Subject: VVVVariation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Moi j'm'en fous je triche fan - Board game café in Lyon, FranceMicrobadge: Cribbage fanMicrobadge: Dominion fan
Having learned, played, and purchased DiXit at a recent trip to a board game and ski meet-up in France, I borrowed this player sequence variation from one of the play groups there.

I call it the

Valmeinier Valloir Vacances Variation and it works like this:

Instead of using "clockwise order," the next story teller is someone who has an idea based on the cards in their hand. The goal is to get around a "forced" turn when a player does not have any ideas. Of course, once a player has taken a turn, s/he cannot be story teller again until all other players have had their turn.

For example:
A, B, C, and D are playing DiXit. All cards are dealt and the game begins. Everyone looks at their cards, and after a bit, C gets an idea. C chooses a card and tells a story. Once C's turn ends, it is up to A, B, or D to make a play. If, for example, B gets an idea and tells the next story, then it is up to A, and D to choose a card and tell a story. B and C must wait to be story teller until all four players have had a chance to be story teller, at which point everyone can join in again. etc.

Edit:I must admit, I stole this idea from Nathalie at Valmeinier.

Hope you enjoy this variation.
mikey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Follow me on InstagramMicrobadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: GameChat League - Swedish Meatball Division
Sounds good. And as it doesn't really change the game, only speeds it up a bit, it might be the very first unofficial game variation that I might try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: True NeutralMicrobadge: My S.O. hates gamesMicrobadge: Raising GamersMicrobadge: This is so exciting! I've never been so excited! Well, except for that time when I went "Oh my gosh, I'm a microbadge!", but I mean, really, who can top that?!
mbrna wrote:
The goal is to get around a "forced" turn when a player does not have any ideas. Of course, once a player has taken a turn, s/he cannot be story teller again until all other players have had their turn.
So...what's the point? Just to move the game along faster? Because you still have to wait for all the players to play a card. Also, when you play in clockwise order you know exactly how much time you have before it's your turn again, so you can constantly be thinking up good words/stories for your cards. That way, when it's your turn you are ready and (theoretically) no one has to wait. In this variation, though, there's not even the surety of knowing who will go next, so the fast-thinkers will snatch their turns, and then the slow-players will take their turns, and it will all just amount to a new turn order (based on speed, not sitting position). As far as I can tell, nothing changes.

If the variation rewarded fast-thinkers and penalized the slower players, that would be a real variation to the game, though. You could do this thusly:

(1) Deal 5 cards face-down to each player.
(2) Players look at their cards simultaneously. The first player to think of a word/story idea for one of their cards slams their card down on the center of the table. This player becomes the storyteller and AUTOMATICALLY advances one space on the scoring track.
(3) The storyteller tells the other players the word/phrase that corresponds with his chosen card.
(4) The other players race to place their own cards on the table beside the storyteller's card. The FIRST player to place his card on the table advances his token one space on the scoring track. The LAST player to place his card on the table moves his token backward one space on the scoring track.
(5) As per the normal rules, the cards are shuffled and revealed to the players who then (secretly) bid on which card they think belongs to the storyteller.
(6) BONUS: If the first player to place his bidding token correctly guesses the storyteller's card, that player gets an extra point.

Once the storyteller's true card has been revealed, repeat steps 1-6 (dealing 5 new cards to each player with every hand).

This way the game rewards those that think quickly AND guess correctly. You'll notice that you can also gain more points by being a regular player than you can by constantly taking the role of storyteller, but the risk is also greater.

I'm not saying I like this variant (I personally think Dixit is great as it is and I wouldn't add anything this complicated to a game that's meant to be a fun/social/party game), but if you're (a) trying to spice things up, (b) wanting to speed the gameplay up a bit, and (c) like adding some screwage to your games... well, this would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls