Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: New York Mets fanMicrobadge: University of North Carolina - Chapel HillMicrobadge: New York Knicks fanMicrobadge: New York Rangers fan
Got the first one:

The setup on the card and the rules has one extra Asakura Solider setting up. The countermix is correct at 9 soldiers and Yoshikage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: New York Mets fanMicrobadge: University of North Carolina - Chapel HillMicrobadge: New York Knicks fanMicrobadge: New York Rangers fan
Have some more - I am not sure how is the best way to stay current here...but for the time being, I will just add to this file...

Quote:
1. In the example that continues from page 8 to 9, the last couple sentences repeat the previous sentence and would have the Odo player putting two control markers on one space.
I see that. I will correct it for the errata.

Quote:
2. In 8.3, the last sentence of the first column is wrong. I believe it wants to say that a samurai can target a soldier in an adjacent space and should not be talking about leaders.
Yes indeed. SHould be soldiers.

Quote:
3. 8.3 lists the modifiers to the target value when attempting to seduce a soldier unit. The player aid cards calls them die roll modifiers. I think the aid is wrong.
Yep. I will correct.

Quote:
4. In 10.3 page 13, it tells us that I get +1 for initiative if my units are out of communications or retreating, i.e. it is a very good thing to be OOS. This contradicts what's written on the player aid card. I believe the rules are wrong.
A frustrating mistake there as it is worded backwardly. -1 if you are retreating as well.

Quote:
5. There is a neutrals regroup box on the map. Who is responsible for handling neutral regroups? The rules don't say.
Nothing goes on there until the neutral joins a faction.

Quote:
6. There is a card that causes betrayal of two neutral leaders. Must I get both leaders in diplomatic range to work the card? Can I target just one of the two leaders?
W/i range of either one is fine.

Quote:
7. Are the leader chits functionally identical to the alliance chits?
Yes

Quote:
8. I assume that leaders may seduce soldiers during the same time when they may cause leaders to betray. The rules only address when betrayal cards are played but not when soldiers can be targeted.
Leaders are targeted by cards, soldiers by roll. Yes, you can do both with any leader that has the ability. This is all done in step 3) of the sequence of play (p.6).

Quote:
9. I assume I treat my units who betrayed my enemies just like my original units. If killed, I put them all (stain or not) in my regroup box.
Yes. If they go to your side they are your units in every way.

Quote:
10. Concerning Ashikagi Yoshiaki, he is a neutral samurai who starts in Oda's Kyo and "may do nothing but use his diplomatic ability." How does a neutral coexist with Oda or anti-Oda forces in Kyo? Who controls his neutral diplomatic ability? If he can seduce other units, are his soldiers then neutral too?
As 15.1 addresses, he is a special neutral that is allowed to coexist with Oda in Kyo. He isn't really neutral, he is an anti-oda minor but is treated as a semi-neutral until revealed. He is controlled by anti-oda minors (when that chit is drawn, you can Diplom and move any converted soldiers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
IMPORTANT - there are 8 Tokugawa units and 2 Matsunaga units that are missing their blood mark for betrayal. These need to be put to the side and are not part of the setup of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: In Memoriam: Chad JensenMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: SpaceCorp fanMicrobadge: Wing Leader: Victories 1940–1942Microbadge: PQ-17 fan
This is good to know. I'll print it out. I have not tried to play the game yet, but I found a few very minor errors.

In the siege combat example at the top of page 17 it says "Both sides now determine which soldiers are being lead by ..."

should be "...being led by..."

On card 28 Enryaku-Ji temple set afire! the middle Kanji is missing its overarching radical. Sort of a Japanese "spelling" error.

On the biography cards, "seppuku" is spelled three different ways (two of them incorrect).

These are of course teeny nits and don't affect play at all, just lock them in the vault for the next printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Microbadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Spurs fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: COIN fan
I'm waiting for AMDT and i was wondering if there will be a FAQ if needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, Brian - sorry I missed those things...

Got another clarification - second paragraph in the white box of 8.2...

The Daimyo betraying referred to in the case cannot be one that was promoted via card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
A clarification that was needed by a player on CSW...

Quote:
Can regroup units be added to forces under siege?
No - you can't place regrouped units in spaces under siege under any circumstances
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
First example (field combat):

Quote:
lf the Anti-Oda Faction had a Hideyoshi betrayal card, and if they had a Leader with a Diplomatic Ability in range, Hideyoshi and his 3 troops would convert to that Clan and his Units would be converted. However, as Uesugi has no Diplomatic Ability, only Ashikaga would be able to help here-and if Hideyoshi betrayed. it would have to be to Ashikaga's Clan-thus they would be friendly to Uesugi but not part of the active Alliance, They would be bystanders to the upcoming battle.

How would it be possible for Ashikaga to play the card, as Uesugi is activated, not the anti-Oda minors?
Yeah - I am trying to illustrate something about leader ranges and just mentioning the only way it could be - but missed mentioning the fact that Uesugi is active. Sorry about that...you are correct here. The example is misleading. Ashikaga can't play a card during Uesugi's activation.

Quote:
Second example (seige combat):

As the Asakura/Azai Alliance has no Leaders with a Diplomatic Ability, the only way a betrayal card could be played here would be if Ashikaga is now a Daimyo.

This one I think I understand. This time Oda is the active Alliance, so Ashikaga can react for Azai, right?
Yep. You have this correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
In 8.3 - the mods are not all cumulative. You get the mod for a Samurai or a Daimyo - but you don't get both mods if both are present. The remainder are cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Microbadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: xkcd fanMicrobadge: 02022020 egdaborcimicrobadge 20200202Microbadge: Weird Al Yankovic fanMicrobadge: The sun doesn't want you to publish Katalyka, because it wants to be almost exactly LIKE Katalyka, but it keep it all a secret.
Adam, thanks for bringing these clarifications/errata to BGG as well as CSW.

I know it's a pain for you. But if it weren't for BGG, I would not have bought A Most Dangerous Time OR Warriors of God OR Fire in the Sky NOR would I have pre-ordered two more MMP games (including Angola).

CSW is tolerable for going to look for something on a game you know about, maybe. But it's not nearly as good at bringing new things to your attention IMO as BGG.

Oh and AMDT looks really cool, I will punch the counters and drool over them read the rules tonight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spirit Island Fan - FearMicrobadge: Too Many Bones - Gearlocs Rock!Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: I Read Game Rules on the Toilet
Field combat example - neglect to apply Massed Gunnery to combat roll?
I had a question on the example of play for field combat on page 15. It looks to me like the +2 to combat rolls for playing Massed Gunnery was not applied to Oda's combat rolls. I believe Oda should have hit on a 3+ instead of a 5+. This would have resulted in seven hits instead of five.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
hey Kurt - I am on the road and don't have my copy of the game with me.

I will have a look tomorrow eve and get back to you.

Very sorry for the wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks so much, Wendell. This early period is a little rough on BGG users as I don't want to post documents for errata or clarifications that I can't easily edit.

Please be patient - but both the latest errata and clarifications are on consim in the AMDT game folder header. I can easily edit those so I need to do that over there just for a little while longer.

Please grab those as I think they will be very helpful and feel free to ask any questions that come up in the interim here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
In the Field Combat example that starts on p. 14, the Oda player did not add in the +2 to his fire for the Massed Gunnery. He would hit on a 3-6 and not a 5-6 when lead by a leader or 4-6 for the leaderless Soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: New York 1901 fanMicrobadge: I love all games!Microbadge: Fan of Games Dripping with ThemeMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Thanks for all your help and diligence.
Great game!

-Doug ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Microbadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Spurs fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: COIN fan
Thanks Adam for answering my question! That's what i get for buying a copy of your game! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector

Quote:

wrote:
4. In 10.3 page 13, it tells us that I get +1 for initiative if my units are out of communications or retreating, i.e. it is a very good thing to be OOS. This contradicts what's written on the player aid card. I believe the rules are wrong.
A frustrating mistake there as it is worded backwardly. -1 if you are retreating as well.
Thanks for the clarification. As I started to play a solo learning game last night this was making absolutely no sense. I couldn't figure out the logic of rewarding retreats and OOC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, it was a last second change to ironically make the language less awkward and the meaning was reversed by mistake. While frustrating for me, it is the best sort of mistake to make as it can't possibly be right and it alerts the gamer to either correct on the fly or ask about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McCoy
South Korea
flag msg tools
Microbadge: WW I BuffMicrobadge: Great War at Sea fanMicrobadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: Beer & Pretzels Games fanMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2: Pacific Theater
Our group tried the four player version yesterday. We found it very challenging for the Oda players as they have to co-ordinate very closely. One rule that seemed to trip us up was the provisions of 16.2.7 para (3) which makes it very difficult for the Oda players to assist each other, so we ignored it.

Especially as 16.2.6 seems to point in another direction with leaders taking their own troops can go where they may, but can't pick up new troops in another sphere of influence. Troops dropped off in another sphere of influence then come under the control of that faction.

The idea of non-cooperation as in 16.2.7 between the Oda factions should start happening around turn 10 perhaps. First the Oda factions need something to fight over, and they do have their work cut out for them in the early part of the game.

Any Oda Samurai may drop off Soldiers under his control anywhere
he chooses but he may only pick up Soldiers in his Alliance’s sphere of
control or in Oda’s area.
(1) Soldiers of Clans are always controlled by the player who controls
the Daimyo of the Clan.

(2) If outside a Player’s sphere of control, Soldiers may only be
moved if stacked with an Alliance leader (up to command value–3 for
Samurai, 7 for Daimyo). Leaderless Soldiers within an Alliance’s sphere
may be moved normally

(3) When an Oda Alliance chit is drawn, that player may move any
Units in his sphere of control, any Soldiers within Oda’s area that are
lead by one of his Alliance’s Leaders, and Oda with up to 7 Soldiers. A
Leader within another Sphere may move within that sphere but may
not have any Soldiers with him. Should he have Soldiers with him,
they must be dropped off when entering another sphere of control
(including Kyo or possibly Omi if it is now an Oda area).

One other item was re-grouping with the Tokugawa faction. If the Tokagawa faction does not control any 'Oda' castles that is they only control 'Oda' minor symbol spaces, can they get any Oda troops? Another variation is the Tokugawa faction must conquer a space which becomes an 'Oda' clan castle/space.

Thank you for any response or ideas on this one.

Rob M'cCoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls