Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Grossbeeren
Bertrand's IV Corps comes in column of march and confronts Tauentzn's scattered IV Corps at Blankenfelde. Bertrand thankfully has the services of an improved staff, including artillery experts. He is a little faster than usual and by 11:00am he has fought his way into Blankefelde. The good news is that extra troops from Oudinot's XII Corps are expected, but bad weather has conspired against them, while the Coalition is being more heavily reinforced. Nonetheless, Bertrand gains the advantage and by noon he controls Blankenfelde, but proceeds to call upon more troops from the rear. He is now advancing west towards the sound of the guns carried by an eastern wind.

Reyneir's VII Corps approached the key city of Grossbeeren a little more cautiously, but the combat was fierce and by noon both sides were taking heavy losses. Eventually the Prussian III Corps, under the competent Bulow, started to gain an advantage and pressed it, but by 1:00pm Oudinot was on his way and if he arrived promptly the odds would be tipped in Reyneir's favor. Mysteriously though, Oudinot moves his forces further west, away from the battle and the point of decision. Reyneir's only hope is if Bertrand can brush away the remnants of the Prussian IV Corps in Diedersdorf, but initial attempts fail.

By 3:00pm Reynair has been driven to Genshagen just as Bertrand is pushing through Diedersdorf. Exhaustion takes over and each side pauses to rest and reform. 5:00pm sees the fighting resume, with Bulow driving Reynair from Genshagen into the Elsbruch Marsh, but Diedersdorf is cleared; unfortunately Grossbeeren is now heavily defended and the chance might be gone. Bertrand presses west, while Tauentzn, lost and wandering since the destruction of his corps, is captured by Italian troops. Just as Bertrand is attacking the French III Cavalry Corps is coming from the south and victory might be won as twilight arrives. At the same time Bulow is cutting up Reynair's hapless corps, but he fumbles the attack and losses are considerable.

At the last minute Bertrand loses his nerve and the full attack is never launched. The battle ends with both sides failing to achieve the crushing results that were possible only hours ago.

Losses
French Empire: 6,600 infantry, 500 cavalry, 24 cannon.
Coalition: 9,400 infantry, 1,500 cavalry, 24 cannon.
French MVP: 12th Division, Bertrand's IV Corps
Coalition MVP: Bulow

Victory Points
-3 French, +2 Coalition: Coalition Tactical Victory

Conclusion
In spite of the destruction of IV Corps, the Coalition held on and forced the French to commit many forces. The cards were the deciding factor, as Oudinot was turned away at a crucial time. Without his turn to the west, I have no doubt Berlin would have fallen.

Katzbach
Lauriston's V Corps became scattered as it knocked into the Russian forces under Langeron while MacDonlad moved his XI Corps into Weinberg to the north. Korff's Russian cavalry is just arriving at Herrmannsdorf.

Langeron fails to spring a trap upon Lauriston, so Blucher comes to put a fire under him and get him moving. Fortunately Lauriston has failed to get his formation adjusted. Yorck, commanding I Corps, is left to conduct his advance on MacDonald, but he hesitates in his advance. 11:00 am sees Blucher order Langeron forward, overruning part of V Corps, but the advance is stopped at noon as the French stand their ground in the downpour that settles over the battlefield. Bad news arrives; the vanguard of III Corps is lost on the road and will not arrive. The French situation is getting more desperate by the hour. Lauriston is barely holding out, but to the north Yorck's attack is a stunning failure and his cavalry and the Cossacks under Wasilchikow suffer tremendous losses. I Corps is still operative, but very much in disarray. The entire northern Coalition drive is stalled until the troops can reform and realign. MacDonald cannot for now capitalize on his success; he is still outnumbered. Also with Lauriston being forced back, MacDonald's rear is in danger.

At 2:00pm III Corps arrives, with the crack 39th Division joining the force. However, 39th Division takes a wrong turn and fails to join the initial thrust into the Katzbach battlefield. However, the fighting enters a lull, and both sides pause to reform and prepare for the final act. Sacken is ill and his small corps makes no move until Blucher, who has come to oversee Yorck's failed effort, forces them forward towards Gossendau. MacDonald falls into lethargy brought on by stomach pains. His men will not move for sometime. Sebastiani arrives with the rest of the II Cavalry Corps, pushing to MacDonald's aid just as the fighting resumes...

Lauriston counterattacks and is repulsed, but at much cost to the Russians. Meanwhile III Corps, led by Souham, drives on Blucher's right flank, held by the cavalry under Wasilchikow, scattering it as it tries to stop the advance. Just as the French are on the move, a thunderstrom breaks out and drenches the area. Souham dallies and MacDonald is awaken from his stupor and rides off to ensure that his attack is pressed home. The thunderstorm persists and the advance becomes stuck in the mud. Blucher orders a cavalry charge to stem the tide, but it ends in slaughter. In the pouring rain that turns twilight to darkness, MacDonald hurtles III Corps and II Cavalry Corps at Sacken and Yorck's men. The results are...

Much of the coalition line is overrun and Klein-Tinz is occupied!

Losses
French Empire: 6,000 infantry, 500 cavalry, 60 cannon.
Coalition: 10,800 infantry, 8,700 cavalry, 120 cannon.
French MVP: XI Corps
Coalition MVP: Korff's I Cavalry Corps

Victory Points
38 French, 16 Coalition: French Strategic Victory

Conclusion
Gross Janowitz, Weinberg, and Klein-Tinz were in French hands and the Coalition held Schlaupe and Herrmannsdorf. However, Coalition losses were horrendous and four corps were demoralized by battle's end. Blucher's defeat might very well cancel out the French frustration at Grossbeeren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
gittes,

Another well written write-up and intresting results/conclusions. Was this a solo play? Game summary states about an hour to play - did this hold true? Also 48 pages of rules!gulp How would you rate the complexity of this game?

Yes this was a solo play to learn the rules.

Complexity actually isn't too bad, espcially if you've played anything from the DAYS and NLB systems. Rules are clear and flow very well and do not get very silly. Then again, I just find every medium-low complexity Zucker game very easy to digest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Outstanding reports. The narrative feel to these games is great as-is, and the card enhanced NLB overlay in Four Lost Battles only adds to it. Katzbach can be a tough one on the French, perhaps the toughest, so it was fun to read about their victory. Thanks for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Outstanding reports. The narrative feel to these games is great as-is, and the card enhanced NLB overlay in Four Lost Battles only adds to it. Katzbach can be a tough one on the French, perhaps the toughest, so it was fun to read about their victory. Thanks for posting.

I wasn't expecting much in Katzbach, but the French held firm and raised hell on Yorck and the cavalry. Some of it was dice, some of it was a few minor Coalition mistakes that built up. Grossbeeren was very much the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
RescueDeacon1 wrote:
gittes,

Another well written write-up and intresting results/conclusions. Was this a solo play? Game summary states about an hour to play - did this hold true? Also 48 pages of rules!gulp How would you rate the complexity of this game?

There are only 30 pages of rules, not 48.

Also, not all rules pages are created equal. OSG uses only two columns per page, and larger font size to boot. I recently took a look at the “28” pages of rules for "A most Dangerous Time" by MMP: 3 columns per page, and a font size that looks almost 50% smaller than what you will find in most OSG games. Also, those 30 pages include the intro, a glossary, and a definitions sections. As to the rules themselves, they are clear and flow well.

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.