• [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
True wrote:
Geeks Rule

Yeah. These sound like proper geeks as well: intelligent, knowledgeable, welcoming and aware of how the gaming business works. Not the unclean, grunting variety I have often found in game stores in the UK...(with some exceptions of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from MyAtomic last week for the first time. Good service, good people. The prices aren't great, but they have a free shipping threshold of $25, which is great, particularly for single-game orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, BJ,

You are more than welcome. Fort Wayne has a great gaming community and I always try to share my enthusiam for the hobby.

My next step is to start going door-to-door with game pamphlets and asking, "Got dice?" Just kidding...your dice are safe...maybe. meeple

DasViktor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What really happened is that the OP fell asleep and dreamt all of this and has mistakenly replaced reality with happy fun dreamland.

It's good to hear that everyone was on their A game for you! They all sound like fine folk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, www.superherogameland.com is actually in Fort Wayne also. You could probably order online and arrange for a pickup. They operate out of the Books, Comics, & Things brick & mortar store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the things you write about in this post used to be categorized under one heading: common courtesy. Now the world is full of jackasses, and people treating each other nicely is a noteworthy exception rather than the norm.

Hey look! It even says right below where I'm typing that I should be practicing common courtesy right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:
Most of the things you write about in this post used to be categorized under one heading: common courtesy. Now the world is full of jackasses, and people treating each other nicely is a noteworthy exception rather than the norm.

Hey look! It even says right below where I'm typing that I should be practicing common courtesy right now.

It's true what he says. I'm glad that the OP had a great experience, but it saddens me that this story is "amazing."

We have become so used to being treated poorly that we also have become self-protective and as a consequence treat others poorly. (Usually out of fear of the other taking advantage of us) It's a cycle that has to stop.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
It's true what he says. I'm glad that the OP had a great experience, but it saddens me that this story is "amazing."

I think it's a nice story, but based on my experience with BGG users, it's the exact experience to be expected. The community here tends to be nice and helpful (and often incredibly generous). So to me, it's not really amazing, but I love to read such stories of human kindness and helpfulness.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
HauRuck wrote:
I received a question through geekmail from a random BGG member about a rarer game I owned. I spent about an hour to relearn it just so I could explain the answer correctly. I typed a long response including summarizing about a page of rules.

Not even a thank you came back my way. This was a month ago.

I continue to be amazed...

YMMV

Don't let it disappoint you. As this topic shows there are plenty of great people around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
ctalbot wrote:
One_Wolf wrote:

I think it's a nice story, but based on my experience with BGG users, it's the exact experience to be expected. The community here tends to be nice and helpful (and often incredibly generous). So to me, it's not really amazing, but I love to read such stories of human kindness and helpfulness.

Chris

That's the point I was trying to get across telling the story Chris. (Well, that and hoping to get Viktor some GG tips since he's poor.) I had great experience at the convention I went to a few weeks ago. I had a great customer service experience from a company in Sweden when I was looking for a game that has been out of print for 10 years. I was welcomed into a complete stranger's house for a game of Here I Stand and had a great time with everyone there. I've bought from a couple of FLGS's and online game stores and even when I'm being a nuisance, I haven't been treated like one. This was just the latest in a long line of very good experiences with my fellow geeks.

Hey. I'm not poor--I've got games. They're probably worth more than my 401K plan now.

Imagine a destitute-looking DasViktor standing out on the corner by the game store. He's tall, crazy gray hair, in a threadbare overcoat. In his hand are 2d6 with the pips worn off as they are his only set of dice. As you pass by he mumbles, "Hey, buddy, could you spare some GeekGold for a geek down on his luck. I'm jonesing for a Microbadge." Sad, sad, sad.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls