or not, I try the beta rules (+boards, +cards, +missions) from Incursion.
They are online!
http://www.incursiongame.com/pages/downloads

It seems that this game has many similarities with space hulk.
'Sturmzombies' are cool.

-Chris

surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise surprise

Whoah... That looks absolutely awesome... I've never even heard of this one before. Thank you for posting that. Now I have to go check it out thoroughly. thumbsup

LordHellfury wrote:

Incursion seems like a nice game, and I certainly have bought a few minis for it myself, but this is a spacehulk thread. There is already a spot to discuss incursion elsewhere.

All the same, I'm glad he did. If he hadn't, I wouldn't even know that it existed. It doesn't appear too dissimilar to the basic idea of Space Hulk, and, if both games are a possibility in the next year, I appreciate his at least mentioning it in a thread where like-minded people might be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I appreciate his at least mentioning it in a thread where like-minded people might be interested.

That was my intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McCarthy
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Helljin wrote:
A lot of bitter reply's on AICN about Games Workshop.

There are bitter replies about every post ever made on AICN.

If there is a black cesspool of forums, AICN is third from the bottom...followed by WWTDD.com and then Foxsports.com, which is just...uh...

Don't forget the IMDB.com forums! I like to see how many posts it takes for someone to bring up politics or say something racist. It is usually within the first ten.

I am really hoping for a new edition of this game. I played the second edition years ago. I have some friends who love playing miniature war games but cannot spend the money to build an army. Plus I love the 40k setting. I think GW can pull this off at a reasonable price since their last starter set was around $60 and came with tons of figures (including Terminators).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything new on this rumor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

I have actually seen the prototype of the new version. They are testing it out here because it's a niche market and they hope the information wouldn't leak.. well, too bad they ran into a BGG'er.

Anyway, the new version involves the following:

- Plastic hallway pieces that stand on small legs so you can reach underneath with magnet sticks (explained beneath).

- Each miniature has a small magnet on its base. Addionally, genestealers are fitted with a small battery which makes them move their arms

- To reinforce the "realistic experience" (as stated in the manual), you are not allowed to touch the pieces directly but have to use magnetic sticks which you stick under the boards and use them to move the figures "remotely". This sounds ridicilous but actually works just fine. GW stated that if this catches on, they think about including "magnet sticks" in the Warhammer series.

- SH has a new ruleset that does away with those pesky " 4 action points" and "command points" and uses a much more elegant system: you throw a little 6-sided cube with numbers 1 to 6 on it; the number you see on the top when it stops rolling is the number of "action points" you have on the turn. Genious!

Anyway I would post some pics but I don't want to breach the signed "prototype test" contract too much.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Yes!

I have actually seen the prototype of the new version. They are testing it out here because it's a niche market and they hope the information wouldn't leak.. well, too bad they ran into a BGG'er.

Anyway, the new version involves the following:

- Plastic hallway pieces that stand on small legs so you can reach underneath with magnet sticks (explained beneath).

- Each miniature has a small magnet on its base. Addionally, genestealers are fitted with a small battery which makes them move their arms

- To reinforce the "realistic experience" (as stated in the manual), you are not allowed to touch the pieces directly but have to use magnetic sticks which you stick under the boards and use them to move the figures "remotely". This sounds ridicilous but actually works just fine. GW stated that if this catches on, they think about including "magnet sticks" in the Warhammer series.

- SH has a new ruleset that does away with those pesky " 4 action points" and "command points" and uses a much more elegant system: you throw a little 6-sided cube with numbers 1 to 6 on it; the number you see on the top when it stops rolling is the number of "action points" you have on the turn. Genious!

Anyway I would post some pics but I don't want to breach the signed "prototype test" contract too much.

Cheers!

Pppft. Actual news only please, Mr Troll... angry

Some of us actually want to know if this game is going to come out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's just April fooling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
He's just April fooling.

Crap blush

Sorry baba... Should have guessed!

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even need to check the date to spot that one. Board pieces on legs and magnets on sticks, indeed. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.