BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Going Shopping! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felipe Proto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, all

I am from Brazil, but I will be soon visiting Seattle and Cambridge, and I would like to bring a few toys back with me. If anyone can help me with the shopping list, it would be wonderful.

What i need to know:
-Best place to buy the games/toys
-Price i should expect

My to-buy list is as follows:
-Shadows Over Camelot + expansions
-Cash'n'Guns + expansion
-Betrayal on The House Of The Hill
-Munchkin + expansions
-Legend of The five Rings RPG Book
-Legend of The Five Rings CCG closed booster boxes
-RPG dice (the odder, the better. I collect them)
-NERF guns (just SO expensive here that i plan on bringing a few)

If anyone has any suggestions on where to buy them (I figure I can get some small discount if i buy them all together?) or other great games, I would be definetivelly grateful. If you live near those areas and can help me, I would be glad to pay you a lunch and a round of the newly-puchased games.

If you prefer, you can contact me at nerdmor@gmail.com

Thank you very much

Proto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Yu
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi Felipe,

I live in the Seattle area, and I do most of my shopping at Cardhaus (www.cardhaus.com" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener">http://wwww.cardhaus.com) They are located in a northern suburb of Seattle and offer next day local pickup of anything you order on their website. The retail store hours are only 12-5 Monday to Friday though so that might be a consideration for you, but the pricing is very competitive in relation to most internet retailers. They really don't have much of a retail store presence as it is basically just a small office to ship out games. Also they don't sell Nerf guns but there is a Toys'R US 2 blocks down the street from them that sells those things.

If you are looking for more of a full retail presence (a place to browse and play games that is), the two shops I would recommend are Blue Highway Games http://bluehighwaygames.com/ which is just outside of downtown and Uncle's Games http://www.unclesgames.com in Redmond (East side of Seattle across the lake). Both those places are great for just browsing and staff is helpful, but you will be paying close to MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't likely to find Betrayal at House on the Hill any cheaper when you visit than you could right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Proto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Stephen!

Thank you very much for the coordinates! They helped me very much! The only thing is: I won't have access to a car while in the city and I will be hosted at Hotel Deca (4507 Brooklyn Ave NE Seattle, WA 98105), the Cardhaus is quite far (Google won't even tell me how to get there by bus!). I SHOULD be able to get there on a Monday, though, given that someone teaches me how to do it or I find out how much would a taxi fare cost (resources are limited...)

But thank you so much once again! Their prices are low, so I may even find a way to bring a few more games!

Proto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not find a Cambridge in Washington state. If your visit is to Cambridge in Massachusetts, Games People Play has a great selection but expect retail prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Yu
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi Felipe,

There is a trip planner on the Seattle public transit website that can help you.

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl

Put in NE 45th St & Brooklyn Ave NE as your departure
Put in 196th St & Alderwood Mall Pkwy as your arrival

Then select your date and time and it will give you different itineraries.

As an example:
If you were leaving today at 10:55 am:

King County Metro Transit Trip Planner
Itineraries from
NE 45TH ST & BROOKLYN AVE NE to 196TH ST SW & ALDERWOOD MALL PKWY
(Service on Wednesday, 4/1/09)

Itinerary #1

Walk E from NE 45TH ST & BROOKLYN AVE NE to
Depart NE 45th St & Brooklyn Ave NE At 10:55 AM On Route CT 810 McCOLLUM P/R via LYNNWOOD
Arrive LYNNWOOD P-R & BAY A2 At 11:31 AM
Transfer to
Depart LYNNWOOD P-R & BAY B2 At 11:45 AM On Route CT 120 UW-BOTHELL
Arrive 196th St & Alderwood Mall Pkwy At 11:51 AM
Walk W to 196TH ST SW & ALDERWOOD MALL PKWY

Regular Fare: Senior/Disabled Fare with Permit:
$ 3.50 $ 1.50

About Fares and Transfers

Itinerary #2

Walk E from NE 45TH ST & BROOKLYN AVE NE to
Depart NE 45th St & Brooklyn Ave NE At 10:55 AM On Route CT 810 McCOLLUM P/R via LYNNWOOD
Arrive LYNNWOOD P-R & BAY A2 At 11:31 AM
Transfer to
Depart LYNNWOOD P-R & BAY B3 At 11:55 AM On Route CT 113 MUKILTEO
Arrive ALDERWOOD PKWY & 196TH ST SW At 12:01 PM
Walk S to 196TH ST SW & ALDERWOOD MALL PKWY

Regular Fare: Senior/Disabled Fare with Permit:
$ 3.50 $ 1.50

Also depending on when you are going to be in Seattle, I might be able to give you a ride or help you arrange transportation. I would definitely say that you will want a map of Seattle if you're going to be venturing on the bus so you don't get too lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Proto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your help!

JAE: A friend just told me that Betrayal on The House of the Hill is not made anymore. Thank you very much!

Soren: Yeah, its Cambridge in Massachusetts. Going to visit a friend on MIT. And I will check on the store, thank you very much!

Stephen: You have been so helpful that I am almost embarrassed. I will be on Seattle from the 11th of April to the 19th, but I only have until the 13th for myself, as a school competition will start on the 14th and last until the 19th, when I leave. So I am planning on going to Cardhaus on the 13th. Any chance we could meet?

One single problem, though: Cardhaus does not carry RPG books or dice. Where can I find those in either Seattle or Cambridge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you hit all the thrift shops too. Those thrifters in Seattle seem to have mad, crazy luck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Yu
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
I unfortunately can not take 3 hours for lunch on a Monday (I work on the East side so getting to UW would take about 45 minutes), but I can probably sneak away for 2 hours. If you don't mind taking the bus up to Lynnwood (where Cardhaus is located), I could meet you there, you can pick up your games, then I can drive us over to the Alderwood Mall (where the Toys 'R Us is located), and we can have lunch at the food court there.

Afterward, we can head down to Gary's Games http://garysgamesandhobbies.com/ as they pretty much have the best role playing game selection in town and it is not too far from where you are staying, and then drop you off at your hotel so that you don't have to lug around all those board games, role playing books, and Nerf guns on the bus. Lunch will have to be fairly quick and you will probably also need to run in grab what you want and get out of Gary's Games since I will have another 45 minute drive back to work after I drop you off. If that sounds good I'll geekmail you my cell phone number and you can give me a call when you get into town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Yu
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
kendahlj wrote:
Make sure you hit all the thrift shops too. Those thrifters in Seattle seem to have mad, crazy luck...

There's a Half Price books right near the University of Washington, and they usually have a great selection of board games and books since the University students get rid of all that stuff near the end of the semester (also a great way to pick up free crappy used furniture the day after dorm move out day at the end of the semester, but that's an entirely different discussion!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Proto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen

Thank you so much for the help. I really don't mind taking the bus anywhere (its mainly the way I get around here in Brazil). We can meet either at Lynnwood or at the Cardhaus (whatever is easier for you). Just tell me where and what time we (bringing a friend along. Hope that's ok?) should be there and we will be there. You are saving me a taxi ride back (I was planning on it until you offered a ride.), so I'll be glad to pay for your lunch.

Thank you again for your help and consideration.

Felipe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked around and was told that Pandemonium, also in Cambridge MA, might be a better choice for RPG stuff. The same person also said that he'd recommend The Compleat Strategist as his first choice for someone looking for RPG items. They're further away, in Boston. I haven't been to either, nor do I know the area well so I can't say how inconvenient the latter store would be.

For any store you plan to visit, you could email the stores to do some comparison shopping.

Hope you enjoy Cambridge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Proto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cass

I will be sure to check on them!
I shall be hosted near MIT (got a friend there). I'm guessing he can arrange to help me get to the stores.

Once again, thank you very much everyone. IF all forums on the net were this friendly, the world would be a much better place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls