Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: A Gathering of Strangers, Salt Lake City Utah, July 10 & 11 (Board Game Convention) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2009 A Gathering of Strangers is on!

Date: July 10 & 11

Time: 10am to 10pm

Price: $15 per day or $25 for both days

Signup: This can be done in advance, when the website information is posted, or can be done upon arrival at the convention.

EVENTS:

Schedule Link: http://www.gamesforthemind.com/AGOS/Schedule.html

Games to be Played Link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43471

Tournaments: Settlers of Catan, Bridge Troll, Dominion and Race for the Galaxy. Prizes will be awarded!

Contests: The Board Game Designer's Guild of Utah will be holding a game design tournament for its members. Prizes will be awarded!

Murder Mystery: There will be a murder mystery held each night at 7pm. The cost for this event is $10. The information for sign-up on this event will be on the website and will be posted here also. Sign-up in advance will be required.

Giveaways: We will be giving away gift certificates to local game stores and games. This will be done periodically throughout both days of the convention.

Demos: Lock n' Load, Down in Flames, Mustangs, Memoir '44-Overlord and Enemy in Sight. Plus we will have demos by Out of the Box, Fred Distribution and Rio Grande.

Math Trade: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43818
A math trade will be held. Here are the current plans.
Open the trade list: Monday, June 29
Close the trade list: Monday (afternoon), July 6
Want list deadline: Wednesday (afternoon), July 8

Game Library: There will be a game library on-site for use by attendees.

Game Trade Table: There will be a game trade table on-site for use by attendees.

I will post more information as it becomes available.

The last few years have been great and this year will be even better! Come out and play some games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait! Does anyone know if there will be a math trade again this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try and come this year as well. Sounds like a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Crawley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks for the notice. I'll try to be there and bring some friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there! (and hopefully will bring some recruits)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I already know two of the people that have posted in this thread. Seeing as they are not strangers to me, am I still allowed to come?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
I already know two of the people that have posted in this thread. Seeing as they are not strangers to me, am I still allowed to come?
You need to get out more. I know three people on the thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
You need to get out more. I know three people on the thread!

You counted yourself again didn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
There is a Hotel within 100 yards of the "A Gathering of Stranger" conference facility. Rooms are currently $89 per night. If you want to e-mail me to see if we've received a conference discount then fire it to: sales@gamesforthemind.com

Otherwise, if you just want to book your own room, the toll free number for the University Guest House is: 888-416-4075

Cheers,
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has stepped up to host a Math Trade yet, but someone has in years past. If anyone wants to run one speak up.

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following the sparse discussion linked from the main Con website, but only just found this thread. Totally planning to come, and have already got at least 2-3 more people interested in coming. We'll see who else we can get!

I'd be part of a math trade too, if there is one. I've never run one before though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For tournaments, Race for the Galaxy is the first one I'm really interested in right now. If the new Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium is available then, even better! Galaxy Trucker would be another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Billings
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Retired USAF / ANG
badge
http://www.virtualwargamer.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there too!

I have found your schedule page http://www.gamesforthemind.com/AGOS/Schedule.html to be very helpful.

What is the Board Game Designer's Guild Competition each morning?

Are any more events being submitted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Billings
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Retired USAF / ANG
badge
http://www.virtualwargamer.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I cross posted the webpage info onto CONSIMWORLD

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@513.4CVlf94Ecd0.10@.1dd3...

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@513.4CVlf94Ecd0.18@.1dd3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
The Board Game Designer's Guild of Utah submits prototype games to be judged by industry representatives each year. In order to submit a game, all you need to do is become a member of BGDG. It's as simple as showing up to 3 meetings and playing everyone else's games. On your fourth meeting, you are a full fledged member. You'll get access to the BGDG newsgroup for some insider information, you can now have your own game playtested, and you're eligible to submit your game to exclusive BGDG competitions like the one at AGOS.

For more info go to: http://www.bgdg.info/

The first monthly meeting, second Tuesday of the month, is at Game Night Games in Sugarhouse. 7 to 10 pm.

The second monthly meeting, last Thursday of the month, is at Parklane Apts in downtown SLC. All information is available at the bgdg.info website.

Cheers,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:

I'd be part of a math trade too, if there is one. I've never run one before though.

Same here. I've only participated in one and don't really feel qualified to run one myself. Hopefully someone with some experience will want to run one. If not, I imagine there would at least be a trade table set up at the convention?

Quote:
In order to submit a game, all you need to do is become a member of BGDG.

Thats too bad. I have a buddy who was really excited to enter one of his prototypes but joining the guild is not a possibility for him. I myself have wanted to join the guild but find that the 2 weeknight meetings are too difficult to attend. Not complaining, it's just a fact of life. It would be nice though if the competition was open to everyone paying the price of admission. All well, no worries. It looks like from the webpage that the Guild is the party responsible for keeping the convention going this year, for which I am very grateful. Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi Kent,

There's a discussion as of this morning on the Utahgamecon site about someone with the username mcross willing to run the math trade. He's the person who ran it last year, so it sounds like it will be good to go shortly. I'll keep you informed.

Quick point about the guild. I totally understand that the membership commitments are unfeasible for some people. But if you live close enough, there is no requirement on when you have to fulfill the attendance requirement other than it should be in one year. Not everyone can make the two nights a month meeting, so they go to whichever works with their schedule. I hope that helps, and we'll see you at AGOS perhaps even BGDG.

Cheers,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you and thanks for the response and info. For me the problem is that it's on a weeknight in general which I'm just not able to commit an evening too. But thats ok. Hopefully someday soon I'll have more freetime during the week that will allow me to come. Again, I'm not complaining, it's just one of those things. But like I said, it would have been nice if the competition would not have been restricted to members only. My buddy ("fishmountains" here on BGG) has made several good designs and was hoping to enter one in the contest. He lives in Logan and with school and work, attending the BGDG is not really a possibility. Thats all I'm saying. I'm sure you guys have good reasons for doing it that way so I wont bother you about it anymore. Look forward to seeing everyone at the Gathering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Math trade
I posted over on the game con website, but Tuttleboy just clued me in to the thread here.

I ran the math trade the past two years and thought it went very well. We had about 30 trades both times. I would be happy to run one again this year, unless someone else is dying to do it.

Here are my thoughts for a timetable:

That should give everyone enough time to contact their trade partners before the con starts on Friday. Let me know what everyone thinks. It would be easy to open the list earlier, but I don't want people to feel like it's dragging.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about math trades. Here's a great primer on how they work: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555

They are easy to be a part of and can be a lot of fun. They really are the best way to make trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcross wrote:
IHere are my thoughts for a timetable:

That should give everyone enough time to contact their trade partners before the con starts on Friday. Let me know what everyone thinks. It would be easy to open the list earlier, but I don't want people to feel like it's dragging.

Perfect, Mike. Post a link to the list once you get it open and I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are all you people? I've never met any of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denee Tyler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count Mark and me in for the math trade. We buy games all year, hoping to trade them at AGOS. Really.

We are so glad that this is happening this year after all since we missed last year due to a family reunion in California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as an FYI, we now have the tickets printed up and ready for sale at Game Night Games. If you purchased admission either before the tickets were printed or via the utahgamecon website, we should have tickets for you there at the door (each ticket has a coupon on it to GNG that's good through the two days the convention is happening).

See you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okelberry
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchasing my tickets (finally) today.

Games I'm hoping to learn this year:
* Small World
* Pandemic
* Dominion
* Ghost Stories
* Zoolooretto
* Agricola
* Through the Ages

Would love to participate in a tourney or two. In terms of games I know and think might be fun to have a tournament, I'm thinking:
* Settlers of Catan (classic tourney time)
* Tikal (one of my faves even though I'm not great at it)
* Puerto Rico
* Ticket to Ride
* Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Neves
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions:

1) When is the final date for discounted ticket prices (online and/or Game Night Games)?

2) Should someone create a thread/geeklist of games people want to run/play?

Thanks, and looking forward to it (I was moving the weekend of the 2008 Con, sadly)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.