Paul Healey
United Kingdom
Hoddesdon
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective AgencyMicrobadge: The Expanse fanMicrobadge: This, Jen, is the Internet.Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: A Study in Emerald fan
I pulled this game out on good friday having downloaded it and assembled it last year. I decided I needed to give it a try and set it up in our dining room.

This really is a rather good little game wioth some very interesting desicions to be made by both players. The Allies have to decide how to best use their air units whether to build up supplies early and then use the ground attack aircraft later on to defend and maybe attack.

For the Allies attacking takes a lot of thought. The Japanese player just keeps sloging away and must decide whether to split his forces to attempt to capture more than one airfield at once or just capture them one at a time.

The CRT is a bit peculiar and seems to be very much in favour of the defender.

I found some confusion over the way step losses/retreats are hadled and in the end allowed step 1 step lose to cover all the losses rather than retreat all units.

It took some time for me to realise that winning the initiative for the allies enables the Allies to move a brigade which doesn't include the armour.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game and considering it can be downloaded for free is quite amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
For anyone who's interested, George MacDonald Fraser (the author of the Flashman series) was an infantryman in this campaign, and his memoir Quartered Safe Out Here contains a description of his part in the taking of Meiktila.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls