Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: DIY Contest - Simulation Sports Game - win 30gg! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by Mike Barlow's contest (4 tiles/4 cards), I got to thinking about a contest I'd love to see. I don't anticipate getting *many* entries...maybe not even any soblue, but it's worth a shot.

I've always been a fan of simulation sports games -- I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 unique sports simulation games; so it's definitely something I've enjoyed.

I can remember being in middle school, and inventing my own 'ski jumping' game, using a Mille Bornes deck (I remember nothing about it, however).

So, much like Mike's contest - after 'entries' are completed, there'll be a vote. The winner will get 30gg, plus any contributed to this thread. There may be some gg for 2nd place, depending entirely on the number of entries. (If there are at least 10 entries, then the 2nd place winner will receive 10gg, and any other contributed gg will be split evenly between 1st & 2nd place).

Here are the rules (in some cases, copied from Mike's contest, since it makes no sense to reinvent the wheel!)

This will be a sports simulation game contest. The sport chosen must be one that is 'familiar' to US fans (although, it need not be one of the 'major' sports - it could a less-covered sport -- tennis, golf, skiing, etc.

It should simulate an individual contest in the sport (one basketball game, one tennis match, etc.) - OR, it can focus on more of the team management aspects (college recruiting, baseball GM-type stuff).

It should have a moderate play-time (approx. 1-1.5 hr, at most) for the contest (but, if - for example - you're creating a baseball game, the entire *season* doesn't need to be done in that time...just each individual contest).

It should use real players (with stats readily available) - however, it can also use fictional players, provided there's some sort of statistics/traits referenced. In either case, there must be individual players included -- not simply "team" ratings.

When writing 'rules' - you don't need to cover the rules of the sport, itself...only as they pertain to the playing of your game. There is no size limit on the rules.

You can enter more than once.

The game should be playable solitaire.

The game CANNOT exist in the database already. It must be a new creation.

Post your game to this thread via a picture or link and explain how the game works or post the rules.

Like Mike's contest, you do not need to post a complete game to win this contest. If - for example - you're creating a baseball game, you don't need to rate *every* player to win the contest. But, you *should* create enough materials (cards, charts, etc.) where an individual could play a sample game.

Also, like Mike's contest, I'll give about a month to complete the contest - the contest will end Thursday, April 30.

There's a lot of rules - but there's a chunk of gg available - and, I'm selfish...I'm looking to play this game, so it should be something I'd like to play!

Feel free to ask ANY questions you may have -- I've never done this before, so I'm fairly certain there's definitely ways my own rules can be improved.

Good luck all!

Chris
5 
 Thumb up
6.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
The game should be playable solitaire.


One player playing two teams against each other counts, right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! Most sim sports games are like that...you're not necessarily trying to "win" - you're interested in seeing the 'outcome'.

Same thing with something that's more "pool-like" (like skiing, where it's not necessarily a one-on-one contest).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to think on this one. I think some sort of hockey simulation... hmmmm.....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the provisions for a '2nd place' award (didn't want to leave it open-ended).

Also - if there's a question on a game's eligibility/mechanics/focus, please email me or post here. I'd hate to see someone work on a game that ultimately doesn't meet the criteria (even that criteria that is unknown to me, at this time...kind of a "I'll know it when I see it" situation).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I might have to jump on this one....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea for a contest -- I kicked in 5 gg, feel free to distribute that to 2nd place or something else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bill!

So - if there are fewer than 10 entries, 1st place now stands to win 35gg.

More than 10 entries, and first place will get 32.5, and second will get 12.5

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Fray
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
where can we see he games database?
when is the deadline for submission?

Bob Fray
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

The "games database" is any game already in the BoardGameGeek Database (so, for example, for you, the "QwikStat Basketball" game is already submitted).

The deadline is April 30.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lotito
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a realistic sim or just something based on a a sport? So, if someone wanted to do a racing sim, it would be fine. But a Mario Kart like racing game wouldn't be?

Just want to know how realistic you want the sim and how faithfully you want us to represent the original sport.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

Tricky question...I mean, if someone came up with a game about - let's say - competitive bumper cars..but it had fictional players, and those players had abilities & traits & skills that affected their performance - I might consider that to be within the context of the contest.

The key is that it uses statistics that are easily accessible. It should be easy for someone to make their own players -- and, if those players are fictional, the gamer should be able to create more fictional players *and* the player's abilities should dictate the action.

In other words, a roll & move game about Mario Kart wouldn't work...

I don't know if I've answered your question necessarily...

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
The sport chosen must be one that is 'familiar' to US fans


"Familiar" in what way? Blood Bowl is "familiar" to us as a reimagining of American Football. Would Pixie-head Mini-golf be eligible? Golf on the Moon? Zero-gravity Football? (Remember, the enemy's goal is down!) Xtreeeme urban rush-hour downhill luge? X-Men table tennis?

I guess I'm asking how serious/real-life this is supposed to be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lotito
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
In other words, a roll & move game about Mario Kart wouldn't work...


But let's say you had different characters like in Mario Kart (Mario, Luigi, Peach, etc), and you could decide each turn whether to go faster and have less control, or move slower with more control, etc. And certain characters could go faster with more control, or other stats. And each character had a different "special". The game is a "racing" game, but with a twist.

Not that I'm intending to create a Mario Kart board game (though the idea is starting to run in my head), but just going for what you are intending. If your intent is a more realistic sports sim, that's fine. Just want to get at what you intended the contest to be for. =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Xtreeeme urban rush-hour downhill luge? X-Men table tennis?


laugh I would love to see these.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
Avatar
mbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
GreenDude wrote:
Xtreeeme urban rush-hour downhill luge? X-Men table tennis?


laugh I would love to see these.


I bet Jean Grey would have a wicked curve ball.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

I just got back from a convention - sorry for not having responded to your questions earlier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Lemur wrote:
The sport chosen must be one that is 'familiar' to US fans


"Familiar" in what way? Blood Bowl is "familiar" to us as a reimagining of American Football. Would Pixie-head Mini-golf be eligible? Golf on the Moon? Zero-gravity Football? (Remember, the enemy's goal is down!) Xtreeeme urban rush-hour downhill luge? X-Men table tennis?

I guess I'm asking how serious/real-life this is supposed to be.


jasonlotito wrote:
But let's say you had different characters like in Mario Kart (Mario, Luigi, Peach, etc), and you could decide each turn whether to go faster and have less control, or move slower with more control, etc. And certain characters could go faster with more control, or other stats. And each character had a different "special". The game is a "racing" game, but with a twist.

Not that I'm intending to create a Mario Kart board game (though the idea is starting to run in my head), but just going for what you are intending. If your intent is a more realistic sports sim, that's fine. Just want to get at what you intended the contest to be for. =)



My concern is this - my goal, really, was to have a sports sim game that I could - for example - grab stats off espn.com, plug into the formula, and play. I was (personally) leaning towards more obscure "real" sports, since I have a plethora of games reflecting the major sports.

I also - though - have no issue with using fictional characters in these games (fictional players for baseball, or football, etc) provided there's a mechanism for generating players included. I wouldn't want to see a mechanic that was basically, "make up ratings for a player."

But, when you start getting into fictional 'sports' - I definitely want to shy away from that, if for no other reason than the fact that I have no connection with it. But, also, 1) the rules will be far longer (because, not only do you have to explain your game; you have to also explain your sport (unlike realistic sports sims)) and 2) I fear an unfair advantage to those games. Someone could deliver an outstandingly designed basketball game; someone else could design a great beach volleyball game; and finally, a third person could present a decent game based on (for example) pixie-head mini-golf, or x-men table tennis. I think the majority of voters would vote for the third option because of its uniqueness; whereas I'd prefer to see them vote for #2 (a good game based on a non-major sport) or #1 (an outstanding game based on a major sport).

I don't want to squash someone's creative process; but I think - inventing a wacky sport game just for the sake of making it wacky, is not the way I imagined, or intended, this contest to head.

Does that answer the questions? Again - sorry to have been so long responding...

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McHugh
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
GreenDude wrote:
pmagnus wrote:
GreenDude wrote:
Xtreeeme urban rush-hour downhill luge? X-Men table tennis?


:laugh: I would love to see these.


I bet Jean Grey would have a wicked curve ball. :)


Frankly, I'd be a bit more concerned about playing against Gambit . . .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Can I use a game that I've half-way developed already (actually less than half!) and just add to it? It's been sitting around in a file for a year or so, and this would be a perfect entry for this contest and a good reason to finish it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting

Let's see, what the creative heads in here are up to this time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bluesea wrote:
Can I use a game that I've half-way developed already (actually less than half!) and just add to it? It's been sitting around in a file for a year or so, and this would be a perfect entry for this contest and a good reason to finish it.



LOL - could I *really* stop you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Lemur wrote:
bluesea wrote:
Can I use a game that I've half-way developed already (actually less than half!) and just add to it? It's been sitting around in a file for a year or so, and this would be a perfect entry for this contest and a good reason to finish it.



LOL - could I *really* stop you?


The reason I ask is that in the BGDF Monthly GDS, the games must be new ideas. No tapping into the files. (It's really more an intellectual exercise to jumpstart a design process.)

Here I was curious if such a condition applied only because there is GG at stake!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But, my point is - either way...I'm not the CIA. I can't tell if you submitted something you HAD been working on, and were just telling me it was 'new'...

There's nothing I could do to stop that, either way...

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Hi Bob,

The "games database" is any game already in the BoardGameGeek Database (so, for example, for you, the "QwikStat Basketball" game is already submitted).

The deadline is April 30.

Chris


What a pity .. this excludes people, that are not registered designers and that do not have any game listed here ..

Lemur wrote:
My concern is this - my goal, really, was to have a sports sim game that I could - for example - grab stats off espn.com, plug into the formula, and play. I was (personally) leaning towards more obscure "real" sports, since I have a plethora of games reflecting the major sports.


Uhmm .. could you maybe link to one of the sites that shows stats of one of those players? (didn't find any ..)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.