Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am tentively planning a trip to Frankfurt in the next month because my friend will be working out there and would be willing to share his hotel room with me. Since I will be site seeing and wanting to soak as much of the culture, I was hoping that any gamers could help me out.

1. Are there any gaming groups or opportunities to play games that would be available even though I don't speak German.

2. Are there any game shops or resale shops that you would recommend checking for good games sales?

The trip is still up in the air and depends on whether I can get a good priced plane ticket. It never hurts to plan ahead. Even if I cannot, maybe my friend can find some stuff for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
BOOM
badge
BOOM
Hi Rick!

There's a guild of gamers from in or around Frankfurt right here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/414

We meet every first and third thursday a month in a cafe, you're very welcome to join us there.

For shops, it doesn't look as good. All games-only shops that I knew in Frankfurt have closed or moved away, it's like a curse or something. Your best bet is to visit some big general stores like Kaufhof, they usually have a quite big games departments where you can find games like Carcasonne, Settlers or games from Kosmos, Schmidt, Ravensburger or Queen Games.
Or you can go to Mainz or Wiesbaden (both about half an hour by train), there is a games-only store called Merlin in both cities.

I hope this helps to get you started,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Hi Rick,
quite a few gamers from Frankfurt are active here on BoardGameGeek. Check out our local guild here.
We meet regulary on the first and third thursday each month in a boargame Café and we certainly could arrange a game or two when you are here.

If you have any other questions or if I can help you with planing your trip to Frankfurt, feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers,

Sven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
See, I told you there a quite a few Frankfurters here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Müller
Germany
Wörrstadt
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
there is a games-only store called Merlin in both cities
Avoid Merlins, it's not what it used to be. In Mainz your best bet is Wirth Der Kinderladen if you're looking for board games.

There's also a shop that has gaming evenings every Thursday and Friday, but I guess, you'll be busy playing in Frankfurt. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Wirth is nice if you are looking for toy cars or barbies.
Go to
Orcish Outpost
Zanggasse 7
55116 Mainz

Small shop, but filled up under the roof with good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmb
stormcloak wrote:

Avoid Merlins, it's not what it used to be.
I don't know how Merlins used to be, but when I recently went to the shop I was surprised to find a large selection of Board & Card Games, as well as some Miniature Games like Wings of War & Arcane Legions.

Orcish Outpost is more of a "Gamer's Place" - you will find imports & RPG-stuff. Most importantly, you will probably walk into some gaming enthusiasts. So If you haven't made up your mind what exact game you want or if it is any good - just ask around (or watch the sessions).

If you are specifically looking for Table Top stuff & equipment also pay a visit to

fantasyladen.de Mainz
Weissliliengasse 10
55116 Mainz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls