Subject: Operational Friction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
starkeyboy
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: History buffMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Quote:
However, modding Kutuzov probably will not work, for the much greater pile of combat modifying battle and response cards work very well to cut out the ridiculous outliers often possible in BOD combat systems.
So, does luck of the draw and hand management become a sub-game-within=the-game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit fanMicrobadge: Sakura Hunt fanMicrobadge: Information Technologist
starkeyboy wrote:
Quote:
However, modding Kutuzov probably will not work, for the much greater pile of combat modifying battle and response cards work very well to cut out the ridiculous outliers often possible in BOD combat systems.
So, does luck of the draw and hand management become a sub-game-within=the-game?

Certainly. The hand management bit is extremely important.

In the past we had just dice, and events tables. Now they are connected. We must explore the economics of warfare - what can be done, versus what 'resources' (not to be confused with the games resource markers) we have to get things done.

For example, do I save up my opportunity to advance with an army, or do I have to use my cards (opportunities) to salvage a situation my enemy has inflicted on me?

The CDG mechanic adds an additional dimension to wargaming that was missing for years - it obliterates the old style omnipotence with managed chaos. Simply calculating movement points and odds no longer works. One must, like Napoleon practiced and wrote about, be prepared for anything.

Every hand one sees multiple forks of what can be done, and one is aware that things might not be possible based on what could happen that you have no control over.

As gittes put in his review, it is deeply involved game.

The CDG wargame, and especially Kutuzov and Wellington, brilliantly illustrates Napoleon's second Maxim:

Maxim II. In forming the plan of a campaign, it is requisite to foresee everything the enemy may do, and to be prepared with the necessary means to counteract it. Plans of campaign may be modified, ad infinitum, according to circumstances -- the genius of the general, the character of the troops, and the topography of the theater of action.

If an operational wargame can do that, it is an excellent treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls