Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the good gaming store in Ottawa, near the Rideau Center ? I will be there next week and I want to find some store to see the price and get some games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Fandom II on Laurier, about a 10 minute walk from the Rideau Centre. I don't have the exact address, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot remember the name, but I can recommend one store NOT to go to: an indoor mall store (not in Rideau), located off of Queen? The prices were atrocious, even by FLGS standards. He appeared to be one of those guys would would have a sale going on all the time, which would lower the prices to MSRP. 50-70 bucks for Roll Through the Ages surprise

There's a light game/toy store in Rideau itself, top floor, near the escalators, Miss Tiddlywinks? There is also Fandom, near the Lord Elgin Hotel, which is across the Rideau Canal. There are two game/comic book stores a bit farther away than Fandom, but not more than a 20 minute walk. Can't remember the names, but perhaps a native Ottawian could help a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comic Book Shoppe - Bank St.

Not sure if they have games there, but their other location on Clyde Ave has hundreds of Eurogames and racks of RPGs and miniatures.

There's also a really good game store in Kingston (Bagot St, downtown) called Nexus. Haven't seen anything like it in Ottawa - it only sells BGG type games, Warhammer and D&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
There's a light game/toy store in Rideau itself, top floor, near the escalators, Miss Tiddlywinks?

Miss Tiggywinkle's. Really more oriented towards kids' games (especially Ravensburger) and rethemed mass market titles (*opoly, Simpsons-Hasbro everything), though Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Settlers aren't unheard of. I've even seen Turn the Tide there before.

Kestril wrote:
There is also Fandom, near the Lord Elgin Hotel, which is across the Rideau Canal.

162 Laurier Ave W. Definitely the best bet for someone who wants to stay walking distance from Rideau Centre. Closed Mondays.

Kestril wrote:
There are two game/comic book stores a bit farther away than Fandom, but not more than a 20 minute walk. Can't remember the names, but perhaps a native Ottawian could help a bit more.

The Comic Book Shoppe (228 Bank) is passable though it's their west end store on Clyde that's got a real selection. Thatr's well outside walking distance from downtown though.

Strategy Games (250 Bank) is also (barely) passable - primarily a chess shop with some games. If the original poster is looking for French-language games this is probably the best bet (without crossing over to Gatineau and to stores far more than walking distance away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes mostly french game since my girlfriend doesnt understand english that much.

Thank all for the informations, I will try to go see some of those shop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you're looking for Frnech-language game editions, you really should take a little more time out and go to Mondes & Merveilles in Gatineau ( 592 boulevard Saint-Joseph - just north of Saint-Raymond). STO busses 1, 36, 37, and 38 all run from the Rideau Centre right past Mondes et Merveilles, and 39 gets you within a 2 minute walk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I frequent downtown are (in order of closest to farthest from the Rideau Center):

Fandom II on Laurier. Good selection and will usually order items for you. I've not asked for French versions of games, so I have no idea if they can get any from their distributors.

Comic Book Shop II on Bank. Small selection.

Strategy Games on Bank (a bit south of Comic Book Shop II). Good selection and they carry many French games. Probably your best shot at French games this side of the river. They can take orders as well.

Silver Snail on Bank (still further south -- a few blocks north of Gladstone). Small selection. Sadly, now closed. Too bad, this was my source for comics. I shed a tear each time I pass by.

The one to avoid is the one in the Sparks Street Mall. Very expensive and a small selection. Not surprisingly, games are not their primary source of revenue (they do puzzles and frames, I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
If you're looking for Frnech-language game editions, you really should take a little more time out and go to Mondes & Merveilles in Gatineau ( 592 boulevard Saint-Joseph - just north of Saint-Raymond). STO busses 1, 36, 37, and 38 all run from the Rideau Centre right past Mondes et Merveilles, and 39 gets you within a 2 minute walk.

Yes. They don't have the best prices, but they have the best selection; and both facts are probably related. Huge tracts of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, by the way:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add my recommendation for Fandom ii at Laurier and Metcalfe (right downtown). It's the closest to the Rideau Center.

Actually, I recently went to pretty much *every* store that sells boardgames in Ottawa and Gatineau.

My favorite store is definitely Fandom ii, as it seems that the selection is the best (although I'd say that Toys on Fire has more games - Fandom ii had more that interested me) and the prices are usually as good or even better than at any of the other places (although it's a good idea to call around if you have a single game in mind, as some of the stores offer far better prices on certain games than the other stores do). Two guys work here (on alternating shifts): one is extremely friendly, while the other is a bit rough around the edges (he comes across a bit crusty, but he seems like a nice enough guy!). Their website is at http://www.fandomii.com/ but it only shows you their phone number (no content).

Toys on Fire has a great selection of games as well. Basically, they've got a single aisle (both sides) full of games. The rest of the store has some interesting stuff, too, like a two foot tall Muhammad Ali figure. I've only spoken to one salesperson here, but he was a gamer and knew his stuff. The store is waaaay out of the way, down to the south in a Walmart/big box area in Barrhaven. Their website is at http://toysonfire.ca/

I went to two stores in Gatineau: Mondes and Merveilles (
592 boul Saint-Joseph) and Jomini and Hawk Games (http://canvaseagles.diplomacy.ca/jomini+hawk/index.html, located at 865 Blvd Maloney East). I hope I'm not getting these two confused, but it seemed like Mondes and Merveilles had a pretty big selection, but for some reason, there weren't many games that interested me (I've got weird tastes, though, so you might love it). I had a bit of trouble with speaking French, but the one salesperson spoke English and came over to help me. He was quite friendly. I should mention that both of these stores had groups of people sitting down and playing games together, so they both contribute to the social gaming scene. Jomini and Hawk Games had a very small game selection. It's also quite a way to the east of the city. It's honestly not worth the trip (at least not more than once) if you're not located out that way.

Miss Tiggywinkle's will be of no use to you unless you want a typical mass-market game or Carcasonne.

I've seen Carcasonne and Settlers of Catan at a few different Chapters locations, if I recall correctly.

Strategy Game Store on Bank St. has a relatively small selection of games, and the prices seemed higher than Fandom and Toys on Fire.

There was a comic shop somewhere on Bank a couple blocks from the Strategy Game Store that had a very small selection of games. They *are* a comic shop, though, and had a ton of comics.

There's nothing quite like browsing through a local game shop... it's still cheaper to order online, but I like to support Fandom ii.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DC: Excellent summary post, thanks for posting it.

The one glaring omission in your post is the Clyde Avenue location of The Comic Book Shoppe (1400 Clyde, in the Bleeker Mall - that's at the very south tip of Clyde where it becomes Merivale). While it's the same ownership as the Bank location, they're worlds different when it comes to stocking games. The Clyde location of The Comic Book Shoppe has selection that rivals Fandom II and Toys On Fire. Sometimes very good prices, too (I bought 2 copies of Betrayal at House on the Hill there for $25 apiece).

It also bears mention that Fandom II, The Comic Book Shoppe, and Toys On Fire all give 10% discounts to card-carrying members of the Ottawa or Kanata board game club(s) ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199 ) , and Mondes et Merveilles gives 15%. There's also some sort of rewards program offered by the Hobby Centre, but I'm not clear on the details.

I just bought Pandemic with a 10% discount at Toys on Fire last night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalHead84 wrote:
Yes mostly french game since my girlfriend doesnt understand english that much.

Thank all for the informations, I will try to go see some of those shop

Another place to look for is Multi-zone in Gatineau, Take STO bus #67 or 77 from the Rideau Center to Les Promenades, you'll get to the shopping mall, the door next to Urban something will get you to the store. They have a good selection with reasonable prices (especially if you are buying 3 games).

Another place not far from that shopping mall is [url="http://www.jeux-triboulet.com"]Triboulet[/url], they have mostly French titles and the prices are good there as well.

French titles are still more expensive than English ones, this is what happens when the print run is smaller

Depending on when you are there, Triboulet has game nights on Fridays that runs way past the closing time. You'll meet some gamers there, if you are looking to play.

[quote]I cannot remember the name, but I can recommend one store NOT to go to: an indoor mall store (not in Rideau), located off of Queen? The prices were atrocious, even by FLGS standards. He appeared to be one of those guys would would have a sale going on all the time, which would lower the prices to MSRP. 50-70 bucks for Roll Through the Ages
[/quote]

Well, a good warning: that store was at 240 Sparks, it has now moved to the Esplanades Lauriers it's called Puzzles and Games, I'm still puzzled by they theft price scheme.

[quote]
I went to two stores in Gatineau: Mondes and Merveilles (
592 boul Saint-Joseph) and Jomini and Hawk Games ( http://canvaseagles.diplomacy.ca/jomini+hawk/index.html, located at 865 Blvd Maloney East). I hope I'm not getting these two confused, [/quote]

I don't think that Jomini and Hawk games are still associated with that store. That store sells mostly Magics and collectable. They have some games, but it's no longer a priority for them. All the gamers left a few months before Triboulet opened, as the Magic players took over the boardgame night and the owner choose not to interfeer. He lost most of the boardgames customers at that point.

There is another one, even farther East, called Deck and Dice, but it's not worth the ride, from Ottawa, it's at least 30-40 minutes drive without trafic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, guys,

What a coincidence! I am also travelling to Ottawa next week and this thread has been very useful! Thanks!

I wanted to add that the Canadian Games Convention is going to take place also next week (15-17 May) :)

http://www.cangames.ca/

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@thatmarkguy
Thumbs up for your reply... I had no idea that The Comic Book Shoppe had a Clyde/Merivale location!

If you say that the selection rivals Fandom ii and Toys on Fire, I'm going there tomorrow!

EDIT: I checked it out... wow, what a selection! Tons of games. They had stacks of games that I haven't seen anywhere else before. The prices seemed competitive, too. My visit would have been perfect if it hadn't been for one of the salespeople arguing with friends that "there are no black Canadians, they're all from somewhere else" and "either you're from Canada or you're from Haitia (sic), you can't be Haitian Canadian". shake I thought it was just obnoxious enough that I couldn't stand it anymore and had to leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Quirk
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a big thumbs up to Fandom II and the Clyde Comic Book Shoppe.

Since we've strayed from Rideau stores, I'll complete the list and bring up Wizard's Tower. The Kanata location has a good selection of games, and they'll order in, but their prices are hit and miss. Some of them are decent, and some are way too much. Rarely are there great deals like you can find at the other stores and Ottawa gamers don't get an extra 10% off. For RPG, they use MSRP, so that's OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dufour
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also try this good store in Gatineau. They also have a great website where you can order online. Most of the game are in french, but they have some in english too.
http://www.jeux-triboulet.com/boutique/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

I just arrived home in Germany back from Ottawa.

Once again, big THANK YOU for all of your tips and suggestions. They were very useful.

I visit the three shops in downtown Ottawa. Then at CanGames some of the other shops also were present.

All in all, I spent a great time in Ottwa!! :-)

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally I didn't had enough time to go looking to the shop in Ottawa, so I had to stay in Gatineau, but I went to Jeux Triboulet (as suggested by Patrick Dufour) and it was a really great store with a lot of choice, and the guy who was working at that time was really friendly.
Plus they have a great offer, when you buy for 100$ of game (before taxes) you get a discount of 20% for the next game you buy.
You can even order from their website but to get that offer you need to go get the game at the shop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
It also bears mention that Fandom II, The Comic Book Shoppe, and Toys On Fire all give 10% discounts to card-carrying members of the Ottawa or Kanata board game club(s) ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199 ) , and Mondes et Merveilles gives 15%.

How do we get the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
It also bears mention that Fandom II, The Comic Book Shoppe, and Toys On Fire all give 10% discounts to card-carrying members of the Ottawa or Kanata board game club(s) ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199 ) , and Mondes et Merveilles gives 15%.

How do we get the card?

I believe Mark Loebach (MrZoz) is in charge of the Ottawa group cards (or did that get handed off to Dean / dema0127 ?) and Sheridan Hortness (Rat King 64) is in charge of the Kanata group cards.

If I remember correctly, the Ottawa card costs $6 but waives the $2 Legion fee three times (so it pays for itself in three Wednesday-night-session visits). The Kanata card costs $5, which had at one point been put back into the prize pool for the annual tournament, but I believe is now used to fund kids' gaming events at Cangames.

The Fandom II, Comic Book Shoppe, and Mondes et Merveilles cards get delivered directly to you on game night (the first time you and the cardmeister are at a game night together after you letting them know you want one)... the Toys On Fire one you'd have to pick up at Toys On Fire (they'll have been contacted with your name so they'll have a card with your name on it waiting for you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I guess I'll contact Mark next time we go to the Legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the west end of Ottawa, and can recommend the following:

Games:

a) Downtown: Fandom II on Laurier Avenue. Parking is terrible, but I try to support this store when I can as it's been around forever, and was a reliable source of games even during the fallow period in the 90s. For a long time this seemed like the only well-stocked game store in the city.

b) West (Nepean): The Comic Book Shoppe on Merivale. Well stocked, sells pretty much at MSRP.

c) Even Further West (Kanata): Kobold's Korner on Hazeldean Road. Well stocked, again sells pretty much at MSRP.

Hobby supplies:

a) Hobby Centre (Roydon Road; across from Merivale Costco). Only a few token games, but a great source for paints, brushes, and the like. Primarily a model railroad/plastic model kit store.

b) Hobby House (Montreal Road near Vanier Parkway). No games, but probably the premier source of paints, brushes, and so on. They have their own little parking lot, but when you leave there's a weird maze of one-way streets that always mess me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:

How do we get the card?

I believe Mark Loebach (MrZoz) is in charge of the Ottawa group cards (or did that get handed off to Dean / dema0127 ?) and Sheridan Hortness (Rat King 64) is in charge of the Kanata group cards.

If I remember correctly, the Ottawa card costs $6 but waives the $2 Legion fee three times (so it pays for itself in three Wednesday-night-session visits). The Kanata card costs $5, which had at one point been put back into the prize pool for the annual tournament, but I believe is now used to fund kids' gaming events at Cangames.

The Fandom II, Comic Book Shoppe, and Mondes et Merveilles cards get delivered directly to you on game night (the first time you and the cardmeister are at a game night together after you letting them know you want one)... the Toys On Fire one you'd have to pick up at Toys On Fire (they'll have been contacted with your name so they'll have a card with your name on it waiting for you)

The Ottawa Gaming Group no longer does discount cards, because attending the group is now free of charge. The stores required some sort of fee structure in order to give out the discounts. Also, Mr Zoz has passed the presidency on to me, and we are in a new location - the Legion at 330 Kent St.

Cheers,

The Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t overlook Out of the Box on Robertson (in Bells Corners).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |