Subject: New to gaming in Atlanta, need some help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
Hey, I have lived in atlanta about 4 years (got here right before AGF closed, R.I.P.) I have always been into board games, but am now trying to invest money into making it a legit hobby. A couple of things about it though, I don't have many friends into it so I am looking for a group that is good for someone who is new to most games and also for the best game shop around here. Searched the forums, but didn't really know what I was looking for, any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is AGF (Atlanta Game Fest?) If so, is it now defunct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably meant Atlanta Games Factory which was Michael Barnes's store before the whole fiasco went down.

As for gaming, there are a few groups around. Ward still runs the Atlanta Games Fest a few times a year (www.atlantagamefest.com). Also, there are a few Meetup (www.meetup.com) groups that runs events (one at the Loop near spaghetti junction, the other at Alpha Soda in Alpharetta). I've heard of a bunch of local group, but you would be best meeting some of them at the Games Fests or Meetup groups first and getting to know people.

I'm not sure of a good store in the area anymore though. I haven't bought anything in a while and when I do, I use CSL games which is an internet based one but is just north of Atlanta.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
Awesome, just what I was looking for, thanks guys!
If anyone has more tips or anything lemme know =)
Also, I am a big fan of Ameritrash (nothing against Euro games, but I like Am-trash more =P) Is there somewhere in particular I should/should not go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kallio
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small group of friends who game in Marietta. We are mostly into light wargames (hex and counter or plastic bits). I buy most of my games from Dan Ackerman who used to own Sword of the Phoenix and runs a small game business out of his home now. If you are interested, e-mail me at grognard@bellsouth.net.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also http://www.thetowergames.com/ in Lawrenceville. They have a decent selection and run frequent gaming events. I've only purchased from them, so I can't vouch for what kind of turnout they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is (as far as I know) still a group that meets at Mercer University on Thursday nights. I haven't been in a LONG time due to job/personalscheduling conflicts, but am actually going to try to get up there sometime in May. Dr. No's comics and games in Marietta has a pretty decent selection of games (full MSRP, though) and (again, as far as i know... call for details) an open gaming day on sundays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
Very cool, I think I will be getting some games from empire games (www.empireboardgames.com), because of the great deals they have. Looks like I can get started with about 7 games that I want for about 350 total. Also looks like Tower and Dr. No both have board game sundays. Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: Also, I have been going on BrettSpielWelt and other places to try out games before I get them, but it is really hard to figue out the software and play to get an accurate feeling of how it works. What is a good way to try out a game before actually buying it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Watson
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I and others meet every Sunday at the Tower Games in Lawrenceville (about 8 to 12 of us). We also have a meetup group here. We'll be glad to play a game.

There is also the Atlanta Meetup group. They can have up to 35 or 40 people show up.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
I actually just joined both of those the other day, look forward to seeing you around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome to come down to Macon on Friday nights...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
Where in Macon (I have to go down there sometimes anyway)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check us out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3429633

Thumb up