365 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [15] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Continental US Math Trade: official results - 311 items trading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Re: Continental US Math Trade: now open for submissions
JeffyJeff,

How do you handle situations like this: multiple listings of Shadows Over Camelot, where 2-3 people are offering SoC + an expansion, while 4-5 people are offering just SoC alone? If you use duplicate protection, all of them are bunched into the same listing, but they're not likely to trade at the same level.

It would be nice (WARNING: Future Someday Request detected!) to be able to identify which duplicates could be bundled into the duplicate protection listing, and which should not be. In this case, I could indicate some games for trade against a single copy, and others for the game+expansion copy.

For the moment, would that require a manual edit of the want list instead? (A new area for me!)

Thank you,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
Microbadge: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.” — Anaïs NinMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: I support ArsenalMicrobadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: Peace and Tolerance
franklincobb wrote:
Definitely some dodgy descriptions in this trade. I'm not sure how to take something like "Obviously Played" as that could mean...so much.
It gets better Ken - someone (a MT newbie perhaps) just entered a bunch of items with the description "Condition: used".

I've commented one of their items (the first one I think) asking them to not be so vague - hopefully they'll see the comment.

I know that none of their items will be going on my want lists if they don't update them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
jhebert wrote:
It would be nice (WARNING: Future Someday Request detected!) to be able to identify which duplicates could be bundled into the duplicate protection listing, and which should not be. In this case, I could indicate some games for trade against a single copy, and others for the game+expansion copy.

For the moment, would that require a manual edit of the want list instead? (A new area for me!)
actually you don't need to manually edit.. but create the dummy item the "easy" way but make sure to UNCHECK the box "Check here to auto add corresponding game items to the pseudo items"... then you can in table/edit tab after and go down the column for that dummy item and add the ones you want.

The problem however is that you will only get partial dup protetion... you could still end up with one from the dup protected set and one of the other ones (or more than one if you aren't grouping those into another dummy item)

sweeteners definitely complicate matters when folks are trying to use dup protection... the sweeteners are both a blessing and a curse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
anglotiger wrote:
It gets better Ken - someone (a MT newbie perhaps) just entered a bunch of items with the description "Condition: used".
I'm also seeing another mt veteran add stuff using the "as pictured"... but using it inconsistently... one one he didn't say as pictured and the description doesn't say which edition but the picture is of the German edition.

folks, when it comes to math trades, a picture is NOT worth a thousand words when it comes to indicating edition and/or language..... a few simple words do much better w/out the problem os incorrect images... even if the image is correct, who can be sure?

it's why I recommend MT rules that say that if language isn't explictly specified that it's assumed it's an English language editiion, and if edition isn't then it's an English USA publisher.

edit: with all these shoddy listings in this mt combined with newbie math traders, and on top of that some manually composed want lists, I sure hope we don't end up with problems (some of which may not show up until someone receives a non-English edition of a game that wasn't explicitly listed as such)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PC BuilderMicrobadge: Beth Heile fanMicrobadge: Kneel Before Zod!Microbadge: Civilization V fanMicrobadge: I love Chicago
JeffyJeff wrote:

it's why I recommend MT rules that say that if language isn't explictly specified that it's assumed it's an English language editiion, and if edition isn't then it's an English USA publisher.

As far as edition goes, it might help to have MT rules say that if edition isn't specified, it's the edition pictured in the listing (usually the image used for the main BGG listing of the game). It doesn't help to refer to the picture to describe everything, but I know that as far as edition goes, I generally assume that when not specified, the edition being offered is the same as the one in the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: BrettSpielWelt player
As far as editions go, I don't think having a rule that says "english language edition unless stated otherwise" would eliminate all problems. Since not everyone reads all the rules. That said I will be putting such a rule in all my future math trades.

As far as terse descriptions, my suggestion is assume the worst about the item and value it accordingly. Which might mean you don't put it on a want list. That penalizes the person trading the item, since less demand usually means they get less value for it. Which seems fair since they did a poor job of describing it.

As a general rule, the better job you do in describing your item(as long as it's truthful of course) the better your odds of trading it are.

I just did a resync of the OLWLG at 1311 items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
EmilyMoby wrote:
As far as edition goes, it might help to have MT rules say that if edition isn't specified, it's the edition pictured in the listing (usually the image used for the main BGG listing of the game). It doesn't help to refer to the picture to describe everything, but I know that as far as edition goes, I generally assume that when not specified, the edition being offered is the same as the one in the picture.
a VERY bad idea... the image is usually the default, not one explicitly choosen by the lister... and sometimes the default is the English one, sometimes the German one, sometimes something else. Again, a few words in the listing are worth more than a picture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Boomer wrote:
As far as editions go, I don't think having a rule that says "english language edition unless stated otherwise" would eliminate all problems. Since not everyone reads all the rules. That said I will be putting such a rule in all my future math trades.
You'll have to trust me that it does... especially using words like "must" in conjunction... I've had far fewer non-compliance issues that way.

I think some folks are being "stealth" on purpose with the language/edition, maybe choosing the correct image (which can't be assumed anyway due to defaulting) but leaving out that it's German language in a game where it's not language independent... that way if the receiver complains they can say "look at the image"... a bad idea.

If folks aren't doing it deliberately but are just being lazy then that is no excuse either I'd rather not have their items in the MT than the potential problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted McManus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Zork fanMicrobadge: Kurt Vonnegut fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Spider-Man fan
Another question re: game images...

Now that a game's representative image is (relatively) volatile and can be changed through GeekMod, would such a change also alter the image in the MT listing IF the user had accepted the default image?

Or are those images static?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Belgian Beer loverMicrobadge: Gen Con attendeeMicrobadge: The Dresden Files fan
Alright... on to something new. Someone just put an item of cash into the MT. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40907/item/903257#item...

As far as I know, cash has never been allowed.

Jeff, you may want to make the call on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
homiefud wrote:
Alright... on to something new. Some just put an item of cash into the MT. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40907/item/903257#item... As far as I know, cash has never been allowed. Jeff (Boomer), you may want to make the call on this.
yea, it's been only tried once and the MT actually never completed... of course the problem with that one was that the person offering the cash had to pay the commision... but as your item comment... if it is allowed it should go trough the marketplace with the person who put the cash on their want list... though a little complicated as for the amount as they should be able to deduct the amount run through the marketplace by the amount of shipping they paid to ship their real item. And of course no marketplace if someone with geek gold gets the cash.

One big problem though... the person with the item above put in TINY print that it was via paypal... (again why the need for the slight of hand?) and I'm guessing possibly via credit card and not a funded source (paypal balance or bank account transfer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
Microbadge: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.” — Anaïs NinMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: I support ArsenalMicrobadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: Peace and Tolerance
I'm a little leery about opening that door, but it's not my event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Microbadge: Odin's Ravens fanMicrobadge: Ardbeg: Peat is all you need!Microbadge: VikingMicrobadge: ÁsatrúMicrobadge: Fjords fan
True Story: I once got a copy of El Grande: Deciennial which was in german, when the listing didn't indicate the language.

He was in the USA, I was in the USA, and when I brought up my disappointment he lashed out at me and said,

"YOU NEVER ASKED!"

CAVEAT EMPTOR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade Moderator
For the purposes of this math trade, is it considered arbitrage when the value of the two items are the same? For example, is it okay to list a $25 gift card for store 'A', and put a $25 gift card from store 'B' on my want list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
aksosa wrote:
For the purposes of this math trade, is it considered arbitrage when the value of the two items are the same? For example, is it okay to list a $25 gift card for store 'A', and put a $25 gift card from store 'B' on my want list?
You have some Circuit City gift cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: BrettSpielWelt player
aksosa wrote:
I would consider that arbitrage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Microbadge: Odin's Ravens fanMicrobadge: Ardbeg: Peat is all you need!Microbadge: VikingMicrobadge: ÁsatrúMicrobadge: Fjords fan
JeffyJeff wrote:
aksosa wrote:
Apart from GC for empty brick & mortar entities like Circuit City or Electric Avenue & More, I cannot see a reason why equal value GC would be prohibited from being exchanged.

thumbsup GOOD = 546 FOR 546

thumbsdown BAD = 546 FOR 5555555555

Well, that's not completely true. If they were submitted and wanted by the very same person then we'd have a different controversy, but I digress. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
diehard4life wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
aksosa wrote:
Apart from GC for empty brick & mortar entities like Circuit City or Electric Avenue & More, I cannot see a reason why equal value GC would be prohibited from being exchanged.

thumbsup GOOD = 546 FOR 546

thumbsdown BAD = 546 FOR 5555555555

Well, that's not completely true. If they were submitted and wanted by the very same person then we'd have a different controversy, but I digress. gulp

I agree that if the amount wanted is equal or less than the amount offered that it does make a difference.

However, 2 reason I wouldn't allow it. 1) I like simple rules, and no GC for GC makes for a simple rule. 2) a GC for GC trade could reduce the number of games trading.

So for now, I wouldn't allow it. That said for future math trades I'm open to hearing pro and con arguments about it.

BTW:

I just resynced the OLWLG at 1456 items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
I'm having trouble getting the OLWLG to load on my PC. Used it in several MTs before, but for some reason my system is freezing up. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on and/or suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade Moderator
Boomer wrote:
aksosa wrote:
I would consider that arbitrage.
No problem. I just wanted to make sure - one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
ortho_ Jan 14, 07:15 PM: hahahaha i think rathstar should be granted some kind of neutral mischief-maker role in any WW game he wants to play :D
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Rathcon attendeeMicrobadge: Braid fanMicrobadge: Card Games fanMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
enzo622 wrote:
I'm having trouble getting the OLWLG to load on my PC. Used it in several MTs before, but for some reason my system is freezing up. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on and/or suggestions?
I had similar problems with the last MT I participated in and I solved the problems by updating my router (WRT54G) to the latest firmware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
rathstar wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
I had similar problems with the last MT I participated in and I solved the problems by updating my router (WRT54G) to the latest firmware.
Hmm. Well, Comcast installed a new cable modem recently. Could that be the problem? It'll load and then just freeze. Everything else on the 'net is working fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
rathstar wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
yea... I was looking for that sub thread in the OLWLG... googling your name and the router I found it was in the tis the season MT... see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2965000#2965000

Kurt, is a router built in to your cable modem? Either way, what model cable modem do you have and if not integrated router what model router?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Microbadge: I accepted the Net Zero ChallengeMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Coffee drinker
enzo622 wrote:
rathstar wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
Hmm. Well, Comcast installed a new cable modem recently. Could that be the problem? It'll load and then just freeze. Everything else on the 'net is working fine.
I was having slowage/freezing problems in large math trades when I was using IE for the OLWLG. I use Firefox now and it's much better. Maybe it's your browser?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
joewyka wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
rathstar wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
I was having slowage/freezing problems in large math trades when I was using IE for the OLWLG. I use Firefox now and it's much better. Maybe it's your browser?
Just got home from the gym and tried this. YEP! Working fine with Firefox. Thanks, Joe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [15] |