Subject: game review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor M
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Making the game

So many files so many things to print and cut … will really take your time to make this PnP, game but it is worth of it! You will need a lot of ink.Map is really big but will fit on most of the tables. I strongly reccomannd that you glue units on some cardboard-paper. I m not much into this cutting, printing and so on (I hate it) I would rather buy game than home made it.

Seting up

This take time as well. If you put all the units in same box you will need a century to put it all on map so you will need some nylon bags also.

Game rules

Rules are about 7 pages. I hoped for rules in Croatian language (from designer from my country) but no. Rules are easy to understand (but still there were few questionable situations) and to remember, but some shorten rules file (sheet) would be nice!

Game parts

I like the map because of size and because it is not using hexagons and cards are ok, but I saw this game designer works on deviant art page and I can say he really make great art so he could give as even much better art and it would be nice that there are some illustrations on infantry units instead of just a symbol. Game art is really functional but considering army units I would be much more happy with 3d plastic one or wood made.

Game Play

I m not some big war gamer but this is the best war game I played. Me and my friends played it already for 6 times. 3 Central power wins 3 Entente wins so we think the game is well balanced. Big plus to the game are rules that are easy for those who are not real gamers and still gives you a lot of strategic deep. Making people who never played anything but Monopoly (or some game same boring) to wish to play this game again and again is great! I did not manage this with some other games!
In 6 gaming we played 5 times up to 4 hours and once only less than 1 hour!
Each turn you take event card (almost all are bad one), buy units, buy modernization for units…
After that players move their units, decide where to use their action cards and fight using die.
The moving on map is the most important thing by my view while my friends think modernization and capturing the infantry makes the biggest difference.
You can gain a lot of plus bonuses on number rolled on a die by modernization of units, surround the enemy, having support of planes or generals, attacking in bigger force…
There are two scenarios and I reccomannd if there is about 3 players that wish to play with Central powers to play scenario where there is Italy on their side (because with only Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria you will not have much fun.
Each country has different amount of money different number of units and different number how many infantry units will come out of major city.
Game is about to end when all event cards runs out (happened only twice) in other situations we lost Germany or Russia and France and we admit we lost.
There are many ways to win and I still did not find the formula and I hope it will stay that way.

Overall

The best war game out of 8 I tried so far and maybe the best game after Die Macher that I played! I found new people to play with because of this game!
I see no sense in putting game like this PnP for free??? Why to do so?
The War of the Empires gives a lot of fun and great felling like you are a really a great general! There is a luck in game as much as strategy so those who has no luck avoid this game!
I reccomannd The War of the Empires to those who are not war gamers and would like to play light war game with luck included!

Replayability 9 (Each time all went different way)
Fun 10
Luck 40%
Strategy 60%
Interaction 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Igor,
Thanks for the write up!
Could you upload some images as I am really interested,
thanks!
Harro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Nemet
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I m not sure is it ok to comment review on my game so I will be silent.
But I really hope to see some session post on forum meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sven can you post in the image a picture of the complete map together to have an idea ?
Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Nemet
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did the upload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor M
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@ Bosma I recommend The War of the Empires to those who are not war gamers and you seams like you are a war gamer!?
I think you wont like it much but it is great game to pull (to make them interested) the euro gamer into war games!
well what do you wish me to upload there are all the files aviable for download and you can downloaded all in no time. wish me to photo my cards prints or what?

@ Nemet well maybe someone will write a session, not me I will only review every game made in Croatia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
prot54321 wrote:
If you put all the units in same box you will need a century to put it all on map so you will need some nylon bags also.

Great review and this line really made me laugh. It is so true. I will probably try this game if I like the way the files look, but I will use Axis & Allies pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Grey
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hi All,

As Igor states this game does take some time to print, glue the pieces to card board, and cut them out but it is well worth it! I am playing this like Risk (as I remember it). The set up was easy, Central Powers set up first. Then Allies. I decided that the Central Powers player should get the first action, so they pick an area and either move into it and attack, move number of spaces they desire without attacking anyone, or shoot heavy artillery. If a player attacks a space, heavy artillery shoots not the space first (if the attacker has any in range of defender). Players alternate, Central Powers player picking a move or attack first, then the Allies, until all units have moved and/or shot. As each move or shoot I flip them upside down so I can see they are done for the turn. Sven, am I right with this sequence? If not please correct me.

So far I am almost done with turn one, 1914: Germans have occupied Brussels. Fighting on in the French Voges was limited to artillery duels, about equal damage to each side. Austria occupied Belgrade, Serbian army completly eliminated. Montenegro completely defeated. Fighting on the Austrian Galician front favors the Austrians by a couple of units. The most interesting thing was that East Prussia in Germany was lightly defended; one inf and one art. Russians defended with one inf in each space next E. Prussia. The Russians attacked into E. Prussia and lost all to the German art and inf unit in two rounds! This left the German inf ( which had not moved yet) an opportunity to move two spaces toward Moscow. Next turn the Russian player will be forced to build inf in Moscow, or try to catch this German inf which is in the clear, no Russian inf near it!

It appears that as in many war games when two units attack one and both have a plus one bonus, the side with the single unit is at a great disadvantage; it is easy to lose and be left with no defense in sight. Tannenburg recreated! And, like other area movement games, this games can have a very historical flavor due to the ratio of straiten units on each side. As you state Sven, the number of units in the initial set up are balanced to represent the historical ratios in the real war. I think this game works as well as any game on WW1 I have bought so far (including Balance of Powers) and is very attractive once it is printed and mounted on a cardboard backing (except for the money). I love games with currency represented, it gives the feeling of economies in action. I heartly recommend this game to anyone who is a WW1 buff, or even a eruo gamer.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Nemet
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right with the sequence.
I was happy to read about part of your session! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.