Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We often hear about poor service or places you wouldn't return to, so I'd thought it'd be just as important to share information about places that were doing a fantastic job.

This past Friday I went Uncle's Games in Redmond Town Center (Washington) for their evening game night. Bottom line is that I had a fantastic time.

I arrived a little after 7 to find the tables nearly full already, but managed to jump into a game of Agricola with two guys (Reed and Joe?). Neither had played before, and I had only played once. I had found my first go round of the game kind of dull. This time was different, and suddenly the game made sense. It was tense and fun as my wooden family disks scraped through each harvest.

Part way through the game, someone at the register yelled, "Pretzels are here!" and there was a rush to grab pretzels. Never quite sure if they were pre-ordered or not, I hung back a bit. After becoming convinced that they were indeed free, I grabbed a delicious cheese covered pretzel.

The game went on and Joe took us to school with his well organized self-sustaining farm full of gainfully occupied employees (complete with what could only have been a factory floor full of improvements...).

Immediately afterward I was able to jump in on a game of Race for the Galaxy, with several game night regulars (Mike, Kitt, and Enrique?). Mike and Kitt were patient teachers as we fumbled our way through. This was on my hotlist to try and buy. After one game, I'm fairly confident that it isn't right for me and my wife, although it does seem like there's a pretty deep game there.

We then launched into a game of Dominion. Another one on my hot to try and buy list. It was fun, but again, not right for me. I would like to play it more, but I'm not in quite as big a hurry anymore.

After that, it was 11:30, I had gotten 3 great games in (2 all new to me), and made some new friends. So I called it a night, and a good one at that.

I didn't get a chance to play Pandemic, but judging by the line waiting to play the store copy, I doubt that will be a problem to find participants next time.

Overall, I was surprised at the number of people they were able to cram around the tables, and at the end of the night, how many teens were there by the end of the night. They were not only well behaved, but good gamers, too. Definitely a great place for teens to go and do something, which there are far too few of these days...

To follow up, I went on Saturday to their family game time, with my kids (4 1/2 and 2). The staff was friendly and helpful. They even opened up a copy of Qwirkle for us to try. We loved it, and will likely put it on our Holiday purchase list. The kids also loved playing some game with monkeys and a tree, and Rattlesnakes. Our oldest requesting we go back to play it again on Sunday.

I've been a big fan of Uncle's for several years now, entirely because of their clean atmosphere and extremely friendly staff, but now I'm a huge fan. Thanks for the great time. I'll be returning to play with you all some more.

Kurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

They run a good show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Uncle's Games in Spokane Valley, their Friday night game night has been a little disappointing to me. I've only gone a couple of times, and only stayed to play once. Not many people are there and it feels more like a time to demo some games instead of to sit down and play (unless you are a part of the CCG crowd). I love the store, I've purchased a number of games from them and go in every time I'm at the mall, I'm just disappointed that the game night was a let down for me.

My quest for a gaming night in the area continues!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just happy they finally opened one at Southcenter. No more having to drive all the way to Bellevue or Redmond!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls