Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a store in St Augustine Florida.
It's a tourist trap area.
The store as it is now, is a cross between a
Antique store/Gift Shop/Gallery/Junk/Old Book Store.
I want to try selling some games too,
Historical themed in particular.
I need a list of game distributors and contact numbers.
And Advice!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a tourist trap area, I'd focus on small games. Travelers like to buy stuff, but not stuff they can't pack in their suitcase to take home. Stock the FF Silver Line, for example.

my 2 cents from a guy who never ran a store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
Owns one of the good FLGSs :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
You bought a store before even talking to any distributors? Man, you're a brave dude! I'll send you a note offline with the distributors I use and who has been good and who has been bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
Pirate themed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
You bought a store before even talking to any distributors? Man, you're a brave dude! I'll send you a note offline with the distributors I use and who has been good and who has been bad.

Thanks. The store already has a (non-game) inventory, and I'll be selling stuff like bronzes and paintings as well. It's a very eclectic store. I could sell absolutely anything at all. I don't plan on turning it into a game store, but there is room for a few games on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.alliance-games.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpspawngames wrote:
fsumarc wrote:

Thanks. The store already has a (non-game) inventory, and I'll be selling stuff like bronzes and paintings as well. It's a very eclectic store. I could sell absolutely anything at all. I don't plan on turning it into a game store, but there is room for a few games on the shelf.

OK, I sent you a mini-novel email
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:

Unfortunately, as an American store, they're your best source. I hate them and their ridiculous business practices visa vis international buyers (in particular Canadian), but you don't have to worry about that down in Florida

Did I mention Alliance makes me sick-up in my own mouth? Did I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
Unfortunately, as an American store, they're your best source.

Not even close to the best source. That only comes into play when they are the ONLY source (for their exclusive lines). gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Pirate themed games.

Pirates definitely! The area attracts a lot of reenactors for certain events (British Night Watch Parade, Ghost Tours, Victory in Europe Day), so I think some historical themed games will work as well. Conquistador stuff, exploration/discovery themes, Colonial Era, American Revolution, Civil War, etc. Daytona is close, so Racing games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:
Unfortunately, as an American store, they're your best source.

Not even close to the best source. That only comes into play when they are the ONLY source (for their exclusive lines). gulp

Sorry, "best" was the wrong word -- best one-stop shop is maybe the better way to put it. Obviously there are tons of options (and you'd know FAR better than I do!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpspawngames wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Pirate themed games.

Pirates definitely! The area attracts a lot of reenactors for certain events (British Night Watch Parade, Ghost Tours, Victory in Europe Day), so I think some historical themed games will work as well. Conquistador stuff, exploration/discovery themes, Colonial Era, American Revolution, Civil War, etc. Daytona is close, so Racing games too.

You can order direct from GMT, and they're a pleasure to deal with. I usually go through Tony Curtis to order, and Laetitia (sp?) at the warehouse.

GMT Games
P.O. Box 1308
Hanford, CA 93232 U.S.A
Ph: (800) 523-6111 (Office/Warehouse)
Fx: (559) 582-7775
Tony Curtis (Sales): a_curtis@sbcglobal.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
The big distributors I know of are Alliance, ACD, and Blackhawk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PHD is another really good distributor that my FLGS uses. I met some of the people back at GTS08, and they were some of the nicest people there.

I would also go with ACD for the "non-exclusive" items. Another great company to deal with.

Use Alliance only when you must - i.e. "exclusives" such as DoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For tourists you might want some nice themed games like Reef Encounter, Wasabi! etc. to catch their eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thumb just for the stupidity bravery of the original poster. devil

But seriously, best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick thanks to everyone. Including those who did not post here, but wrote me directly. Good leads, advice, and ahem... constructive criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Stay on the good side of these dudes.

Good luck, Lloyd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:
Stay on the good side of these dudes.

Good luck, Lloyd!

Sweet!!!
Inside Joke here.
For those of you wondering, the cards use a template for a game called
Deities & Demidice:
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/warpspawn/DADD.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I took her on her Maiden Voyage yesterday. I sold $65 worth of stuff, including a game! (The first sale was a pair of yellow tinted sunglasses) It was a Muppet Chess Set. I sold it for $25. I had it set up so people could play with it, and sure enough it sold. I'll keep a record here of what games I have and what I sell. The games are only a small fraction of the Inventory, but I don't think you also want to hear about the golf clubs, luggage, and cameras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
How's it going, Lloyd? How many days a week is your shop open? I'm just curious.

If I were a tourist, I would pay bucks for one of those toy wind-up, chattering skeleton heads:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:
How's it going, Lloyd? How many days a week is your shop open? I'm just curious.

If I were a tourist, I would pay bucks for one of those toy wind-up, chattering skeleton heads:

So far I've been open only 2 days. I already have a full time job as a pharmacist, so I can only get there 3-4 days a week. My wife will be able to cover more days after tax season is over. I figure on a rotating 2 week schedule we can have the store open every 9 out of 14 days.

Cool. Now I'm not just a Bobble head, I'm a Chattering Head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls