Subject: Pandemic online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: Saxophone fanMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: Man, I really wish he'd stop organizing his pieces - they're all in rows. Put them in a pile, for Pete's sake!
Hey y'all,

I've been working on an online version of Pandemic for a few weeks and would like to invite you to come check it out here: http://fungame.heroku.com

The matchmaking system and graphics still need work but the game & rules should be all there.

Thanks,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Stronghold Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
Am I doing something wrong? I set up a game, but every time I click start it says "The page you were looking for doesn't exist".

Any tips?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Where's Winkles?
same here
I was wondering if you can play solo games (against computers), or just players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: Saxophone fanMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: Man, I really wish he'd stop organizing his pieces - they're all in rows. Put them in a pile, for Pete's sake!
Looks like there was a bug with the start -> redirect, should be fixed now.

Since the site is under pretty constant development, I think it'd be best if everyone could just message me directly instead of posting on the forum if you find a bug. Also, any suggestions for improvements are welcome. Thanks!

Also, Pandemic should currently be playable either solo or up to 5 players, though I've found it's pretty difficult as a solo researcher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: I play with green!
Hey, not bad!

I solo'ed the game as the Medic and lost with 3 cures in hand. I haven't played the game with a single pawn since my early playtests. I spent about 1/3 the game waiting for my fifth red card and was forced to discard cards I'd eventually need. (One of the perils of solo play is the very small hand size.) I lost because the draw pile was exhausted.

Some missing features that would improve the game:
- ability to inspect the discard piles
- ability to know how many cards are in the player draw pile
- eliminate the need to click on cubes (as the medic) once a cure has been found (although I appreciate the fact that you're not counting the click as an action)
- ability to play a Special Action card during the discard step
- would be great if the cures and eradicated disease state showed up on the board in the standard spot. (I bet you're planning this.)

Crude as the graphics are, I found the interactions pretty intuitive, at least to someone who has played the board game before.

- Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fanMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
I also tried as the medic, and ran into a bug when I tried to remove a cube (free action) after my fourth action, which was a move.

I think I had already drawn my next two cards at this point and needed to discard, and me removing the cube caused me to draw ANOTHER two cards, putting me at 11 for a moment. I still only drew the expected 3 infection cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
Microbadge: The Warren RPG fanMicrobadge: Dogs in the Vineyard RPG fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: Duke University
Nifty. I had a problem with selecting cubes in New York. Also, it was not evident how to use my abilities at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pool
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: University of California - BerkeleyMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: Game Explainer
This is a lot of fun. Well done!

I was able to play solo with the Medic and win with blue eradicated, 18 cards left, 6 outbreaks, and an infection rate of 3.

Two things that came up:

1. So much of the interactions are on the board itself (e.g. clicking on a location or cube) that I was lost figuring out how to fly to a location. I assumed that if I had the card, I could just click on the map location. Instead, I had to click in my list of cards.

2. When I had to discard, the yellow cards didn't provide as much contrast to see the names very well. Also, it would have helped to use a numbered list, instead of having to count each time.

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: Plays games on the floorMicrobadge: I like to shuffleMicrobadge: Yo La Tengo fanMicrobadge: Gamer Dad
After logging in, I keep getting the "Connecting..." message at the top, which never goes away. It's getting a 404 - Not Found on crossdomain.xml.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
joeeoj010 wrote:
Hey y'all,

I've been working on an online version of Pandemic for a few weeks and would like to invite you to come check it out here: http://fungame.heroku.com

The matchmaking system and graphics still need work but the game & rules should be all there.

Thanks,
Joe
Pandemic looks good.

