Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I'm going to be moving to San Antonio in May or June, and I'm hoping to get a response from gamers in the area. I'm leaving behind all of my boardgaming buddies and I'm gonna need a fresh batch.

I'm also hoping that local San Antonio gamers will be able to offer suggestions for good local game stores--anywhere within 30 miles of Sea World is fine.

So gimme a shout and let's talk. Oh! And I'm bringing my 800+ games with me!!!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Have no fear:

http://www.saboardgamers.blogspot.com.

http://www.dlair.net

I think you're the third person recently to announce intentions of moving here -- we're going to grow a lot in the near future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said. If you are out by seaworld, you may want to stop by Central Command games (don't know the URL), which is really just a small store inside a big comic shop, but Dragon's Lair is where SABG meets. (It's probably not that far from you, 20-30 minutes tops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the land of year-round scorching summer and 24 hour taco stands! I'd like to also point out that there are some great places to hike around the west side of San Antonio.

(the breakfast tacos are what I miss most about SA)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As an ex-Austinite, I can also recommend occasional excursions to the nearby Austin gaming scene!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
800 games? Great googily-moogily!

See you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
800 games? Great googily-moogily!

See you soon.

Only 800? Lightweight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
As an ex-Austinite, I can also recommend occasional excursions to the nearby Austin gaming scene!

By Texas standards, Austin is pretty close to San Antonio. Shoot, I'll be heading down there this weekend for my son's soccer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By Texas standards, California is pretty close to New York.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FLGS: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm actually in San Antonio for the entire month of April if any of you would care to meet up for a cup of coffee or some casual gaming.

I've scoured San Antonio for game stores and managed to visit Central Command (which is apparently never actually open) and Dragon's Lair. At Dragon's Lair I found a modest but acceptable offering of games for sale, and received the standard luke-warm customer service that seems to be the best you can ever expect from game store owners/employees (anyone know why this is?).

I've never been thrilled at the prospect of sitting in a public store to play games (I have trouble getting comfortable in those environments). When I asked about regular board game nights I was given a less-than-enthusiastic wave of a hand toward a few tables set up in the middle of the store and told that a few people sometimes play there on Mondays or Tuesdays. Hmmmph.

So much for that!

Sooo--any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
What he said. If you are out by seaworld, you may want to stop by Central Command games (don't know the URL), which is really just a small store inside a big comic shop, but Dragon's Lair is where SABG meets. (It's probably not that far from you, 20-30 minutes tops).

They closed Purple Cactus, which I think is where Central Command was. Unless I am thinking of another store that was near me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dathkadan wrote:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm actually in San Antonio for the entire month of April if any of you would care to meet up for a cup of coffee or some casual gaming.

I've scoured San Antonio for game stores and managed to visit Central Command (which is apparently never actually open) and Dragon's Lair. At Dragon's Lair I found a modest but acceptable offering of games for sale, and received the standard luke-warm customer service that seems to be the best you can ever expect from game store owners/employees (anyone know why this is?).

I've never been thrilled at the prospect of sitting in a public store to play games (I have trouble getting comfortable in those environments). When I asked about regular board game nights I was given a less-than-enthusiastic wave of a hand toward a few tables set up in the middle of the store and told that a few people sometimes play there on Mondays or Tuesdays. Hmmmph.

So much for that!

Sooo--any other suggestions?

We are the group that plays on Monday's. So you just have to catch us there. Check the blog. We post planning posts. Sometimes early weekend, sometimes Sunday/Monday. But we usually post. And someone is almost always there on Mondays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls