Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is a fun game. Once you get the hang of the 'carrier islands rule' it becomes a very balanced and tense game. The sea areas are carefully apportioned and sized so that certain islands or island chains become very important as airbases. And these airbases can patrol/control the sea around them.

This second game I played saw a close win by the Japanese (J) (reaching and holding their economic goal) before America (A) could place an airbase on the Kuril Islands to bomb Japan.

The J. took Australia in a surprise lack of reinforcement by A. Port Moresby fell soon after that. New Britain changed hands several times, and Guadalcanal was hard fought over. J. took Midway and Wake early but lost them lately to the NorthWesterly moving A. forces.

Going by the Sea Warfare Doctrine of keeping their fleets massed the two Navies clashed only in minor side skirmishes. Both Grand Fleets circled each other like Hawks, neither stronger enough to commit. The J. made good use of their battleships and some destroyers in bombardment to support invasions. The mighty Yamamoto only seeing action (but how!) in this way.

The A. mistake was to be sending all loaded transports north at the end, thus none were close enough to take back some J. gains and so prolong the war until their fatal nuclear attack on Japan was possible.
Perhaps it was the efficient J. air base and fleet deterrent that stopped them. Although, as the A. Grand Fleet was stronger by this point (with several J. BB's away aiding invasions), it may have behooved them to force the mighty clash neither dared to contemplate.

All in all an easy to grasp, and thoughtful to play game. Well done Conquest Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say this is a session report rather than a review. I agree though that this is a great little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Battle
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am certainly glad you like it. Your description sounds like many of the games we've played. After years of playing it, it is still one of my favorite games to play...for a pure wargame experience.

Kyle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.