$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
240 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Print-and-Play Contest -- Closed! But come look at what people made! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: pnp [+] p&p [+] competition [+] dice [+] read [+] a-voir [+] [View All]
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Print-and-Play Contest - Make a Dice Game! Geekgold to Win!
My entry:

In Connect the Dots: Build and Destroy!, two players earn points by building dice structures, then trying to damage their opponent's structure. The game is a combination of dexterity, strategy, and simultaneous puzzle-solving.

Components:
12 building dice (6 per player)
1 battle die

Object:
Be the first player to reach 100 points

Overview of Rounds:
Each round is played over two phases: a building phase and a destruction phase.

In the building phase, players simultaneously build one of six possible structures by connecting the dots on the dice. Each structure has its own strategic advantage. The first player to finish grabs the battle die from the center of the table. His opponent may then finish his structure, after which the phase is scored.

In the destruction phase, players take turns attacking and defending. The attacker rolls the battle die to determine how he may attack (cannon, catapult, dragon, or sabotage), then attempts to damage his target by flicking, tossing, or dropping the battle die. Points are awarded to both players based on the success of the attack.

Full Rules
Dice

I'd love to get your feedback, so please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Edit: Here's a pattern for the building dice that uses bricks and stone instead of dots and nulls:

A set of completed brick and stone dice:

How to adjust the game for more than two players:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/412588
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cullen
United States
El Mirage
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Question Tom
Quote:

* Pre-score everything before you start cutting out.
* Using a craft knife make all the vertical cuts on a page then make all the horizontal ones.
* Don't worry too much about being accurate with the tabs.
* Use thin card - it's easier to work with and gives better results.
* Kid's paper glue sticks work just fine.
* Pre-fold everything before you start gluing.
* Make and glue a 'tube' first before folding the top and bottom tabs in.

Hey Tom,
I have a couple of questions and am sure many of us could use the help. What do you use to score? What is a glue 'tube'? Also is a craft knife/xacto or scissors easier/better? Oh, and the carcubes do look awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Purge!
mbmbmbmb
@ Jason:

If I can try to answer these questions:

Use either a dead ball point pen, the back of an xacto blade or even an engraver (available at craft and scrapbooking places) to score.

I think a glue tube means to glue the dice from a C shape to an O shape before gluing down the top and bottom.

I use scissors rather than a knife. It's safer. Actually, I lie, I use stainless steel secateurs I found at a garden centre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Dice

A dice version of Lost Cities for two players (with variants for 1-4)

Components
3 custom six-sided dice - $ 5 4 1 3 2 5 4 3 2 1 5 1 1 2 5 4 3
Each player will need a bit of paper and a pen to keep score

New versions of the dice templates - Lost Dice on the left, Keldice on the right

Rules
Choose a starting player. Players alternate taking turns.

On your turn roll the three dice.

You can either play the dice or discard the dice.

If you play, you choose which die to use for the colour, and the other two add together for the value.

For example if you throw 2 4 5 you can count that as Yellow 9, Green 7, or White 6.

Black counts as wild if used as the colour - so on a throw of 1 3 5 you can count that as Red 8, Blue 6, or 4 in any colour.

The $ icon stands for investment. This can be used as the colour, in which case it's wild. If used as one of the value dice, the other value die is simply ignored - so a throw of 2 3 $ counts as a Yellow Investment, a Blue Investment, or 5 in any colour.

You must now note this down (the easiest way is to just write "R Y B G W" at the top of the paper and list any values/investments underneath.

Normal Lost Cities rules apply... you can only write down a number if you haven't previously written down a higher or equal number in that colour/column. The only exception to normal Lost Cities rules is that you can still play Investments in a colour as long as you haven't written down more than two numbers in that colour.

If you cannot legally play on your throw you must instead discard it.

If you choose to or are forced to discard, then your opponent has the choice to use the result that you rolled rather than throwing the dice on their turn.

You also have the option to 'pass' on your turn - you may want to do this right at the end of the game if you think you're more likely to improve your opponents position than your own.

Game Ends
The game ends when each player has rolled the dice 25 times (for these purposes, using an opponent's discard or passing still counts as a roll). Keeping a tally of your discards/passes makes it easy to keep track of how many times you've rolled in total.

Scoring is exactly the same as Lost Cities (a colour/column is worth 0, unless you've got anything in it in which case it's the total of the values in that column - 20. Having one/two/three investments in a colour multiplies that colour's total by 2x/3x/4x. Finally if you have a total of eight or more values/investents in a colour, you get a bonus of +20).

Example of scoring from finished game

Notes
Normal Lost Cities strategies work with a few tweaks. It seems to be worth starting a new colour half way through the game to soak up low values that you roll towards the end? Highest score we've had so far is 58, but I'm sure you could get over 100 with a bit of luck/judgement.

If you fancy playing solo, then I'd advise using 30 rolls rather than 25.

I haven't tried playing with more than 2, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Discards go round the table starting with the player on the active player's left until a player uses it or all players have declined it. If a player uses a discard then they skip their turn. You'll probably need to lower the number of rolls to 20 each.

Keldice
This is a variant which also uses three custom dice (the right-hand column of three dice in the earlier template).

It is based on Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel, thus making it the dice game of the tile game of the board game of the card game.

It uses the same basic mechanics as Lost Dice (i.e. throw three dice, choose which to use as the colour add the other two together for the value). It has the following differences:

Each player rolls the dice twenty times. As with Lost Dice, if you choose not to use your throw then your opponent has the choice of whether to keep the values you rolled, or roll the dice again.

If the two dice chosen for the value have the same bonus symbol, then you get that bonus) - 2VP, wishing stone or extra roll. Extra rolls do not count against your 20 rolls.

Example: You roll 4 5 2. You can count this as Red 7, Blue 6 or 9 in any colour. If you choose to count it as a Blue 6 then you get a wishing stone as the 4 and 2 both have this as the bonus symbol.

Sequences can go either up or down (and it's fine for one of your colours to go up while another goes down). At the end of the game you score 0,-4,-3,2,3,6,10 VP for 0,1,2,3,4,5,6+ values in a colour; and -4,-3,2,3,6,10 for 0,1,2,3,4,5+ wishing stones.

[design note: I dug this out of my big book of unfinished game designs... I last worked on it in February 2001, but could never quite get it to click. In that version, the player rolled normal d6 and coloured dice. The restriction imposed in this contest of not being able to use d6 made me think about how to combine the colours and numbers into one dice. The result is a much better game... This just proves the point that was made in a design thread elsewhere that constraints often help the design process rather than hinder it]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Purge!
mbmbmbmb
I made this dice game for a different thread. I see now, that there's a missing bit in the rules. First the game:

Now the correction:
Rule 5. Roll the fisher die again, and look at the retail price multiplier (1, 2, or 3 gulls). Multiply the wholesale cost of the fish by this multiplier to see how much money you made at the fish market. Did you make a profit?

Game example:

1. You roll the fisher die and you've hired a net fisherman for 10 Euros.

2. 10 Euros. Remember!

3. You roll the fish die and he's caught you some sole.

4. You pay the fisherman 60 Euros for the fish he's caught you.

5. You roll the fisher die again and looking at the retail price multiplier you've doubled your price at the fish market. So you've made 120 Euros at the market.

6. To summarize: You've spent 70 Euros and made 120 Euros, so you've made 50 Euros profit. You, my friend, are on your way!!

Optional Rule:

Flood the Market. Keep track of the type of fish you catch.
If you've sold any fish more than 3 times, the market will automatically only give you the wholesale price for the fish.

Whooo hoo hoo having too much fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another non-entry , This time Spy express which you can download from

http://www.bookranger.co.uk/SpyExpress/SpyExpress.htm

This a game for two players, Try to collect secrets faster than your opponent while doging and defeating guards. There are a few numbers to be tracked on a scratch pad or similar.

This was inspired by the magnificent Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to find out about how to work out the ways to flatten the distribution curve for values in the Lost Cities/Keltis dice game. I've given up and put out a call for help on the Game Design forum.

However, during my internet searches I found some related things which I thought I'd share because a) they're interesting and b) they may actually be useful in designing unusual dice games. I apologise in advance if these are already widely known:

Sicherman Dice: these are 2d6 which have exactly the same range and probabilities as a normal 2d6. However the faces on the dice are numbered 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4 and 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicherman_dice

Nontransitive Dice: these are dice where each die has a greater than 50% chance of beating another dice in the set. E.g. in the set A:4,4,4,4,0,0; B:3,3,3,3,3,3; C:6,6,2,2,2,2; D:5,5,5,1,1,1 each dice has a 2/3 chance of beating the next die in the list, and die D has a 2/3 chance of beating die A.

A pair of dice that never roll a 7: This is a bizarre article prompted by Simon Tatham's annoyance at rolling 7s in the first few turns of Settlers of Catan. It's all a bit mad, but with some interesting ideas which could make for some unusual dice mechanics. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/dice/
(it's also worth checking his collection of Windows puzzle games, some of which are really excellent and not generally availablehttp://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification needed

So some games now require the players to keep track of the current points, by pen and paper (because they specifically ask for a table with different columns)...
I thought rule #2 says that any method of keeping the score should be possible... like collecting matches, coins, twisting a napkin several times, and also marks on paper if so available.

Now is that rule overridden? Because if so, then that would make my second submission to the contest a lot easier.

So, could I ask players to write down some values (stats), and gained equipment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Purge!
mbmbmbmb
@ pidaysock

Um, sure, you can ask your players to keep track of stuff. But you can't insist how they do it.

I hope you're not using my game from another thread, Fish Market, as an example. I just brought the picture over here as is without deleting that table. Besides, mine's not an entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour Race is a game for 2-4 players by Stephen Tavener & Cameron Browne

Components
- 49 terrain dice, 6-sided dice used to construct a board;
- 4 action dice, 6-sided dice used as playing counters.
(Number of terrain dice may change after more playtesting)

Setup
The terrain dice have a solid colour on each side. Roll all the terrain dice, and arrange randomly in a 7x7 square to make the playing area in a 3-4 player game; or 4x12 or 5x9 in a 2-player game.

The action dice have a player-spoecific symbol on each side, eash side has a different colour matching the colours shown on the terrain dice. Each player places their action die in the centre of the side of the board closest to them.

Goal
The aim of the game is to be the first to get your action die to the opposite side of the board.

Movement
A turn consists of one of the following:
(1) Orientation - pick up your action die and put it back on the same space in any orientation you like
(2) Movement; a die can move in one of two ways:
(a) by tipping it over onto an orthogonally adjacent terrain die; the colour on top of the die after the move must match the colour on top of the space it is now standing on
(b) by sliding it to an adjacent space of the same colour
During a single turn, a player can make any number of moves, so long as each is either a legal tip or slide.

If a player can tip/slide a die onto a space occupied by an opponent, that opponent is immobilised until the player moves again (place your action die on top of the opponent's action die).

Colour Race now has its own page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovery now has a game page. Images and files are there now (or will be added shortly). I hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Pegg, Jr., who runs mathpuzzle.com, did some research a while back on various polyhedra that would make fair dice. There are pictures here: http://mathpuzzle.com/Fairdice.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my entry, shiny and new. I've created jpg files of the rule manual and dice templates so that I can put everything in my gallery here on BGG.

Cultivating Favour is a game of dice placement for two players. The game requires 21 custom dice.

The rules:

And the dice templates (all die template files were originally created at 300 dpi, but feel free to print them any size you wish).

The Patron die-

The Landscape Features die-

The Dragon die-

Edit: The game entry for Cultivating Favour is up now, and a pdf of the rules will be available as soon as the file is approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
More pretty dice! I'm making these next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Roberta: That's a beautiful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so... I added my game to the database...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42832

and made a Geek List with other entries.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42608

It would wonderful if other people than the designer add a game to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the entries here are unbelievably awesome looking! I truly am impressed by everyone here. I was planning on putting together an entry and hopefully will finish it in time, but I do not think it will be near what everyone else is presenting.

Just wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Purge!
mbmbmbmb
isawa_mo wrote:
Some of the entries here are unbelievably awesome looking! I truly am impressed by everyone here. I was planning on putting together an entry and hopefully will finish it in time, but I do not think it will be near what everyone else is presenting.

Just wow.

Lucky for you then that "unbelievably awesome looking" is only one of the voting categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thanks to Mike and FNH for the contest. This has really encouraged me get through the design process and finish my game.

So, here's my game:

Nash & Dash

-----------------------------------------------------------
Nash & Dash

Twin brothers Nash and Dash are out for a night on the town.
While waiting for their brother, who works at the local S-Mart,
to return, the two get started on the night's drinking at a
near-by bar.
Much later, fueled by the alcohol and too many late-night zombie movies
(or maybe it has something to do with the book they found at the cabin),
a simple disagreement between them ends up escalating into
a full-blown bar fight, where each is somehow convinced that
the other is an evil, undead copy of themselves.
The fight soon leaves the bar and enters the neighboring S-Mart,
which carries, among other things; chainsaws, shotguns and chairs.

In this game, players assume the roles of Nash and Dash in the
midst of their fight in the local S-Mart. As Nash and Dash, players will use the
available chainsaws, shotguns and chairs to beat each other into submission.
They also have experience in fights and will be able to
influence the fight by using their strength, agility and fighter's sense.

Components of the game
6 white duel dice (these have the chaisaw, shotgun and chair on them)
2 blue strength skill dice (these have the bullseye circles on them)
2 red agility skill dice (these have the double-headed arrow on them)
2 yellow fighter's sense skill dice (these have the curved arrow on them)

Rules of the game

The game is played in rounds, each containing three melees and continues until
one player has scored five points (or whatever they agree on).

The Round:
Each round, both players take three white duel dice and one of each of the
skill dice and roll them simultaneously. Melees are created from the
rolled dice and skills are applied. The round winner is then determined
and points are awarded.

Round sequence:
1) Select a skill die
2) Roll the duel and skill dice
3) Match melees
4) Apply skills
5) Determine melee match winners
4) Score points

Matching Melees:
Starting on one player's left (the other's right) match the duel die
that is furthest to the left after rolling, with the opponent's duel die
that is also furthest to the left. Likewise, the next set of two duel
die that are furthest to the left are matched and the final pair
of duel die become a pair. If there is a question on which die of a pair
of a player's dice is furthest to the left, use the blood spots on the dice
(more blood goes first) or re-roll the pair, opponent's choice. Place these
melee pairs in a line between the players. This shows the three attacks
performed by each player during this round.

Applying Skills:
There are three skills known by Nash and Dash:
Strength: This changes an attack a super attack. A super attack works as a
normal attack with the addition that it also beats a normal attack
of the same type. For example, super chainsaw beats chainsaw.
(Blue Die)
Agility: This allows the player to swap two of their duel dice in the melee
matches.
(Red Die)
Sense: This allows the player to change one duel die to the next weapon
in the progression:
chainsaw->shotgun
shotgun->chair
chair->chainsaw
(Yellow Die)
An icon showing on the skill die indicates it is successful.
Skills must be applied when successful and cannot be ignored, with the
players taking turns.
The person who has lost the most blood (most red dots showing) must apply
a skill first.

Determine Melee Winners:
chainsaw beats chair
chair beats shotgun
shotgun beats chainsaw

Score Points:
The player with the most winning melee matches scores one point.

Why does chair beat shotgun?
1. The chair is held up like a shield to block the shotgun blast, then the
chair is broken over the shotgun user's head.
2. Look no further than any action movie where the hero jumps
behind the couch, which somehow manages to block the villian's bullets.
3. Because somehow paper beats rock.
4. It's my game.
-----------------------------------------------------------

And here's the dice for it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my first entry... at least I hope to finish another couple designs.

This game was obviously inspired both by Diceland and Wings of War games. I hope fans of both games give this quick filler a try. Feedback for improvements is welcome.

If anyone is interested in helping me with plane graphics for specific WW2 nationalities, please let me know! For this version I did graphics for 2 players with a stand-in plane graphic.

Sky Dice
A dodecadogfighting game.

1. Game Info:
Number Players: 2-4
Play Time: Approximately 15-20 minutes.

2. Assembly:
Print, cut, and assemble four dodecahedrons per player to form a squad of fighters. You should print them out at original size so each resulting die is approximately baseball-sized.

Each die has a unique letter (A, below) to disambiguate it from all other planes. It also has an altitude indicator (Low, Medium, or High) on each face:

Links to other planes:

3. Setup:
Select a start player. Players should agree on a means of tracking "hits" and measuring range. We suggest a common score pad listing each plane letter and the number of hits it has taken. Furthermore, the official score-keeping pen or pencil may be used to determine gunfire range. Alternatively, players can track hits with coins placed near the planes and choose a player to be the official range-finder. The range-finder can use the maximum distance between thumbtip and pinkie fingertip when making a Y symbol with their hand, spreading their thumb and pinkie as far apart as possible (about 9").

All dice are then rolled onto the playing surface, where each die is rolled by an opponent of that die. Play now begins with the start player and proceeds clockwise. Players begin taking normal turns, but on the first turn of the game, no guns may be fired; only maneuvering is allowed.

4. Player Turn:
On a player's turn, a player has 4 actions to take, regardless of the number of planes they have remaining. Each action can be spent maneuvering, firing, or two actions may be spent scrambling (scrambling may only be done once per turn).

4.1. Maneuvering
Each maneuvering action consists of moving 1 plane up to 5 times. A plane may not be maneuvered off the table or into another plane (such that the plane, after maneuvering, cannot sit flat on the table).

To move a plane, gently push down on one of the points of the pentagon that face upward to "roll" the plane 1 face in that direction. Obviously, planes can only move forward, so you can only move in the direction of the nose of the plane or "bank" toward one of the two wingtip points of the pentagon. The newly face-up plane now shows where the plane can move next.

As stated, a plane can move up to five times in this way for a single action. A single plane can perform up to 4 maneuvering actions (for 5 moves each) to consume a player's entire turn, if desired.

4.2. Firing
Each firing action consists of having 1 plane fire either or both its left or right guns. Important: A plane can only fire if it has maneuvered this turn! You have to work to line up that target or targets in your sights!

Each plane has two gun arcs, constrained by the wingtip point of the face-up pentagon, the nose point of the pentagon, and the midpoint of the opposite side of the pentagon for that point. See the diagram below:

Each gun hits every opponent plane at the same altitude within the gun arc for 1 point of damage, so long as the upper face of that plane is within the gun arc and within the agreed range. If pointed directly at another plane, it is possible to fire both guns for a single action to inflict 2 points of damage on that plane, if the enemy plane falls within both gun arcs.

If an enemy plane is hit 5 times, it is shot down and removed from the play area. That opponent does not lose any actions, however.

4.3. Scrambling
As mentioned previously, scrambling may only be done once per turn and costs 2 actions. To scramble, a player may pick up and re-roll all dice at a single altitude. For example, if a player has 1 plane at High altitude, 1 at Medium altitude, and 2 at Low altitude, he could scramble both Low altitude planes or 1 of the other planes. He may choose to maneuver the other planes to share the same altitude before scrambling.

The scrambled dice must be rolled toward the center of the dogfighting area. If other planes are jostled, that's okay; just leave them as they lie. Air combat can be chaotic at times. Should an enemy plane be knocked from the play area, its owner should simply re-roll it toward the center of the dogfighting area.

5. Game End:
The game is over when only one player's sky dice remain in play. They are declared the winner. Alternatively, a player may concede defeat at any time.

6. More than Two Players:
If playing with 3 players, simply add another 4 dice for the third player (different colors will be available soon). For 4 players, add another 3 dice and declare allies, or 2 teams of 2 players, with each player controlling 3 planes. First team to eliminate the enemy wins.

7. Suggestions for a Faster Game:
Use a 30-second turn timer; any actions not taken at the end of that time are forfeited. You may also want one turn-timer per player. This variant yields more of the frenetic, mistakes-are-made atmosphere of a true dogfight.

Once a player touches a plane corner to maneuver it, he or she must continue maneuvering in that direction even if the result is undesirable. If such a movement is impossible (would depart the playing surface or runs into another plane, restore the plane to its previous position and inflict 1 hit on the maneuvering plane. If the plane then has 5 hits, it goes down and is removed from the board. The player continues with the actions they have remaining.

Enjoy!

Edit: New plane colors added. Now supports full 4 players.
Edit: There is now a game page for this: Sky Dice. Rules and planes are pending file approval there. Also fixed a couple typos above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
May 16th Kickstarter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osbo - Doesn't the game have to be designed during the contest period?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Researcher in AI and automated game design.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Doesn't the game have to be designed during the contest period?

Didn't see any rules to this effect. If so, I'll remove it.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Purge!
mbmbmbmb
It's by way of: design and post a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmb
My dicegame entry: "Draken Horde"
Draken Horde

In my Boardgamegeek-imagegallery you'll find the dice to print.
Per player, print the Hatching and Peasant dice 4 times each.
Use scissors and some glue to create the dice.

In Draken Horde, each player tries to raise an army of Dragonknights to conquer the opposing town. It's a fast and furious game.

Setup:

TOWN
Place the five Peasant dice showing a pitchfork at your lefthand side. This is your Town where your Peasants (Pitchfork) reside and train to become Knights (Shield).

HATCHERY
Place the five Hatching dice showing an egg at your righthand side. (This is your hatchery, the breeding place for Dragons.) Here lay your dragon Eggs.

WARGROUND
The area in the middle of the table is the fighting ground. Only Dragons, Knights and Dragonknights may enter the Warground

Winning Conditions:
To win, you'll need to kill all opposing Knights, Dragonknights, Dragons, Peasants and Eggs.

Action:
When it is your turn, first resolve combat at the Warground, then roll your dice in the Town and Hatchery for new recruitments.

COMBAT
Total your Battlestrength at the Warground. If your total is higher, you may do damage equal to the difference.

DAMAGE
Remove one dice from the Town or Hatchery from your opponent for each damage. When Town and Hatchery are both empty, remove one Knight or Dragon for each damage.

Battlestrength:
A lone Knight (Shield) has strength = 1.
A lone Dragon (Dragon) has strength = 3.
A Dragonknight* has strength = 5.

(*Combine one Dragon and one Knight to create a Dragonknight.)

RECRUITMENT
After your combat, you may roll all your dice in the Town, if a Shield turns up, place it at the Warground.
After your combat, you may roll all your dice in the Hatchery, if a Dragon turns up, place it at the Warground. If you have a lone Knight, immediately combine it to become a Dragonknight. (Place them next to eachother.)

Enjoy!

http://www.elfwood.com/~tommy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Schmahl
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Here's my entry into this here shindig. It was a fun challenge and surprisingly the idea came readily. The tweaking was the nightmare. You can download the PDF here and I will go ahead and add the text of the rules to tempt you into trying it out. When printing I suggest printing each players cubes on different colored cardstock.

I've spent a bit of time working out the kinks and playtesting but if anyone has any comments I would love to hear them as I know things can always be improved. I've also done what I could graphically and this is as good as it's going to get.

Cubix

Cubix is a three-dimensional game of strategy for two players played by stacking and manipulating cubes in turn until one player exhausts their supply. Win by having the most points for your cubes commanding the top of the stacks after the final round.

COMPONENTS:
17 Cubes in each player color
1 Neutral colored cube

GAMEPLAY:
Each player takes the cubes in their chosen color and sets them aside. The neutral cube is rolled and placed in between the players. First player is then randomly determined.

On a player’s turn two actions may be taken and may consist of any combination of the following: Roll and place a cube; Move a cube already in play. You may pass on any action and lose it for that turn. You must pass if you roll a cube that cannot be placed legally.

PLACEMENT RULES:
Cubes in play must always only have non-similar sides in contact with other cubes (e.g. a spiral contacting a diamond but not a star contacting a star). The game occupies a 4 x 4 grid built during play. If any move would make the playing area more than four spaces wide it cannot be completed.

ROLL AND PLACE A CUBE:
Roll one of your cubes. Keep the resulting top face orientation and place the cube next to or stack on top of cubes already in play. The cube may be rotated freely around its vertical axis before placing it in play. When placing your cube next to other cubes it must be adjacent to at least one cube of your color already in play. When stacking a cube it must be placed on top of one of your in-play cubes; this fulfills the adjacency requirement.

MOVE A CUBE IN PLAY:
You may move one of your cubes in the following ways:

-Slide a cube from one place to another by one space.
-Roll a cube 90 degrees resulting in a move one space adjacent.
-Rotate a cube around the vertical axis by 90 degrees resulting in a move one space adjacent.
-Climb by rotating a cube 180 degrees horizontally and placing it on top of an adjacent cube. You cannot climb more than one level at a time.

If at any time a cube in play is surrounded orthogonally by other cubes on the same level that cube is trapped and may not move in any way unless a subsequent move frees it.

END GAME: The game ends after the turn in which a player places their last cube in play and both players have had an equal number of turns. A player receives points for controlling a column with their cube on the top. 1 point is awarded for stacks two and three levels high while 2 points are awarded for stacks four high and 3 points for one high. The player with the most points wins. Ties go to the player with the most cubes left in their supply.

Download
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.