flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Continental US Math Trade starting March 23rd
JeffyJeff wrote:
aksosa wrote:
Is it March 23rd yet?
I was actually thinking we had time for a quicky before then
I could start this one early.

I picked the 23rd to have time for the quality math trade to settle before starting another one. With that Math Trade having so few trades the thought of making this one earlier did occur to me. I also have a local NC math trade closing next week, but that one is turing out to be really small.

What are people's thoughts on starting this one this weekend and closing for items next saturday the 21st, then 3 days for want lists?

I like to have the large math trades close for listing on Sat night, that gives people one weekend day for last minute listings and 1 full weekend day(plus 2 weekdays) to do want lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming communityMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: Box Fart
Boomer wrote:
What are people's thoughts on starting this one this weekend and closing for items next saturday the 21st, then 3 days for want lists?
With regards to your timing: this next week (the 15th to the 22nd) is Spring Break in a lot of places. I know a lot of folks around here will be out of town or just plain busy with their kids. Don't know if that matters for math trade populations or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Boomer wrote:
With regards to your timing: this next week (the 15th to the 22nd) is Spring Break in a lot of places. I know a lot of folks around here will be out of town or just plain busy with their kids. Don't know if that matters for math trade populations or not?
In my experience, the only downside to opening the list early would be a) people getting grumpy waiting for the list to close so they can find out what they won, and b) getting such a large pool of items that it's a pain putting the Want Lists together. In my view, b) is the sort of problem you want to have, and a) is best handled by ignoring them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer wrote:
I think the current timing is perfect. Starting it earlier would conflict with the ending of the local GameStorm math trade which covers most of the NW region (currently almost 600 items with 1 week left for posting).

Please do not change the current schedule. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Boomer wrote:
I think the current timing is perfect. Starting it earlier would conflict with the ending of the local GameStorm math trade which covers most of the NW region (currently almost 600 items with 1 week left for posting).

Please do not change the current schedule. Thank you.
I hadn't realized that the Gamestorm trade was that large. It would be silly to have another large math trade at the same time. I'll be keeping the original dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
aksosa wrote:
Is it March 23rd yet?
I was actually thinking we had time for a quicky before then
If anyone is interested, I can put together a short 2 day math trade to tide us over until Boomer's math trade. It could start as early as tonight/tomorrow morning and run until Monday/Tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aksosa wrote:

If anyone is interested, I can put together a short 2 day math trade to tide us over until Boomer's math trade. It could start as early as tonight/tomorrow morning and run until Monday/Tuesday.
Build it and they will come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in...though I don't know why it is lower 48. Shipping from Maine to Alaska is no more expensive than shipping from Maine to California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lou-Dawg wrote:
I'm in...though I don't know why it is lower 48. Shipping from Maine to Alaska is no more expensive than shipping from Maine to California.
Not if people are using UPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grantham
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then is there going to be a requirement that people not list PO Boxes as their address?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lou-Dawg wrote:
only if it's flat rate...

edit: it's not usually a problem to restrict to lower 48... even less AK's and HI's in MT's than there are Canadians... in fact I've yet to see anyone from AK or HI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grantham wrote:
Then is there going to be a requirement that people not list PO Boxes as their address?
That is a good question and off the top of my head I'm not sure the best way to handle this.

I see a few options

1) Require no PO Boxes

2) Make traders that don't want to ship to a PO Box state 'Non-PO Box address required" in their item

3) Require people to provide a street address if requested by the sender

I'm sure other people will think of other possibilities.

Personally I'd prefer options 2 or 3

I don't think this has ever been a problem in any of my previous math trades, at least it wasn't brought to my attention.

I'd like to hear from others before making a decision on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grantham wrote:
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, what's wrong with a PO box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
grantham wrote:
I know at least one thing... FedEx (and probably others) won't ship to USPS Post Office Boxes

edit: ps: out of curiosity, how does USPS handle boxes being delivered to PO boxes anyway? Ie. they won't fit in most PO boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
eightbit wrote:
grantham wrote:
I know at least one thing... FedEx (and probably others) won't ship to USPS Post Office Boxes

edit: ps: out of curiosity, how does USPS handle boxes being delivered to PO boxes anyway? Ie. they won't fit in most PO boxes
My mom's PO has several large boxes for this sort of thing. You get the key to the one containing your package in your small PO box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
ps: out of curiosity, how does USPS handle boxes being delivered to PO boxes anyway? Ie. they won't fit in most PO boxes
My mom's PO has several large boxes for this sort of thing. You get the key to the one containing your package in your small PO box.
And they will keep that precious real estate occupied indefinitely (as long as you are paying for a PO Box)? I could see someone receivign a dozen packages uses up a lot of those big boxes.

Also out of curiosity why do folks want to use a PO Box for to receive games from? College students maybe who don't have a real address?

Just thought of another reason, and I think why some businesses won't ship to PO Boxes... it's harder to track someone if in our case they become a bad trader. Traditionally it's been useful because we know at least where the games the bad trader received were shipped to. I'm sure it's not a problem with established traders but it would be a red flag for me it it was a new trader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Johnston
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At my PO, you receive a slip in your box that says you have a package. The packages themselves are kept on shelves in the back; you present your slip at the window and the clerk retrieves the package for you.

As to why you would have a PO Box, another reason is security. I've had packages (from different carriers: USPS, FedEx, UPS)) stolen from my porch. Fortunately, the thieves left the opened packages around the corner, apparently not realizing how valuable the contents were.

I'm not sure if UPS/FedEx have a choice in not shipping to PO Boxes; it may simply be that the USPS won't allow them to. You can get a box through the UPS Store where you can receive UPS/FedEx packages (in addition to all your USPS mail).

JeffyJeff wrote:

And they will keep that precious real estate occupied indefinitely (as long as you are paying for a PO Box)? I could see someone receivign a dozen packages uses up a lot of those big boxes.

Also out of curiosity why do folks want to use a PO Box for to receive games from? College students maybe who don't have a real address?

Just thought of another reason, and I think why some businesses won't ship to PO Boxes... it's harder to track someone if in our case they become a bad trader. Traditionally it's been useful because we know at least where the games the bad trader received were shipped to. I'm sure it's not a problem with established traders but it would be a red flag for me it it was a new trader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wjohnston wrote:

I'm not sure if UPS/FedEx have a choice in not shipping to PO Boxes; it may simply be that the USPS won't allow them to.
That is correct. The USPS will not except deliveries for people. PO Boxes are the propery of the USPS and by law may only be used for US Mail and offical USPS notices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer wrote:
wjohnston wrote:

I'm not sure if UPS/FedEx have a choice in not shipping to PO Boxes; it may simply be that the USPS won't allow them to.
That is correct. The USPS will not except deliveries for people. PO Boxes are the propery of the USPS and by law may only be used for US Mail and offical USPS notices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:
It sounds sexy, but I'm pretty intimidated by the process at this point.
No need to... start with http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades

always good to have fresh blood
Very nice! Maybe I'll jump in on the next one. I was getting Math Trades confused with Ultimate trades, I think. Math trades seem pretty straight forward after reading the wiki. I have a couple of titles I wouldn't mind getting rid of, so I'm looking forward to tossing my hat in the ring.
I'm new to this type of trade as well. I read the wiki page linked to above, but I'm slightly confused.

The geeklist that is out there now are games people WANT. The wiki page said there will be a list of games people HAVE. I guess that comes later?

Also, do you only post games to the HAVE list that people WANT, or can you post anything you want to trade away?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
o0dano0o wrote:
The geeklist that is out there now are games people WANT. The wiki page said there will be a list of games people HAVE. I guess that comes later?
later (around the time the MT actually starts)

o0dano0o wrote:
Also, do you only post games to the HAVE list that people WANT, or can you post anything you want to trade away?
anything you have for trade. don't forget that you can bundle stuff together if you think it's worth it, see info about "sweeteners"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
o0dano0o wrote:
I'm new to this type of trade as well. I read the wiki page linked to above, but I'm slightly confused.

Thanks!
The list that's up right now is called a request list. It has no official bearing on the actual math trade. A request list is simply a place for people to beg others to put a certain game into the real math trade.

On the real math trade geeklist, you will only list the games that you want to trade away.

Confusing things further is the term "want list" which isn't a geeklist at all. After the real MT geeklist is complete, everyone will submit a want list for each of the game they are trading away (one want list per entry in the MT geeklist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thanks for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be opening up the actual trade list on sunday. I don't want this to conflict with the gamestorm math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I went and added some "I want this too" comments and some of my own entries to the list. Guess we'll see what happens next...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |