California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
A nice bonus would be to find out what the AoS map makers are going to be facing once the Mayfair legal division ramps up.

Well, if we judge by the prior success of the Mayfair legal division....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
A nice bonus would be to find out what the AoS map makers are going to be facing once the Mayfair legal division ramps up.

Well, if we judge by the prior success of the Mayfair legal division....

True, but you still have to show up or the US court system gets all snarky. Based on their previous filings, I'd assume they'd start out denying you or they existed or that Steam was a game, and then sort of work their way out from there.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex any update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam Production Diary 05

As I’m typing this, the only existing copy of Steam is sitting next to me, holding up a cookie. (I’m at the coffee shop, it’s a small table, and my games are WORKING games, whether in play or not.) It’s a hand-wrapped copy, prepared for the GAMA Trade Show last week and now in my possession to start working on supplemental materials (demo script, etc.). I know there are a few weeks before it’s generally available, but having a tangible object in my hand makes the last two years’ worth of work Very Real. It looks good, which is good as it’s in production this week (and the opportunity for more excitement is still also Very Real).

There’s one other thing that I need to mention. This has been a project with an awful lot of twists and turns, and we decided that we wanted a little artifact to have a bit of a laugh about this (once we're ready for that sort of thing again). Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Martin Wallace’s Totally Renamed Train Game!

[The cover image would normally have been here, but it was bounced for being, and I quote here, “90% corrupt, 10% irrelevant.” Either I still have problems creating an image file that will work on BGG, or there’s an admin who’s not in our target demographic.]

EDIT:

(Thanks, Bruce!)

This will be a 350-piece run, with a different box wrap but the same components as Steam (unless we decide to get a very little bit fancy after the fact – no promises). This will be a special package for those of you that want to be able to recount the Saga of Steam years from now. Revel in the action caricature of Martin on the cover! See the word “Steamthusiasm” actually printed on a box! Marvel at the “One of 350” (they’re all “One of 350”) printed on the—well, perhaps we’ll let a few things be a surprise.

It’s more ($70), and will be available only a few ways. We will have a small supply for sale at our booth at Origins and Gen Con (and Essen, we’re pretty sure). All Mayfair Authorized Retailers also have an offer available to them: order a demo copy of Steam (an at-cost copy of the game, along with a demo script written by...well, modesty prevents me), and they can order ONE copy of MWTRTG. (Enterprising folks might find a store that might not normally do this, and offer to purchase their copy of MWTRTG if they order a demo copy of Steam…)

We had a chance to ooh and aah over the real Steam at our Ann Arbor Gaming Group yesterday, and Friday is our Toledo Gaming Group’s turn, to see their club names (or actual names) in print, and to play their first game with the live components. I’ll be in Germany the week after next, and that will probably be the last post in this thread (though I’ll be watching the general forums closely). Thanks again!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before anyone gets too worried/excited, we hope we've walked the line with this one at more "genial good-natured self-deprecation" than, well, y'know, the OTHER thing. We've pulled a few comments from the Production Diary thread, and have embraced a few things that others would condemn us with. Sure, between the price and the admitted garishness of the wrap, it's not for everyone, but we're confident that for a couple hundred people out there, this will be Very Funny...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me there's a bunny on the cover.
That would be groin-grabbingly funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Spleen, Bunnies to Britches?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:

[The cover image would normally have been here, but it was bounced for being, and I quote here, “90% corrupt, 10% irrelevant.” Either I still have problems creating an image file that will work on BGG, or there’s an admin who’s not in our target demographic.]

I can't be the first person to tell you that putting images in your own personal gallery works without moderation and you could have easily used that for this thread, right?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The existence of personal galleries was news to me, so yes, you were, Bruce. Cover's up in the message!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the Golden Bunny Seal of Approval on the back cover affect your groin as well, Costas?...

(That's it for the back cover reveal, BTW, so don't ask. And yes, they're ALL "One of 350"!)

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused at to how we get this? Where do we get in line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
The existence of personal galleries was news to me, so yes, you were, Bruce. Cover's up in the message!

I can't be the first person to tell you that you can put the word "medium" (or "large" or "original") between the image number and the closing bracket to get a bigger picture, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:

Actually, the problem is that your images are rendered in a color space other than the normal RGB. So in some browsers, (Chrome, IE) the image appears to be missing or corrupt because the browser can't render it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:

Actually, the problem is that your images are rendered in a color space other than the normal RGB. So in some browsers, (Chrome, IE) the image appears to be missing or corrupt because the browser can't render it.

Is there no end to the evil of these people?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Would the Golden Bunny Seal of Approval on the back cover affect your groin as well, Costas?...

LOL!

Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers on the amusing box wrap, I would hope that people take it for what it is, a funny take on an overly dramatic saga.

I, for one, am curious how sales of this are going to work. I don't go to Origins or Gencon, but I could have one picked up for me at Essen...but it seems as though the rush there could be insane and the demand well beyond the 350 total pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, after further consultation, here's the plan as I know it:
- Right now, Mayfair Authorized Retailers are being given the chance to buy one with their Steam demo copy. (I expect many of these to end up in personal collections or eBay, but enterprising folks still might sweet-talk a store or two into a trade (they buy the demo, you buy the game). In any event, they need to do so FAST if they haven't already.
- A small number (50ish) will be made available through the Mayfair website. There should be preorders, but preorders are NOT being taken now. Start watching the site mid- to late-next week, and I'll try and post here as soon as I know (keeping in mind that I may not be the first to know).
- A small-to-smaller number than above will be available at Origins. Ditto Gen Con. Essen remains a bit of a question mark (we should have them, but in what quantity remains to be seen). The thought is to hold back a chunk for prizes, events, and maybe even a couple for the 2010 U.S. show booths, but that's it. 350 and not one game more.

Frankly, we weren't sure if 350 wasn't overly optimistic, but given the way my BGG mailbox has been filling up, it looks like a few of y'all get it. More news the week after next, I'm sure!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hugely pumped about Steam's release. I'd certainly plop down an extra $20 if it meant getting the game early (a week earlier would be great). I've already pre-ordered the "regular box" version though. Think I'll be sticking with that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note, for all of you calling Mayfair to find out if you can order one now, despite EVERYTHING I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE about current info and likely timing: they're not on pre-order now, we haven't finalized the sales information yet (and won't until the production cycle is set such that we KNOW our shipping and release dates), and until that happens, you (and I) have no more information.

That said, it would appear that as soon as this info IS finalized, I will be notified, and with at LEAST a 2-day window before orders start. As soon as I know, I will post that info HERE, on this thread. Those of you set to monitor or notify of new posts will have the info as soon as I put it up.

Thanks!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
A quick note, for all of you calling Mayfair to find out if you can order one now, despite EVERYTHING I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE about current info and likely timing: they're not on pre-order now, we haven't finalized the sales information yet (and won't until the production cycle is set such that we KNOW our shipping and release dates), and until that happens, you (and I) have no more information.

That said, it would appear that as soon as this info IS finalized, I will be notified, and with at LEAST a 2-day window before orders start. As soon as I know, I will post that info HERE, on this thread. Those of you set to monitor or notify of new posts will have the info as soon as I put it up.

Thanks!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

In the meantime can we start an over/under pool on how many people will still

a) post to this thread asking if the version is ready or pre-order

b) how many people will still call Mayfair to ask if it can be ordered

c) how many days it will be before Alex is told never to mention something like this on BGG again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
AlexYeager wrote:

Thanks!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

In the meantime can we start an over/under pool on how many people will still

a) post to this thread asking if the version is ready or pre-order

b) how many people will still call Mayfair to ask if it can be ordered

c) how many days it will be before Alex is told never to mention something like this on BGG again

I'll take "-3 days" for letter c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stanley
United States
Nacogdoches
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anymore news on the limited addition? It's been a while since things were last mentioned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWTRTG preorder: stay tuned. (We've just returned from Germany, so it will take me a day or two to catch up.) If there's news on that, I'll post it here.

This next piece of news will be posted uniquely elsewhere, but here's the short version here: we have discovered some issues with the color of the wood to be used in Steam sets. In order to fix this, we are including a supplemental bag of wood in order to guarantee that the wood pieces are included that we say are included.

So, hear this: the first print run of Steam will include AT LEAST 10 sets of player pieces. Yes, you heard me right (we're not sure if there's an 11th set or not, but 10 is going to happen). You'll also get good cubes in both black and gray.

More soon!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.