David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Continental US Math Trade starting March 23rd
Boomer wrote:
I'll be opening up the actual trade list on sunday. I don't want this to conflict with the GameStorm math trade.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
ortho_ Jan 14, 07:15 PM: hahahaha i think rathstar should be granted some kind of neutral mischief-maker role in any WW game he wants to play :D
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Rathcon attendeeMicrobadge: Braid fanMicrobadge: Card Games fanMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
is anyone going to have anything left to trade after this being the 3rd trade in a month? My MT announcements subscription was broken so I missed the last couple, but looking at the results and the number of trades, I'd be surprised if there were many tradeable items left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
is anyone going to have anything left to trade after this being the 3rd trade in a month? My MT announcements subscription was broken so I missed the last couple, but looking at the results and the number of trades, I'd be surprised if there were many tradeable items left...
There is always tradeable stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
ortho_ Jan 14, 07:15 PM: hahahaha i think rathstar should be granted some kind of neutral mischief-maker role in any WW game he wants to play :D
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Rathcon attendeeMicrobadge: Braid fanMicrobadge: Card Games fanMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
Boomer wrote:
Yeah but I meant besides all the stuff that everyone got at 75% off or $1 from B&N or that copy of monopoly they found under the couch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
Yeah but I meant besides all the stuff that everyone got at 75% off or $1 from B&N or that copy of monopoly they found under the couch.
some of us only got 50% on that B&N stuff this year

don't forget there are the duplicates folks are receiving because they didn't use or messed up duplicate protection

but in addition to those... the majority of the items in each math trade go untraded. In addition we should have a lot more folks participating in this one than the short/sweet MT, or the Gamestorm MT, or the Where's the Quality MT, or the Where's the Love MT... the last big MT was the Inauguration Day one so it's been a "while"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
Boomer wrote:
I saw some people planning to post some sweet games....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BRING IT!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
My collection is getting large (by my closet's standards) so I'd like try this math trade thing out. I've read the wiki, for this particular trade do I just need to wait until the math trade list opens, then add a game I'm willing to trade? Can I add more than one game to the trade list?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems it is not really possible to get a trade I'm unhappy with, since after possible trades are placed, participants send the moderator a list of games they are willing to accept for the game they are trading away.

Any extra advice would be welcomed for someone new to all this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
I just need to wait until the math trade list opens, then add a game I'm willing to trade? Can I add more than one game to the trade list?
yes and yes, especially to the latter... otherwise there wouldn't be many items being offered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Is there an etiquette to how many games to offer? Is it best to list only the few I most want to trade away, or many to increase my chances of making a trade? Also, being new I'm unsure what games are truly desired; should I only offer games found on the request geeklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
Is there an etiquette to how many games to offer? Is it best to list only the few I most want to trade away, or many to increase my chances of making a trade? Also, being new I'm unsure what games are truly desired; should I only offer games found on the request geeklist?
given you have a zero trade rating would not make sense to offer a lot of it will raise red flags... also offer anything you want (that's allowed per the rules), the request list is only for those that want to use it... I don't even look at it myself. But best not to offer stuff alone that is worth less than the cost of shipping it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
I agree with Jeff's comments.

It's probably best to start out with a few items, maybe 6 or less so that you get a feel for the way things work.

Math Trades are fairly frequent, you'll have plenty of future opportunities.

As for what to offer, by all means check out people's want lists, check the request list, look at what has traded in previous math trades.

One big rule, don't put anything on your want list that you will not be happy receiving.

And as Jeff said, watch the cost of shipping, ideally you want high game value in relation to shipping costs to make things worthwhile.

And lastly, ask questions, there are lots of very experienced traders that will help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Is there any easy way to see what games are frequently traded? Would someone be willing to take a look at my "For Trade" list and comment on it?

Are so-called sweeteners worth it? Successful? The only way to get rid of a small game?

Is it common/practical/approved to only list in your "want list" items that belong to users close to you to keep shipping costs low? For that matter, is it fair to assume that user locations listed are accurate?

I'll post more questions if I think of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Is there a distinct preference for shrinkwrapped/unpunched games or do most not care?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
Is there any easy way to see what games are frequently traded? Would someone be willing to take a look at my "For Trade" list and comment on it?

Are so-called sweeteners worth it? Successful? The only way to get rid of a small game?

Is it common/practical/approved to only list in your "want list" items that belong to users close to you to keep shipping costs low? For that matter, is it fair to assume that user locations listed are accurate?

I'll post more questions if I think of them.
I think you've got a number of worthwhile items on your For Trade list. Sweeteners are definitely useful as a way of boosting the overall tradeability of a mid-value game. They're also a good way of disposing of small games, as you say. As for Want lists, people who don't want to pay a lot for shipping will place restrictions on their items, so you really don't need to restrict your Wants solely for the benefit of the people who would be sending you stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
Is there a distinct preference for shrinkwrapped/unpunched games or do most not care?
There is definitely a preference for pristine, but in my experience it isn't really an obstacle to trading. Just document the game condition in the item description and all will go smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
You have a bunch of quality games that should get good interest, of course it will depend on what you out on your want lists.

A&A guadalcanal
blue moon
dvonn
ttr Marklin

I think those 5 would all make it to a lot of want lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
If I really want a game, it doesn't matter. If I only marginally want a game, it might make a difference. But post'em! You never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
My collection is getting large (by my closet's standards) so I'd like try this math trade thing out.
Math Trade won't help in this regard since you'll be replacing one game for another...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
kendahlj wrote:
danweasel wrote:
My collection is getting large (by my closet's standards) so I'd like try this math trade thing out.
Math Trade won't help in this regard since you'll be replacing one game for another...
At least it won't get larger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
danweasel wrote:
He could trade games for Geekgold.

(Howdy Kendahl!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
kendahlj wrote:
danweasel wrote:
He could trade games for Geekgold.

(Howdy Kendahl!)
It's also possible to condense one's collection by trading large mid-rated games for higer-rated small games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grantham
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point from a few days ago, I guess, was that if you let people list PO Boxes, there's no need to restrict it to the Continental US -- it's the same to a PO Box vs. Alaska, Hawaii, APO, FPO. I'm fine either way (generally I prefer more inclusion), but I was just trying to figure out the rationale here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
In addition we should have a lot more folks participating in this one than the short/sweet MT, or the Gamestorm MT, or the Where's the Quality MT, or the Where's the Love MT... the last big MT was the Inauguration Day one so it's been a "while"
The GameStorm Math Trade was a no-shipping, "local" (okay, regional/convention-based) trade, but it was the largest such no-shipping trade (with 911 items).

But yes, this will definitely be larger than that (national trades with normal or extended submission periods always are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grantham wrote:
My point from a few days ago, I guess, was that if you let people list PO Boxes, there's no need to restrict it to the Continental US -- it's the same to a PO Box vs. Alaska, Hawaii, APO, FPO. I'm fine either way (generally I prefer more inclusion), but I was just trying to figure out the rationale here.
??? USPS charges more to ship to a USPS box in AK and HI than to real addresses in those States? Or less? Priority flat rate boxes are the same to all 50 States, including to PO boxes I think, but I and others have lots of games that won't fit in a flat rate box...

In any case, I've yet to see anyone from AK or HI in any math trade (please correct me if I'm wrong)... but since this one requires sender to pay full shipping, I don't want to take the risk that one will appear and I'll have to unexpectedly pay significantly more shipping than I factored into composing my want lists for those items.

Also for some of us FedEx is actually cheaper than USPS the heavier (or won't fit in flat rate) and/or longer the distance we ship (and being in one corner of the con 48 I usually ship father)... and FedEx can't ship to USPS PO Boxes...

Think I'm going to have to remember that I won't ship to PO boxes in my item descriptions, sorry to those few who don't have any other usable address (like a work address etc)... at least for my bigger or heavier games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |