Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: New Club! Monash Uni, Clayton rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated: 3 March 2012

Monash Boardgames Society
Recommences on Monday 5th of March!

MBS meets every Monday from 6.00pm until 11.00pm at Monash Clayton. Room ST1, which is in building 25 (See map below).

We love all games - these all make regular appearances:
Power Grid, Dominion, Carcassonne, Magic: The Gathering, Shadows over Camelot, Race for the Galaxy and Nexus Ops. Not to forget Chicago Express, Stephenson's Rocket, Aquädukt, Endeavor Cosmic Encounter and (of course) Catan.

It is free to attend, and everyone is welcome.

Please bring any games you wish to play, we would love to see you. New members, students and staff, casual visitors and curious passers-by are welcome to drop in.

If everyone is playing when you arrive, ask for Zac or Matt.

The room is brightly lit, with comfortable chairs and plenty of tables.
It is quite OK to eat dinner in the room, although don't spill on the games please

indigo We want more current Monash students to join up! indigo
MBS has started buying a library of games, and the more student members, the bigger our budget.
ninja

Keep Up-to-Date:
thumbsup http://www.facebook.com/groups/309439070237/
thumbsup http://groups.google.com/group/the-meeple

Contact MBS:
mbs@monashclubs.org
BoardgameSecretary@gmail.com

How to find us:
Clayton Campus is located on Wellington Rd, near the intersection with Dandenong Rd. Melway page 70, F12.

Arriving at the main entrance (green circle), drive straight at the first roundabout and continue for 250m. On your left you will pass Robert Blackwood Hall, then there is a carpark.
Turn left into Union Loop Rd. Continue for 100m: turn right at the T-intersection, where Union Loop Rd curves around a gravel carpark. There are parking spaces on your left- this is the best spot to park (red circle).
Take the path between the Engineering building (60) and the IT building (63). After 50m there is a side path off to the left, heading towards the Campus Centre ("Union Building", 10). This path goes past the doors of Building 25 (yellow circle).
If you get lost, ask anyone for directions: Monash can be a maze and everyone understands how confusing it can be!

Parking:
Free parking is available in all the Red marked parking areas after 4pm.

So there you go! We hope to see you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Jackson
Australia
Boronia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good luck with the new club, I hope it goes allright!

Bit early start for me , but there will be a chance I get to pop along one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck with your new club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cw
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wish i was in the clayton campus :laugh: . Hola from sunway campus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

5 months on, and were are now completely official. Attendance remains strong, and we have a young, enthusiastic committee. Please - come join us.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Liu
Australia
Clayton South
VIC
flag msg tools
Hi, just wondering if the club is still running.I wish I can find some people to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, absolutely! We meet on Monday evenings on the third floor of the Menzies Building - there is a sign near the lifts (elevators).

On Saturday 13 March the club is having a games day in the basement of the Law Library, starting at noon and finishing at about 6pm. Please come and join us meeple

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose C
Australia
melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, l second that!
all the best for the new club...l am still in Tassie....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Jones
Australia
Oakleigh South
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are old people welcome? Or is it purely the hip student crowd?

What games are hitting the table of late?
Any interest in Ghost Stories or other co-ops?

If I bring Heroscape with I be beaten up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sheldon,

Certainly you'd be welcome - it's mostly a young crowd, but I'm 42...

Ghost Stories should be quite popular; there's a regular group that play Shadows over Camelot. Not sure about Heroscape, but I think you'll find players without any problem.

There are frequent games of Stephenson's Rocket, Small World, Power Grid, Stone Age and Mystery of the Abbey. Magic: The Gathering, Dominion and Race for the Galaxy get regular play as fillers.

Off the top of my head, all the following have also been played at least twice this year: Nexus Ops, Vikings, Chicago Express, Amun-Re, Hive, Carcassonne (etc), Masters Gallery, Oasis and Torres. So it's a pretty broad selection. Most members are eurogamers, but there are a few "generalists" like me and one or two who prefer 'trash.

Drop me a GM if you'd like to join us - Monash is in mid-term break, so I need to check if the club is using the same room, and when we restart.

Cheers,

-R

EDIT: Updated the venue info on the original post! I still need to check when we start meeting again.

EDIT 2: Monash Boardgames Society hopes to restart on Monday 26th July, venue is still to be determined. Watch this space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I reckon I'll drop by. Are you on next Monday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Prez emailed on the 17th: he was trying to book a regular room from Monday 26th onwards. No updates so far, but experience tells me:
(a) they will get a venue, but
(b) it could be somewhere else on campus, and
(c) we may not know until the last minute.
This is Monash Uni's Facilities Office doing the work it is famed for.
Last time they switched rooms on us we left directions at the old location - we lost about 20 minutes, so no huge drama.

I will edit the original post as soon as I get details.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Venue, 2nd Semester 2010

The Monash Boardgames Society meets every Monday from 5.00pm until 10.00pm at Monash Clayton, in room EH4 of the Engineering Hall, i.e. Building 60 on this map.

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Fitzroy
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

New Venue, 2nd Semester 2010

The Monash Boardgames Society meets every Monday from 5.00pm until 10.00pm at Monash Clayton, in room W218 of the Menzies Building, i.e. Building 11 on this map.

-R

just heard from the Club:

NO MEETING TONIGHT (July 26 2010) due to organizational issues and renovations with the Menzies Building.

Just FYI, passing the info along...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Monash Facility Services at their very best!

Stay tuned...

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest news is that there is still a problem with getting a room, so Monday 3 August is looking doubtful. Possible we will change to Tuesday nights if this continues.

As always: stay tuned.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! We have a room!

Building 60, room EH4.
Building 60 is the 'Engineering Hall'. It is adjacent to Union Loop
road, and is north-north-east of the Campus Centre.

The room has ample tablespace, as these rooms are often used as exam
halls during the exam period.

EDIT: Still meeting on MONDAY nights, too!

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smith jackson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
reviewed by me but i like to be here.

whats on in Melbounre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithjackson wrote:
reviewed by me but i like to be here.
whats on in Melbounre

OK... but you're welcome if you are ever in Australia.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Lee
Australia
Greensborough
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization in your game group? I would like try it out sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr026 wrote:
Do you have Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization in your game group? I would like try it out sometime.
I have it on the table 2m behind me
It is, however, unopened and unplayed. That could be remedied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Lee
Australia
Greensborough
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
dr026 wrote:
I have it on the table 2m behind me
It is, however, unopened and unplayed. That could be remedied.

Nice. I am checking my schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am waiting for details to be confirmed for 2011 - venue, days etc could change, depending on the whims of the facilities office. I'll update the original post once I have details. Otherwise there's always Eurogamesfest or Billabong Boardgamers in the interim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're back in 2011! Details updated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono Changoh
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I was just wondering if you guys have a Facebook page. The link on the MSA website seems to be broken when I click 'find us on facebook'.

I look forward to attending once I get back from Malaysia Sunway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.