Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently in Munich. As much as I was hoping, there aren't boardgames growing from the trees:

Instead, they are in the shops!

Here are pictures from one of the department stores in the kids section. They had a sale going on the small-box games like the Settlers Dice Game and Ubongo Extreme (about 4 euros each). Normal prices were 20-35 Euros for the big-box designer games.

(many of those Queen games were marked down to 10 Euros)

Here are pictures from Obletter, a really neat game/hobby shop:

You can see all the pictures in their drool-worthy 4 mp glory along with other touristy Munich shots on my Flickr feed, Munich Day 2, at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snicholson/

(I bought Das Schwarm for 15 Euros on sale. I plan to return and buy Fauna, Verflixt Kompakt, Blox, Der Golden Stadt, Fladder Adatsch, and Volle Wolle at normal prices just before leaving.)

Oh! And here's a great beer-and-pretzel game I played - http://www.flickr.com/photos/snicholson/3528365791/

Edit - Head on further down the thread to see my second trip and purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pictures from Munich game shops
Wow, I wish I lived near a store like that.

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Now I must travel to Munich.

Can you give addresses for the shops you find for us yanks who might follow in your footsteps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

Can you give addresses for the shops you find for us yanks who might follow in your footsteps?
When I return to the shops to do my heavy-duty buying, I'll collect more details. Today, was a scouting mission, where I made note of what interested me and did research on BGG to decide what to get.

(note - see further down in this thread for directions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need new pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I need new pants.
Well, I did go shopping for Lederhosen today, but 200 euros for a joke for a BGWS intro wasn't quite worth it.

(now if someone really wants to see me in Lederhosen, drop 200 euros into my paypal account in the next day or two, and I'll make it happen!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pictures from Munich game shopping
Game Shop Pron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was Shogun 10 euro? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

Those will be games in German (ones that have language-dependent items) though! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
snicholson wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
I need new pants.
Well, I did go shopping for Lederhosen today, but 200 euros for a joke for a BGWS intro wasn't quite worth it.

(now if someone really wants to see me in Lederhosen, drop 200 euros into my paypal account in the next day or two, and I'll make it happen!)
I might give 1 euro not to see you in lederhosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a huge freaking pretzel Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

I'm going to be in Munich this weekend with my wife Katherine (you played PoF at the GoF with her). Any chance you can send me the address for Obletter? I assume the other pictures were from Kardstadt or Galleria.

Tom McCorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obletter is at Karlsplatz in central Munich. Stachus S-Bahn Station. It's near one end of the big touristy walking/shopping zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmccorry wrote:
Scott,

I'm going to be in Munich this weekend with my wife Katherine (you played PoF at the GoF with her). Any chance you can send me the address for Obletter? I assume the other pictures were from Kardstadt or Galleria.

Tom McCorry

Warning - neither is open Sunday!

Go to Karlsplatz - the U-Bahn or S-Bahn takes you there. Both stores were there.

Galeria Kaufhof was the department store - I think it was on the 3rd floor, but it's in the kids section. http://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/sales/coco/co_filialen_011_bay... The basement of Kaufhof is an amazing grocery store worth the visit.

Obletter is in the same square, but across the street. Go down the escalator for the good stuff. (You can also exit on this side from the U-Bahn, and we used it to cross the square). Find McDonalds. Obletter is two stores away. http://www.shops-muenchen.de/strasse/muenchen/e-l/k/innensta...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we need a games shop stalker microbadge.

I would try to look for pure breed gameshops. The big department stores normally only have the mainstream family games from big publishers. They sell Settlers, Carcassonne, a lot of games based on books or movies and then the normal bunch of family games. Our Karstadt here has Agricola, but it is hidden on the bottom of one shelf. But you won't find Galaxy Trucker, Caylus.
The good game shops are normally not in the city center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
I would try to look for pure breed gameshops. The big department stores normally only have the mainstream family games from big publishers. They sell Settlers, Carcassonne, a lot of games based on books or movies and then the normal bunch of family games. Our Karstadt here has Agricola, but it is hidden on the bottom of one shelf. But you won't find Galaxy Trucker, Caylus.
You are lucky, on my trips round stores like that in the UK, all I can see are endless versions of Monopoly and hundreds of DVD trivia games - some toy shops I went into at Christmas has literally nothing in their games section apart from these DVD based games. Good think I can buy online!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
I think we need a games shop stalker microbadge.

The good game shops are normally not in the city center.

I think if I saw Agricola "hidden on the bottom of one shelf" in Walmart or Target here in the US, I'd have to enlist my fellow BGGers' help in scraping my jaw off the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:

You are lucky, on my trips round stores like that in the UK, all I can see are endless versions of Monopoly and hundreds of DVD trivia games - some toy shops I went into at Christmas has literally nothing in their games section apart from these DVD based games. Good think I can buy online!
OK, compared to this the department stores may look nice. But go into a real games shop and it is a paradise. Normally you can open a demo box of each game and look at the components or read the rules. And as much as i like to buy there, they are very expensive. So, normally i buy only small games there. The big boxes are ordered online where i can save easily up to 20%.

Here is a list of games shops. Don't know if it is up-to-date. But there are three in Munich. http://www.spielpalast.de/www/laeden.htm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

Obletter is in the same square, but across the street.

I've been there! I'd forgotten but I went to Munich in 2001 and found the same stores. Back then Obletter seemed like a paradise to me, walls and walls of German games. How could you ever leave?

Munich has 6 or 7 game clubs as well, around the city.

Sadly, apart from the main tourist drag, I found Munich to be just a wee bit... dull. Boring even. Nice, yes, exciting, no. 7 days was too long for me, you can do Munich in 3.

I went to the top of the Rathaus and got some great panoramic views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info.

Between work and Essen Spiel I usually get to Germany two or three times a year. This trip is a little different in that we are doing a weekend "mileage run". A combination of low fares ($350 r/t), a whole set of mileage bonuses (including extra Elite miles) that United was offering, and having never been to Munich made the trip worthwhile.

The opportunity to get some game shopping in on the side is just an added bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tmccorry wrote:
The opportunity to get some game shopping in on the side is just an added bonus.
Yeah, right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
You, sir, are playing the best beer and pretzel game in existence. I was just in Munich last summer. I loved every second. Which is your favorite brew house? My favorite by far was Augustiner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

Or you could come to Calgary. Here's a small part of my local store, the Sentry Box:

The euro games are on the lower-left. The section you can see in this photo is about 1/8 of the regular boardgames. Wargames have their own floor. They carry pretty much every in-print designer, Ameritrash, and wargame published in the North America, and a lot of out-of-print stuff.

So yeah, I'm pretty fortunate. Hop in my car for 10 minutes and I can look at and buy pretty much any game mentioned on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up (hopefully not to late..)

Just about any of the large department stores in the fussgangerzone will have a good games section (and legos as well if you like them). Obletter is awesome, and their staff are very knowledgable. There is another great game store across the street from Obletter. Alas, the name is escaping me. It's mainly a model train store, and it is right across Karlsplatz strasse (the main street between Kaufhof and Obletter). Coming out of Kaufhof, and looking towards Obletter, you would make a right and travel down Karlsplatz strasse about a half a block.

This would also bring you within a block of my favorite doner (sort of a gyro with Turkey or chicken) stand. Yum!

If you are traveling to Frankfurt or other towns, I can also recommend great game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. This thread brings back such good memories ...

http://bgg.cc/geeklist/22107
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
That's a huge freaking pretzel Scott!

OMG....I'm sooooooo in love, add a bottle of mustard to the photo and it could be heaven for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |