Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an issue with the color of wood pieces that were delivered to us for inclusion in our Steam sets. You'll recall that we were trying to make goods pieces and player pieces unique in color; the delivery included goods colors. That's all I'm going to say about that part of the proceedings.

Even though the pieces are perfectly usable, and there's no reason not to move forward with them, they're not what we wanted and they're not what the rulebook shows. So, we have included a supplemental bag of wood, for the player colors (and the gray goods cubes) that were not in the initial bag of wood. This (and an insert to explain the situation) was preferable to holding up production.

What does this mean to you? It means that first printings of Steam will have 10 sets of player pieces in them. (there might even be an eleventh, but let's go with 10 for now). So, for everyone that was hoping for more player pieces for their expansion maps, or who want have their favorite color regardless of what color the goods cubes are, if you buy early, you'll have more than enough.

A few questions that come to mind that I can answer: ALL of the games (and that means ALL of the languages) will include this extra wood. This is not a pre-order thing; every set that is currently being produced will have this extra wood. There's no guarantee that you get this wood indefinitely (we will fix it for the next run, whenever that may be), but at launch, EVERY game that's out there will have the extra pieces. EVERY game in the short-term will have those pieces.

If you have more questions, I'll try my best to answer them! (Release window is still very very early June, to head off that question now...)

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"When you walk..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update and the heads up! June couldn't get here any sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This is exactly the kind of attention to detail that is necessary to avoid the blue/purple issues that have been consistently plaguing the FRED releases of Railroad Tycoon/Rails of Europe/Age of Steam 3rd Ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'm confused.

1. Are the cubes and cities still red, yellow, blue, grey, and purple?

2. Do the cubes match the city colors well?

3. Are the players' discs still black, green, white, orange, and tan (can't remember if there were to be other colors in the game originally)?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: as I answer this, I'll be using the terms "original bag" (first bag of wood), and "supplemental bag" (second bag). Both bags are included in the first printing Steam box.

Rob in Richmond wrote:

1. Are the cubes and cities still red, yellow, blue, gray, and purple?
Yes. Black goods cubes were originally used in AoS; we are using gray (New Cities are gray). Black cubes are in the original bag; gray are in the supplemental bag. We didn't change the primary goods colors in order to keep backward compatibility, but the goal was to separate out the player colors from goods colors. Blue and purple cubes may still be an issue for some, but the blue and purple cities on the map in Steam use a halo effect on the font to distinguish one from the other.

Rob in Richmond wrote:

I'd like to think we matched them pretty well. We tried to separate the blue and purple as much as we could without losing their intrinsic...well, bluishness and purplishness.

Rob in Richmond wrote:

3. Are the players' discs still black, green, white, orange, and tan (can't remember if there were to be other colors in the game originally)?
What I have to work from is a bag of wood that was assembled for my handwrap copy we used for GTS, so there's one area of question here. That said:
Original bag: Purple, blue, orange, yellow, red, green, white (Where the seventh color came from, I have no clue. Assume you'll get six, and be pleasantly surprised if you get seven.)
Supplemental bag: Brown, natural, black, lt. green (I wouldn't recommend both greens be used together)

Future editions will have orange, green, natural, white, brown and black. (Remember that New City tiles/cubes are gray, not black, so there's no match between goods and player colors.)

I hope that helps!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Note: as I answer this, I'll be using the terms "original bag" (first bag of wood), and "supplemental bag" (second bag). Both bags are included in the first printing Steam box.

Rob in Richmond wrote:

1. Are the cubes and cities still red, yellow, blue, gray, and purple?
Yes. Black goods cubes were originally used in AoS; we are using gray (New Cities are gray). Black cubes are in the original bag; gray are in the supplemental bag. We didn't change the primary goods colors in order to keep backward compatibility, but the goal was to separate out the player colors from goods colors. Blue and purple cubes may still be an issue for some, but the blue and purple cities on the map in Steam use a halo effect on the font to distinguish one from the other.

Rob in Richmond wrote:

I'd like to think we matched them pretty well. We tried to separate the blue and purple as much as we could without losing their intrinsic...well, bluishness and purplishness.

Rob in Richmond wrote:

What I have to work from is a bag of wood that was assembled for my handwrap copy we used for GTS, so there's one area of question here. That said:
Original bag: Purple, blue, orange, yellow, red, green, white (Where the seventh color came from, I have no clue. Assume you'll get six, and be pleasantly surprised if you get seven.)
Supplemental bag: Brown, natural, black, lt. green (I wouldn't recommend both greens be used together)

Future editions will have orange, green, natural, white, brown and black. (Remember that New City tiles/cubes are gray, not black, so there's no match between goods and player colors.)

I hope that helps!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Sounds great Alex. I played whatever version Sisteray had at PrezCon back in February and the colors seemed great there. Glad to hear that hasn't changed.

Thanks again for keeping us up to date.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10-player session report forthcoming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Good to know what's going on with the release.... eagerly waiting to lap it up.... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great way to handle the problem. Much better than expecting me to buy a fix-pack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if Mayfair would only drop their min. pricing agreements with distributors/retailers and I'd in a heart beat buy this edition even though I already own I think the 2nd (or 3rd.. whatever the last one was prior to the this year) edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Now if Mayfair would only drop their min. pricing agreements with distributors/retailers ...
I wish they would too. But even with those agreements, the street preorder price of Steam is still quite a bit cheaper than AoS ($44 vs $60).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Now if Mayfair would only drop their min. pricing agreements with distributors/retailers ...
I wish they would too. But even with those agreements, the street preorder price of Steam is still quite a bit cheaper than AoS ($44 vs $60)
definitely relative... FRED/funagain "min price agreement" for their version is even worse.

But even $44 is hard to justify when one already owns AoS (not the FRED edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"When you walk..."
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
But even $44 is hard to justify when one already owns AoS (not the FRED edition)
Well, you could always sell off your older version. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robcannonsoftware wrote:
Great way to handle the problem. Much better than expecting me to buy a fix-pack!

OUCH -- and FRED Distribution takes another blow to the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it should...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, this explains the rather huge number of colours of wood in my copy then

I seem to have:

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, White, Black, Brown and Natural disks.

and Red, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Black, and Grey cubes.

The cubes seem a good match to the cities and blue and purple are not the same colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"When you walk..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
The cubes seem a good match to the cities and blue and purple are not the same colour.

That's great news! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have put a handy photo in the pictures section of the different colours. It's a bit of a grey day here today so the lighting isn't fantastic but the colours show up just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
There's no guarantee that you get this wood indefinitely ...

If your wood lasts more than 3 hours, please consult your doctor.

Come on, someone had to go there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
I have put a handy photo in the pictures section of the different colours. It's a bit of a grey day here today so the lighting isn't fantastic but the colours show up just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
There's no guarantee that you get this wood indefinitely ...
Anyone know if a 2nd printing has occured yet? I'm looking at a copy in a math trade and the (soon to be) owner doesn't know which printing they are receiving... if there is still only 1 printing then it's a given it has the extra wood...

... however if there has been a 2nd printing any way to tell the 1st printing apart from the 2nd (and possibly later) printings w/out actually opening the shrink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second run is definitely in circulation. You're probably in the hit-or-miss stage for getting extra pieces.

There's no way to tell first from second print run, unless there are two Steam copies on the shelf, and one is noticeably heavier than the other (or if it's a copy of MWTRTG, all of which have bonus pieces...)

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just bought Steam from Leisure Games in the UK and my copy has the bonus pieces, so it looks like they are still working through first printing stock. The purple cubes are very different from the blue cubes, but much closer in colour to the red cubes than I would like them to be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls