Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Texas Glory: 1835-36» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Finally I know the exact meaning of 'Remember the Alamo' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good: Texmex War - Operational - Easy

Plus:
-Card- & box art are beautiful, good overal quality components
-Gameplay is quick and fun
-Nice swings of fortune; the cards ensure for a different game any time; it determains who is to start the turn and some have events.
-Sides play different due to assemtric forces
-Unbelievable variety of things going on with only 5 pages of rules; non complex and almost dive in and play.
-Very accessible and great fun

Minus:
-A mutant block here and there so watch out where you put a sticker on
-It makes a big difference if the Mexican player is allowed to start the first turn (small issue)
-I think the scednario's last a few turns too long. Especially the 1836 scenario could do with few turns less.

The usual great htos/liberty/crusader rex system with some own twists. Great theme.
I particularly like the activation system where leaders can activate their units within one hex range (exception is Santa Anna, who has a range of 2 hexes and not to forget the unit integrity).
I also like the 3 cards per round (1 round = 3 turns) as it does allow quick decision making with relatively fast rounds.
The battle system, like its predecessors is great.
With only little rules (the manual is effectively 5 pages).
I also love the assemetric forces; Mexicans must stive for a quick victory with their stronger army. Texan player must try to delay and hope for the right forces at the right time.
Incredible; only few rules but so many decisions and things going on.
Got this for the amazing price of 31 US$ + 9,95 US$ shipping from Columbia Games and I got it within 5 days after my purchase!!

Great price, great components. I had trouble with the stickers of Rommel in the Dessert but all is fine here. Rules are clear and as experienced Liberty/HTOS/CR player this is jump in and play.

The 1835 scenario is a cat and mouse game. The Mexican must strike swift and deadly before the Texans are built to full strength. A great learning scenario but one small mistake can lead to disaster on either side.
The 1836 is really nice with a lot of swinging fortunes. It seems a stalemate but the cards gives pushes the game to unexpected situations where you need to anticipate again on. Tough for the Mexican player; the longer it lasts the less chance to win.

Galveton seems too difficult to take and the other victory cities are darn far away from the Mexican starting point but time will tell what strategy prevails.

Overall: great little wargame with a fantastic theme and this one is of the same high quality as liberty. Luck is a factor due to cards and dice but I perceive this a positive as it provides for excitement and still rewards intelligent gameplay. If you want 2-3 hours of fun, this one is for you. I can't wait for 'Wars of the Roses'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:

I also like the 3 card turns as it does allow quick decision making with relatively fast rounds.

I think you're playing right, but this makes it sound like you're doing it wrong. You only play one card per turn, though you do of course have a "hand" of three cards.

Glad you're enjoying it - I really really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah you are right, I play it right and rewrote it. thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.