However Tom Lehmann said that he doesn't want "home" versions of RftG available online so I don't know how far should you proceed with the other venture...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback! This has been a really fun project, and I'm stoked that people are enjoying it. I'm continuing to fix bugs and clean up the interface. I finally added a difficulty setting, and will probably add some more options/variants to keep things interesting, especially since it looks like most people are playing solo games.

re: Branko, I read up about RftG, that's too bad, but I guess the publishers are making an official computer version and don't want any homebrewed games around. Anyhow, some of my favorite games like RftG or Through the Ages would be especially hard to implement full rules for because of all the particular exceptions for each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
Microbadge: I play DiplomacyMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Pandemic: Rising Tide fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
Excellent! I've never been that thrilled with the coop element in Pandemic, and there's a lot of prep work with the cards, so I've always thought it would be perfect for an online solo game.

Operations Expert, Dispatcher, and Researcher are largely to fully useless in a solo game; you should have the option to choose which role you take in general, which would be a nice feature for multi-player and eliminate the need to keep restarting a solo game if you want to get Medic or Scientist.

Also, two possible bugs:
- I think when using the Medic on cubes that have a cure for that colour, and when using an airlift or the research stations, it doesn't remove the cubes at the destination. Not sure, might have reinfected instead.
- When starting your turn at a research station with disease cubes, if you research the cure at the station for the same colour as the cubes that are there, the cubes don't disappear (I assume the code only checks after you've moved to a destination, not after a cure has been researched)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
Microbadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Tennessee Game Days attendeeMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Smith!Microbadge: Eldritch Horror fan
This is really cool, but for some reason some of the moves I tried to do wouldn't work. I was clicking on an adjacent city name and it wouldn't let me go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: I listen to the Draft Mechanic podcastMicrobadge: SubmarineMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Bacon lover
I can't get the game to work. I tried building a research station as directed by "clicking on the card, then clicking on my location" and it never worked.

Also tried curing cubes in my location by clicking on them. The border turned purple, but that was it. I could also click on all cubes on the board...

Am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Liljeberg
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Parent of Four BoysMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne fan
I have registered, but when I log in (with Firefox on Mac and on PC) I can't get past the "Connecting..." overlay. Anyone know what might be causing this?

EDIT: I managed to get a new game started using some URL-fiddling, but I can't access it! Can you ditch the overlay thing so the actual page can be accessed? Please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I'm afraid I need to take the site down for a while as there are some issues with the hosting and connectivity, I'll try to get it back online as soon as I have some time.
If there are any Ruby on Rails developers interested in working on the project, I'd be happy to share the source with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Randall
United States
California
flag msg tools
Any news on this? I get the endless spinning Connecting... of death on all of Mac/Firefox, Mac/Safari, Mac/Opera, and Linux/Firefox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wang
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Ruby programmerMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
I am having the same problem with the endless spinning connection screen. I'm using a mac with both safari and firefox browsers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Johnson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Stone Age fanMicrobadge: San Juan fanMicrobadge: Ingenious fanMicrobadge: Portland Trailblazers fan
Spinning connection screen. Over and over and over again. Intrigued by the site still though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Philadelphia Eagles fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Mahjong fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Same here, spinning connecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
Microbadge: Torchbearer RPG fanMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 2023Microbadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: MYTH fan
Nicely implemented. Solo play is fun.

Only found one bug so far: Although I discovered the cure for the blue disease, there was an epidemic in Paris. (No infection is displayed on the map.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
Evil Knivel wrote:

Only found one bug so far: Although I discovered the cure for the blue disease, there was an epidemic in Paris. (No infection is displayed on the map.)
The cure doesn't stop an epidemic. Only eradication does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
Microbadge: Torchbearer RPG fanMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 2023Microbadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: MYTH fan
baba44713 wrote:

The cure doesn't stop an epidemic. Only eradication does.
Oh, sorry. That's what I meant: I eradicated a disease and it continued to cause epidemics, increase the infection rate, etc.

Also, I found a second minor error: The help text states that you need "4 cards of one color" to cure a disease. Should read "5 cards of one color".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
I'm getting the spinning ... never connecting. WebKit based browsers.

Also, as a classically trained typograher and designer of 20+ years I beg you to change the script font you're using on the site. It's really hard to read. Please.

I definitely want to get on to the game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Philadelphia Eagles fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Mahjong fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Any chance we'll be getting On the Brink too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |