Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed playing this game when it came out. I like games with lots of open space and low counter density. Get the book Where Were Soldiers Once and Young, makes the game that much more interesting. Nice to see people are still taking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be Garryowen! (as apposed to Gary Owen). Its a place. 3/7th Cav uses it (and I think those bastard 1st div smucks copied us). Yes, the same 3/7 Cav that was at little bighorn, wounded knee, and was at the tip of the spear all the way through Iraq.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gary Owen - the song
Garyowen is the English mauling of the Gaelic Garrai Eoin which means, sort-a-kind-a-in-a-round-a-bout-way "Owen's Garden," a place near, and now part of, Limerick. The song hails back to the mid 1700s or so and started life as the Scottish tune The Campbells are Coming.

Custer, who heard it during the Civil War, liked the tune and adopted it as the 7th Cavalry regiment's marching song.

It's typically spelled as one word, but the place it references and the it's Gaelic root are two words - so you're both right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Barry
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Also there was no formal battalion or squadron organization in the US Cav at the time of the Little Bighorn. Battalions and squadrons were generally ad-hoc organizations formed to meet immediate operational or tactical requirements. Company or troop was the only formal units of a regiment.Therefore it's more appropriate to talk about them in terms of their temporary commander and not using a battalion number as they had none. They were also often referred to as wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m blind? Where is the review? blushninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell/Karen Morse
United States
WOONSOCKET
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes...where is the review? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morsecrossing wrote:
yes...where is the review? zombie

Only those of high breeding can see it - I particularly like the third paragraph.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.