Subject: Game stores in Chicago rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Chicagoland [+] Chitown [+] [View All]
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Next month my fiancee will be in Chicago on business and has a day away from meetings & etc.

She is prepared, at least for an hour or two, to visit a game store on my behalf.

Can anyone recommend a game store in or close to the Chicago Central Business District that has both reasonable prices and a good range of products?

I am particularly hoping to get a copy of the Conan game as it is still months away from arriving in Australia.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MF4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat and Mouse Games (http://www.cat-n-mouse.com/) is going to be your best bet if you want to stay close to downtown. It's about a 15 minute train ride out. The stock is quite good for being a fairly small store and the owners are great, so I'm sure they could order and hold Conan for you if they don't already have it. The really huge store in Chicagoland is Games Plus, but they're a ways out of the city. It would be hard to get out there, shop, and get back in only a couple hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of their locations relative to the business district, but a little google mapping or a phone call can help with that:

Cat & Mouse
2212 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
www.cat-n-mouse.com

Chicagoland Games
1207 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue
Chicago, IL 60660
www.chicagolandgames.com

Black Sun Games
5426 N. Kedzie
Chicago, IL 60625
www.blacksungameschicago.com

Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:
I'm not sure of their locations relative to the business district...
Cat and Mouse is much closer to downtown than the other two, both of which are at the ends of their respective rail lines. And Black Sun doesn't have that much of a board game selection in the first place, certainly not better than Cat and Mouse. I haven't been to Chicagoland Games yet, which is kind of silly considering I work about 4 blocks from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been to the other two mentioned, but I think Cat & Mouse is a great place for your girlfriend to visit. The owner (Linda) is awesome and if you want a specific game then you can let her know and I'm sure that she'll order it for you. It's also in a nice/trendy part of town (Bucktown/Wicker Park) with lots of shops, boutiques, and restaurants that may interest your fiancee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeyHemlock wrote:
It's also in a nice/trendy part of town (Bucktown/Wicker Park) with lots of shops, boutiques, and restaurants that may interest your fiancee.
Hey now... I live just a few blocks from Black Sun. We've got lots of... um... wholesale sock and undergarment stores that I'm sure she'd love to visit. What could be better than playing a brand-new game in some fresh skivvies, acquired at rock-bottom prices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your prompt and very helpful answers.

I'll contact Cat-n-Mouse and maybe get a copy of Conan reserved.

Whiel I have the attention of you Chicagoers, can anyone recommend some sightseeing activities in the Windy City?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Millenium park is great - the bean and fountains and gardens are fantastic. Not sure how the gardens will be in March though.

We have several world class museums- Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry.

My place to avoid - navy pier- it's a big shopping mall.

Of course just walking Michigan avenue is pretty cool with tall buildings and shopping.

Decent size, vibrant chinatown - a bit bigger than the chinatown in Sydney (can't speak to Canberra)

If you like to run, there is no better place than along the lakefront.

tons of great restaurants - should be it own thread but this site is about games not eating.

the neighborhood Cat-n-Mouse is in is worth a walk thru - it's pretty hip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pjmcnamara wrote:
Millenium park is great - the bean and fountains and gardens are fantastic. Not sure how the gardens will be in March though.

We have several world class museums- Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry.

My place to avoid - navy pier- it's a big shopping mall.

Of course just walking Michigan avenue is pretty cool with tall buildings and shopping.

Decent size, vibrant chinatown - a bit bigger than the chinatown in Sydney (can't speak to Canberra)

If you like to run, there is no better place than along the lakefront.

tons of great restaurants - should be it own thread but this site is about games not eating.

the neighborhood Cat-n-Mouse is in is worth a walk thru - it's pretty hip.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the good ideas. I'll pass them on to "she who would like to be obeyed" (we're not married yet).

Best wishes,

MF4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex dunning
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Not only do we have plenty of copies of Age of Conan in stock we also happen to playing that game tonight at our open board game night. It is also a pretty easy trip on the CTA Red Line or the Bryn Mawr exit off Lake Shore Drive. We are really only about 20 minutes from the Watertower on public transit. We also have a pretty friendly community and new players are always welcome.

Chicagoland Games
1207 W Bryn Mawr Ave
Chicago, IL 60660
773 728 3656
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add another very positive recommendation for Cat & Mouse. Great store and great owners.

For things to do in Chicago, consider an architectural boat tour. It's a great and different way to see Chicago. It's also pretty cheap. Many of the boat companies have tours...

Here is a popular one:

http://www.wendellaboats.com/chicago.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, thank you all for the information.

I'm sure my better half will have ablast in Chicago!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hey Muz Fish,

A GREAT game store is GAMES PLUS located in the northwest suburb of Mt. Prospect. Huge selection of all kinds of stuff. Although it is not close to downtown, it is not far from O'Hare airport. Go to their website for more information.

GOOD GAMING!

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi team,

Thanks for all your good advice.

Alas, my better half has has Dilbert style leadership demonstrated by her senior management.

Apparently, some-one who really has nothing to do with the price of eggs heard about the Chicago trip and decided that she had better attend.

She then asked my betetr half for briefing packs and suchlike.

Again, thanks for all you help and best wishes to all Chicago gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave vicks
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OT:Anyone remember Lyles Hobby store in WESTMONT?
Brick and Mortor store.Or THE COMPLETE STRATIGIST on Rt.83

& North AVE.

I bought a SL scenario pack there in the early 80's.

One Scenario was a commando raid on a Radar station.

Sorry for being; Some What Off Topic=SWOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls