T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Battlestar Galactica board game a few months ago, then recently I saw the 4-hour miniseries pilot for the new television show, and then yesterday I played the board game for a second time. As a result of that experience, I thought I'd ask the following two polls. Please answer the first poll if you have seen any episodes of the television show, and please answer the second poll if you have not seen any episodes of the television show. I'm curious how much this will affect the results. Thanks!

Poll
Please only answer this poll if you have seen at least one episode of the Battlestar Galactica television show. What is your rating of the game?
Have not played and no interest in playing
Have not played, but interested in playing sometime
      114 answers
Poll created by Thommy8

Poll
Please only answer this poll if you have NOT seen any episodes of the Battlestar Galactica television show. What is your rating of the board game?
Have not played and no interest in playing
Have not played, but interested in playing sometime
      14 answers
Poll created by Thommy8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of at least one person that I played with that played the game before seeing any of the show, then again after seeing the show.

They liked it more after knowing the plot and characters.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I know of at least one person that I played with that played the game before seeing any of the show, then again after seeing the show.

They liked it more after knowing the plot and characters.

Yeah, I liked the game a lot more after knowing some of the plot and characters. I had heard and been told that seeing the show was not at all necessary to enjoy the game, but I think that's really inaccurate, at least in my limited experience. I was wondering if the data would bear out my feelings, but it may be hard to find many people who haven't seen the show on this site, but have played the game, as evidenced by the zero responses so far. Anyway, I've only seen the pilot so far, and am on the waiting list at the public library for the first season DVD's, but I enjoyed the pilot, and knew right away that I needed to give the game a second try. I didn't enjoy the game when I first tried it a few months ago, but I was pretty lost and didn't know what was going on or why. Just having watched the pilot made me understand the game a lot more, know the characters, and enjoy the experience much more. It's like the A Game of Thrones board games I think (although I never played it before having read the books). But I enjoy the board game, and I think that's in large part due to having read and enjoyed the books, so I'm familiar with the material and have some connection to the characters, places, and events of the story. Just curious if others feel similarly when it comes to games like Battlestar Galactica and A Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I decided to go ahead and try the same polls for A Game of Thrones, we'll see how it goes... See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/400668.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both the show and the game. I think the game as a stand-alone is very strong - I'd give it a high 8. But my BGG rating is a 9, because it gets an extra point for a well thought out translation of thematic material.

P.S. How was Caprica? I'm on the fence about buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you ask this as my rating is an 8.5, because as a game I give it an 8, but if you've seen the show (I watched Mini-series through season 2) and know the theme, I give it a 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
I love both the show and the game. I think the game as a stand-alone is very strong - I'd give it a high 8. But my BGG rating is a 9, because it gets an extra point for a well thought out translation of thematic material.

Can you really divorce yourself from having seen the show? It seems pretty hard to know what you would give the game as a stand-alone without having seen the show, no? Or did you actually have an opportunity to play the game before seeing the show? Since you already know the characters and plot, you automatically have an easier time getting into the game and enjoying the experience, I would think. I just know that in my first playing, I felt fairly lost and disinterested because there was no attachment to the material, but it was totally different in my second playing. Perhaps that's due in part to just being more familiar with the game itself, but I think it's due primarily to knowing the characters and plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've introduced the game to 3 people that hadn't seen the show. 2 of them loved it - even more than some of the people that had seen the show.

Thommy8 wrote:
I had heard and been told that seeing the show was not at all necessary to enjoy the game, but I think that's really inaccurate, at least in my limited experience.

I know my experience is limited as well, but I don't think it was inaccurate to say it's not that important.

I think a better statement might be that it's a great game that you might enjoy more if you like the show. But in no way would I see it as a precondition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game and rated it a 9. I then started watching the show, and bumped my rating to a 10 for two reasons:
- It's definitely more fun to play when you know the show.
- Others that I've introduced the game to have really enjoyed it, even though they've never seen the show.

So, I agree with killjoy00 - it's a great game on its own, but the experience is heightened if you know the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the show and got the game because I liked the show (a big risk!), I rate the game at around 9, we have played with some players who have not watched the show, but playing the game has made them all start watching! I would be interested in knowing if there is anyone out there who plays the game and has no interest at all in watching the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
DancerInDC wrote:

Can you really divorce yourself from having seen the show? It seems pretty hard to know what you would give the game as a stand-alone without having seen the show, no? Or did you actually have an opportunity to play the game before seeing the show? Since you already know the characters and plot, you automatically have an easier time getting into the game and enjoying the experience, I would think. I just know that in my first playing, I felt fairly lost and disinterested because there was no attachment to the material, but it was totally different in my second playing. Perhaps that's due in part to just being more familiar with the game itself, but I think it's due primarily to knowing the characters and plot.

That's true for me, but amongst my gaming group, only 2 of us had seen the show. We all mutually agreed on the strength of the game itself, so I knew that my opinion of the game was only slightly colored by my love for the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen a single episode of the show, and I've rated the game a 6. I believe my lack of knowledge made the game considerably less thematic in feel. (It all seemed rather mechanical to me.) I also felt kind of left out when the rest of the players were making jokes and comments about the characters and events from the series.

The problem with this poll is that you won't get many people who don't like the game stopping in to give their opinions. I only stumbled upon it accidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the show, and felt the game suffered from too much down time and is a little overlong for what it is. It's not bad, and I can't really rate it lower than 6, but it's not my cup of tea. I'm pretty sure that if I'd seen the show my rating would be higher -- the downtime could be filled with my own narrative as it relates to the narrative of the show, and that would likely entertain me quite a bit.

Edit: Blott and I seem to be on the exact same page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I played this game it was me (A BIG time follower of the show) two people who had only seen one season, and one person who had never even seen a single episode, and all four of us loved the game, so I think I can say, from a design standpoint and from a fanboy standpoint, its a well made game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James White
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I rated lower than 10 because it is very hard to train a group of six in the way the game works. It takes a dedicated group.

if you have an easily available board-gaming group, then heck yeah it's a ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark H.
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the pleasure of playing the game for the first time at Gencon, hadn't watched an episode of the show, but played with big fans of the show.

I was intrigued by the characters and liked them a bunch then, save Gaius, who seemed like a royal ass as a character and possibly as a player, but at the same time also mildly amusing as a player. It was odd. The BSG jokes and jargon were flying all over the place, and the linkage to the gameplay made it immediately clear to me that I needed to go back and watch the series. When my wife and I started going back and doing just a few weeks later I was amused to find that the Gaius character on the series was amusing to watch from a drama perspective, but a real ass of a human being!

Really like the game, as does my wife, awesome fun all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the show and played the boardgame. I think the Boardgame is better than the TV show.

I do like spotting people issue Executive Orders in the show, and giggle when the characters in the show use their "negative" abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner and I watched the first disc a couple nights ago, and both quite enjoyed it. There's a bit too much religious mumbo jumbo for our tastes, but it didn't detract from the enjoyment. She and I agreed that we were more or less rooting for the cylons, though!

Now that I have a feel for the story and the characters, I already appreciate the game more and I haven't played it again yet.

Seriously, this is a game that many people -- probably even most people -- will appreciate WAY more with a viewing of the series, even just one show. Sure, more hardened gamers may appreciate the mechanics and thus really like the game, but gamers are the exception not the rule, methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.