United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
For years the WW II squad level infantry genre was owned by one game and one game only with that being Advanced Squad Leader. In recent years a myriad of games have come out in this area. Players now have a variety of choices including Lock 'N Load, Conflict of Heroes and Combat Commander. If this area of wargaming is one you're interested in exploring then Combat Commander is one you should take serious consideration of.

Overview

Combat Commander: Europe is a 2 player WW II tactical combat game at the squad level. Each player has their own card deck unique to the nationality of their units. These nations include Germany, USA and the Soviets in the base game. Through the Mediterranean expansion players will be able to play Italy and other Axis minor allies, Britain and her Commonwealth allies and France. Players can play either pre-made scenarios of which there are 12 included in the game (more are available online and in GMT's in house magazine C3i) as well as a random scenario generator. Game play takes place on a 17"x22" hex map with each hex being 100 feet across.

Components

Component wise Combat Commander is your usual GMT fare. The base game comes with 876 counters, 6 17"x22" mapsheets (each sheet has a different map front and back for a total of 12 different maps), 220 cards (each nation has their own deck of cards) and a variety of player aid cards.

In terms of the counters in this game I think they are a cut above the usual GMT game counters. The counter art was created by Lee Brimicombe-Wood and over all they are excellent work. It's clear when you play this game that Lee and Chad put a great deal of thought into the counters to make them easy to read at a glance. Colors contrast nicely without being garish and the detailing on the figures on the counters is surprisingly detailed. Overall some of the best counters GMT has come out with.

In terms of the cards again we see some excellent work art wise. Mark Simonitch is a wargame artist veteran and it shows. Cards are easy to read with the photos generally very appropriate adding a great touch. The text is very easy to read. A note on the card stock. The card stock is your standard GMT card stock which is to say it's about the same quality as you'll find in games like Magic The Gathering. I myself would have preferred a higher quality card stock such as linen cards but that's just me. With the cards getting a lot of use in this game however you'll want to invest in some card sleeves.

The maps are functional and well designed. No tweezers needed for this game. The hexes are nice and big, giving players plenty of room for the game counters. 17"x22" may not sound like a big map but they are plenty big enough for this game. As you can see in the photo below there is space generally to have all your units in a specific hex laid out individually. Since it's rare for you to ever have more than 3 unit counters in a hex the term "counter stack" is not one you'll be using with Combat Commander.

Mechanics

Combat Commander is sort of a hybrid wargame. By that I mean it has your classic hex and counter type feel to it mixed with a hand management mechanic that creates an excellent fog of war type feel to it. A rather unique feature to the game is each card has a die roll. This may sound odd but basically the cards roll two 6 sided dice for you. Looking at the card sample above you can see this on the bottom of each card. By having the cards roll for you rather than players the game removes some of the luck from the game. No complaints from players about how hot or cold their dice were. Both players have the same numbers in their deck so at the end of a game the luck of the dice statistically evens out.

In general each player has a hand of cards. The number of cards can vary based on the side's nationality. Each player's turn consists of that player playing cards from their hand to instigate actions on the battlefield ranging from movement to firing on their opponent. Players do not alternate playing cards through a series of turns as you see in Card Driven Wargames but rather a player plays his hand until he has no other plays to make. He then refills his hand at the end of his turn with play then going over to his opponent.

Fire in the game is pretty basic in terms of the mechanics. A player totals up the points he has attacking a hex (in this game hexes are attacked rather than specific units). These points will include things like leader bonuses plus bonuses a player may get from cards in his hand. A player then flips a card to create a "die roll" and that is the total for the attack. Their opponent then counts up his defense and flips cards for each unit in that hex to see what the results are for the attack.

The basic mechanics of the game are smooth and combat takes place at a fairly good pace. Things like artillery are handled in a similar fashion as regular infantry attacks just with an added step of determining where your round hits. As in the historic battles themselves artillery can be fickle. More than once I have called in artillery close to my own units only to have it fall on them rather than the enemy. Prudence is always a good thing when it comes to calling in the big guns.

Rulebook

I want to make a special note on the rulebook for Combat Commander and this goes for both Europe and Pacific. Wargames have a reputation for being difficult to learn and part of the reason for that are the rulebooks. I've been wargaming for 30 years and I still feel dread when I look at a 25 or 30 page rulebook. The rulebook for Combat Commander however is one of the best I have ever seen in terms of clarity.

The rulebook itself is 25 pages long but half of that are notes by the designer explaining the rules as you read them. So for example rule 20.3.1 is about targeting and you get two sentences of what the rule is. Below that in a gray box is a designer's note that explains the rule and gives a small clear and concise example. Along with that there are numerous graphic sequence of play examples that allow you to see clearly and easily the rules in action. Lastly the game has an excellent glossary in the back where you can quickly look up rules.

Game Play

A couple of notes on the card play at this point. One of the things I truly love about this game is the card play and how it creates a sort of fog of war effect. One of the historic constants of battles is difficulties with communications. It's one thing to want unit A to move here and do this and quite another to get them to do it when you want or need them to. In Combat Commander what actions you can take is largely dependent on what cards you have in your hand. You may have a lot of movement cards but are short fire cards or visa versa. Some might call this luck, but I don't see it that way. What this does is simulates the difficulty in managing and communicating on the battlefield. Players like a battlefield commander must manage their resources. The key isn't playing your best card every turn but through patience moving your units into position and building a hand so that one a turn you can unleash a series of actions be they movement or firing that combined can be extremely effective.

Scenarios

Like other games of this type Combat Commander is a game of scenarios rather than one big battle in a box. The base game comes with 12 scenarios and other are available through expansions, online and GMT's in house magazine C3i. Players are not limited to these pre-made scenarios however as this game has one of the best random scenario generators I have ever seen. With only about 5 minutes work players can create their own scenarios and truth is some of the best games I have played in Combat Commander have been random scenarios. I know some players who play random scenarios 90% of the time. This truly keeps the game fresh and the not knowing what the scenario will hold for you (more fog of war) makes these random scenarios even more fun.

Expansions

There are currently three expansions for Combat Commander available. Combat Commander: Mediterranean, Combat Commander: Battle Pack #1 – Paratroopers and Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad. A fourth expansion Combat Commander: Battle Pack #3 – Normandy is slated to come out later this year. In addition there is also a stand alone game for the Pacific Theater called Combat Commander: Pacific.

Summery

All told Combat Commander is an excellent choice for any player looking for a squad level infantry game. I prefer it to other games in the genre for several reasons. First it's much less rule intensive than ASL allowing players more time to worry about their tactics and less about the learning curve. At the same time the game has great historic and tactical depth with players facing many choices as they formulate their plans. The pre-made scenarios are all based on actually historic battles while the random scenarios provide and strong feeling of unknown (as it was in reality) since players don't know how a battle will shake out.

Games last typically 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on a variety of factors (in the random scenarios especially the time can greatly vary) and thus makes a really good weeknight wargame.

Overall the support for the series by GMT has been substantial. With 3 expansions now out and another on the way plus it's sister game Combat Commander: Pacific the series has become a centerpiece in the GMT catalog with more to come.

I rate this game a 10

• [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm right there with you, Brian! I LOVE this game! The fog of war and the resulting chaos that ensues make this game a BLAST for me. Looking forward to playing a lot of this one this summer after school lets out...

NICE review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I agree with most of what you have said and I wish more people would
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny you wrote this review when you did; I have been busy reading reviews as I'm trying to decide whether to buy a super-cheap, shrink-wrapped copy of CC:E from someone I know well. Very helpful & I think that may just push me over the edge

Just out of interest; have you already played CCacific & how do you think it compares? Especially for someone new to the CC series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:

Just out of interest; have you already played CCacific & how do you think it compares? Especially for someone new to the CC series?

I'll chime in on this one. Pacific just seems as much harsher and different and the Pacific Theater must have been from the European one.

One of the things I noticed in my plays of CCacific is that I don't discard nearly as much as in E/M. Not sure why that is exactly. This doesn't mean there is the feeling of "total control" by any means but things just seem to fit tighter, if that makes sense. If the way the game mechanics work to give a realistic effect in Europe, I think they do even more so in Pacific.

You can't go wrong getting your hands on all the CC stuff you can! That way in ten years, you won't be like the poor folks trying to track down ASL bits for less than their life's savings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review, but I disagree with this:

Quote:
By having the cards roll for you rather than players the game removes some of the luck from the game. No complaints from players about how hot or cold their dice were. Both players have the same numbers in their deck so at the end of a game the luck of the dice statistically evens out.

That would be true if the cards were *only* used for die rolls, but because the cards are used for everything else too, your rolls will depend on what cards you draw for other purposes. There's nothing to prevent one player from drawing most of his good die rolls into his hand while the other gets his when drawing for rolls.

IMO the only advantage to this system over rolling dice is the way it's used as a game clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
DJ Kuul A wrote:

Quote:
By having the cards roll for you rather than players the game removes some of the luck from the game. No complaints from players about how hot or cold their dice were. Both players have the same numbers in their deck so at the end of a game the luck of the dice statistically evens out.

That would be true if the cards were *only* used for die rolls, but because the cards are used for everything else too, your rolls will depend on what cards you draw for other purposes. There's nothing to prevent one player from drawing most of his good die rolls into his hand while the other gets his when drawing for rolls.

IMO the only advantage to this system over rolling dice is the way it's used as a game clock.

I agree. The reason the cards are tied to DRs is so events can happen more often and without having to reference a chart or memory. So instead of "doubles" meaning this, or "snake eyes" meaning that, it's all just printed on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
DJ Kuul A wrote:

Quote:

I agree. The reason the cards are tied to DRs is so events can happen more often and without having to reference a chart or memory. So instead of "doubles" meaning this, or "snake eyes" meaning that, it's all just printed on the card.

Right, that too! The only advantages are the way it's used as a game clock, event triggers, and an almost fanatical devotion to the pope. And nice red uniforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
The reason the cards are tied to DRs is so events can happen more often and without having to reference a chart or memory. So instead of "doubles" meaning this, or "snake eyes" meaning that, it's all just printed on the card.

A great point! One of the things that trips me up as I'm learning the ASL starter kits is knowing that certain die rolls do things but not remembering what those things are! It's easy in CC!

And this is one of the great advantages of CC over an older game like ASL. Not that one is better than the other (based on personal tastes, etc.) but there are some aesthetic things in CC that simply make the game easier to play: examples being large hexes, most needed information on the cards, etc. (And no, this is not a knock of ASL; but I think there are details about ASL that have been improved by CC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Milnes
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of quick points on the mechanics:
the number of cards you hold is based on the "stance" of your force - attack (6), recon (5), defend (4).
The number of cards you can discard following a pass is based on your nationality, eg (from memory) Germans can discard up to 6, Russians up to 3.

When firing, you take the Fire power of the primary shooter, and add +1 for every other shooter in the linked fire group (then all other bonuses like leaders and cards).

Sorry to be pedentic, but the firing example is one that I got wrong early on. (Thought I was clever and didn't need to re-read the rules for my second and third games shake )

regards

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Expansions

In addition to the expansions listed by the reviewer, there are additional scenarios and maps in C3i, the house magazine of GMT Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Brian, better or worse than Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42?

(although I guess if you rate it a 10 it can't exactly be worse)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mark Simonitch is a wargame artist veteran and it shows. Cards are easy to read with the photos generally very appropriate adding a great touch. The text is very easy to read.

Mark is indeed an extraordinary graphic artist. But I've done the cards for all the CC games.

And thank you for the kind words, Brian. Glad you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

Mark is indeed an extraordinary graphic artist. But I've done the cards for all the CC games.

From the GMT website on the game "CARD ART: Mark Simonitch & Chad Jensen".

The cards are indeed excellent Chad. You do a fantastic job with them in all the games. I wear contact lenses because I'm near sighted. When I wear my contacts at my friend's house where we play the light isn't always the best so at times I have trouble reading cards, especially for card driven wargames. I don't have that trouble with Combat Commander. It's something I have always appreciated.

As to the above question about Europe and Pacific and how they compare. Both are really excellent games and of course being based on the same system they are extremely close. I might give Pacific a slight edge though in my own personal preference. I greatly enjoy the war in the Pacific but there are very few infantry games covering this area and none do it as well as Combat Commander: Pacific. So for me I like Pacific slightly more than Europe but I don't know if that's because the second game benefits from Chad's experience creating the first or just my personal preference.

What's funny in all this is I had mixed feelings about Combat Commander when I first played it. I think I rated it a 6 and I really didn't care if I played it again. Each time I played it the game got better and better for me until now where it's on my top 10 favorites list. A sign of an excellent game in and of itself I think that it can grow on you like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
So for me I like Pacific slightly more than Europe but I don't know if that's because the second game benefits from Chad's experience creating the first or just my personal preference.

This echoes my feelings about it. I think Pacific demonstrates a maturation from E/M; I don't mean to imply there's something wrong with E/M; but I can't put my finger on it...an improvement in the polish of the rules wedded to the theater the game is portraying? I don't think there is anything lacking in E/M. I dunno...I'm trying to say Pacific takes the edge in my preference but not because of anything lacking in the original. I do think that the PTO is simply less known at the tactical level and it piques my interest more.

But the fact of the matter is, there's so much CC goodness in all theaters that I've just gotta have it all! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I also love the game, and am an old ASL grognard.
It should be pointed out, though, that it isn't really a replacement for ASL. The amount of control you get in ASL is far greater, the fog of war far less. I know that the old double 6 will always trump a brilliant battle plan, but that is factorable chaos. In C:C a hopelessly positioned and defeated opponent can suddenly draw three events while his last units are being blown away and lo, magic death reigns down from nowhere. I'm not criticising the system, the game moves at a great pace, is fun and is much more playable than ASL, but it does have a different philiosphical base. It also has a very clean rule set, with gloriously few ambiguities.
For what it's worth the closest successor to ASL for me is Fields of Fire,a seriously good game,with obscurely written and complex rules, just like ASL.
There are a lot of good new WWII games around at the moment, and it's hard to really recommend one of them unless you know what the player likes. Memoir 44 and ToI are very simple slugfests, but the three more complex ones (Combat Commander, Fields of Fire, and Conflict of Heroes) have very different feels. C:C is WWII as per the movies, all heroic charges and snipers and sudden reversals of fortune. FoF is a really good attempt at simulating the command issues involved in getting a company into battle, and has the feel of a military wargame exercise, and CoH seems to be more about player v player competition than theme.
L'embarrass du riches after years of ASL or nothing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
an improvement in the polish of the rules wedded to the theater the game is portraying?

Now that you bring up the rules the rulebook in Europe are excellent I believe but the rules in Pacific are a notch above. They could be the best rules in terms of clarity I have ever read for a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if they only had tanks and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Chad Jensen wrote:

From the GMT website on the game "CARD ART: Mark Simonitch & Chad Jensen".

Yep; Mark did the card backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Now that you bring up the rules the rulebook in Europe are excellent I believe but the rules in Pacific are a notch above. They could be the best rules in terms of clarity I have ever read for a wargame.

QFT. The CC rules, in my opinion, are the gold standard for rules writing. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but I find them to be easy to read, easy to understand, and most importantly, easy to reference (indexes should be mandatory in all wargame rules). Brilliant game Chad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hposner wrote:
In C:C a hopelessly positioned and defeated opponent can suddenly draw three events while his last units are being blown away and lo, magic death reigns down from nowhere.

You know, after 50+ games of this and reading this type of statement many times on this site, I have yet to see this happen. I accept the remote possibility that it could happen, but I seriously doubt that it would happen more than once or twice to a person in their gaming life.

Now, I have seen troops in a hopeless position win. But this has generally been because they had a lead and were able to run the time out and squeak by. I have never seen the events be the cause of a turn-around as is implied here. Generally if you get out of position or are all but defeated, no event will help you enough if you don't have the lead already and if you do, there generally is time for the opponent to overcome a bad event and still crush you.

This game is hardly capricious. There is a skill to arranging your forces and playing such that potential bad luck is mitigated and good luck can be capitalized on. I am still figuring it out, but I don't see game-changing magic death in the games that I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
hposner wrote:
In C:C a hopelessly positioned and defeated opponent can suddenly draw three events while his last units are being blown away and lo, magic death reigns down from nowhere.

You know, after 50+ games of this and reading this type of statement many times on this site, I have yet to see this happen. I accept the remote possibility that it could happen, but I seriously doubt that it would happen more than once or twice to a person in their gaming life.

Now, I have seen troops in a hopeless position win. But this has generally been because they had a lead and were able to run the time out and squeak by. I have never seen the events be the cause of a turn-around as is implied here. Generally if you get out of position or are all but defeated, no event will help you enough if you don't have the lead already and if you do, there generally is time for the opponent to overcome a bad event and still crush you.

This game is hardly capricious. There is a skill to arranging your forces and playing such that potential bad luck is mitigated and good luck can be capitalized on. I am still figuring it out, but I don't see game-changing magic death in the games that I have played.

You have convinced me to try this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Jack, give it three plays... one to learn the system, the second to get familiar with it in more detail, the third (and subsequent play) to really enjoy it. Enjoyment may indeed come sooner.

This was my experience. Have fun!

I decided to go the Conflict of Heroes route and received it as a gift after putting it on my wishlist. Good game, but most of the threads I've read since then indicate I probably should have gone with Combat Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have BOTH games, CoH and CC:E, they're both worth having and playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with polish of Pacific suggested here compared to E/M, should an initiation to the series begin with that one? I'm actually indifferent towards any particular theatre.

Although I have seen the game played, my only experience with any kind of war game is Manoeuvre and Memoir 44. I've read enough about CoH that I definitely won't be getting into that that one.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.