Subject: Journal of a soldier rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fredrik Bexborn
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Partial report from a solo play (Base + DH + KH) starring Harvey Walters, Wendy Adams, Dexter Drake, and Mark Harrigan, as recounted in Mark's journal.

------

April 4th
Looks like I'm not alone after all. Some professor at the University had heard about me and told me that I was right. He had gathered me and a couple others in his office. One was some magician, looked like a loon, but he seemed to know... things. The other was a little girl. Jesus. Poor kid.

Seems there's something threatening the world. Something bad. The professor called it Yibb-somethingorother. I couldn't even pronounce it. He said he knew how we could stop it, but there wasn't much time. And we couldn't rely on much help, either. No kidding. Who would believe a street brat, an old geezer, some guy that looked right out of a circus and a washed up half-crazy soldier?

April 5th
I went to the Curiosity Shoppe to try to find something I could use against those beasts. Problem was, I didn't know anything about this kind of stuff. How was I to know what was a powerful weapon and what was junk? I stood there staring at some knives when an old crone pushed something into my hands. Called it a Blue Pyramid-watcher or something. Said I would need it, but only as a last resort. Good as anything, I guess.

April 6th
The professor said that a gate has opened to another world. The first of many. One of us had to go in and close it. The kid had volunteered, since she had a special thing that could help close it and keep it shut. I would've protested, but she had already gone in when I heard about it. God speed, kid.

April 10th
As the old man said, more gates had opened in the city. The kid managed to come back and used that sign thing of hers to close off that path, which bought us some time. Bad stuff was happening in other places too, so I ended up hopping on a train out to Dunwich. The professor was researching other leads in Arkham while the magician had hopped into another gate that had appeared at the graveyard. Seems he'd found some real magic. He said he even found a spell to find his way back from other worlds. I didn't really understand it, but he seemed confident. Course, that poof always seemed confident.

I kept trying to wrap my head around all this as I sat on the train, but it just seems like I can't keep the stuff in my head long enough to understand it. All I know is I've got a real bad feeling about Dunwich.

April 11th
The professor had been right again. Lucky me. One of those gates had opened at a place called Wizard's Hill. Nice name. I jumped in before I could think better of it. Don't know where the hell I am now. Nothing makes sense here. There's monsters. Luckily I've got my flamethrower. Gotta wonder how that kid managed to pull this off. Hope the others were keeping things under control back home.

April 13th (maybe, not sure)
Finally made it out of that place. I got the gate closed, but I just couldn't remember what I was supposed to do then to keep it that way. Whatever. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't open again.

April 14th
Saw something weird today. That's been happening a lot lately, but this was weirder than usual. I saw some guy in a cloak - cultists I think the professor had called them - and some... thing else just vanish into thin air. I don't know where they went, but I knew something bad had happened. Sure enough, I heard some farmers talking about some huge monster that had appeared on Sentinel Hill. Better go check it out.

April 15th
Can't really describe what it was. Just that it was big. And nasty. Took everything I had to keep myself from going bonkers just looking at it. How was I supposed to beat that thing? Then I remembered the pyramid-doohickey from the Shoppe. If anything was a last resort, this was. I don't know exactly what happened then, only that afterwards the monster was gone and my whole body hurt like a sunofabitch. After the thing disappeared, a cat started following me around. Hell if I know why, but it felt better having it around, so why not? Following me seemed like a damn foolish thing to do, though.

April 16th
Got word from the professor that time was running out. They needed me back in Arkham, so I hightailed it onto the next train. The old man had meanwhile been named deputy, or so I heard. An old geezer deputy sounded loony to me, but then again not much made sense these days. Maybe the police in Arkham were just getting desperate. Anyway, he had headed off to Kingsport. Seems something strange - that is, stranger than usual - was moving around in Arkham popping out monsters and whatnot, and apparently Kingsport is the cause. The kid had gone there earlier, but she had disappeared somewhere. Hope she's okay...

April 18th
I found the gate he mentioned, at that old house they said belonged to a witch. Jumped in. Thought I knew what to do this time. Thought I could finally end this. Stupid. Damn stupid. Don't know where I am. My minds playing pranks on me. Thought I saw that kid fly by on a white ship. Can't be real. All I know now is that I'm in a bad place. Real bad. I can see the way back, but to get there... The only thing is to break my way through. If I don't make it, I'm toast. I hope this journal at least makes it back somehow. Maybe it will help someone else. God help me...

April 19th
It was one-in-a-million, but I made it back. And I had the information I needed to seal that sucker off. For good. Everyone else was okay, too. More or less, anyway. I was half-dead and nearly loony and the magician had been to the asylum more than once for treatment. Seems tossing magic around does that to you, and he had lots of it. The kid was fine. A friggin' miracle, if you ask me. Or maybe it was thanks to the shotgun she was lugging around. How did she even manage to use that?

The professor said that the world was safe now. That we could rest. I don't know. I don't think I'll ever be able to rest again. Not until I'm dead, anyway. Maybe not even then. Hopefully Sophie can, though. Guess that's all that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trampas Johnson
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very entertaining! Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice writing. More!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bexborn
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I usually don't write session reports since I often don't remember so many details of a game, but this one stuck out for some reason. And the soldier's point of view was fun to do. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you struck an excellent balance between facts and feelings elicited and the journal format was very readable. I think you're a natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Malicki
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really nice story thank you for writing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide