Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I got a question about my magnetic Ogre from another BGGer, so I thought I'd post the response I sent him to give others a since of how my magnetic ogre collection came to be...

The box came from Utrecht, an art supply store. (They have an easy to find online presence, I believe.) The brand on the box is ArtBin and the great thing about it is that it comes with dividers and slots where you can put them (so it is somewhat adjustable).

The magnetic tape comes from Michael's, a craft store chain, however you can also get rolls of magnetic tape online as well. The longer the roll is the better, because it's easier to bend the tape a little to get it to lie flat. The rolls come in 1/2in. width, which is perfect for Ogre counters, and 1 in. width, which is great from some of the large Car Wars counters.

The tape is adhesive on one side, so it's easy to measure it against the counter, mark it, and then cut it to the proper size. I adopted a technique of cutting the pieces a little long and then trimming them back to get a more exact match of the counter.

I bought some thin metal sheets at Lowe's to play on, but really anything magnetic will do. I dream of a large gaming table with a sheet metal top!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kruse
United States
Cavour
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wal-mart also sells the magnetic tape back in the craft section. I'm not sure if they have it in .5 inch width, but I did buy some that was 1 inch wide.

laters

rdk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason magnetic tape is inordinately expensive at big box hardware stores like Lowe's & Home Depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Young
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just went to Wal-Mart. In the craft section, they sell sheets of adhesive magnetic paper in packs of two. They are 5x8 inches and sell for ~$2.50. I got four sheets (two packs) and it was enough to make all the counters in the new Ogre redesign (which is awesome!). I also got a pack of self laminating sheets to make the counters more durable. Very cool stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.