Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to go to Minnesota and visit Mall Of America......is there any good game shops in the Mall?

please reply, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps? It's been too long for me. Quick searches reveal....

http://www.mallofamerica.com/about_moa_tenant_profile_object...
http://www.gamesbyjames.com/

There's Hasbro... and Killer Bunnies Huh, do see Settlers

Whatever you do, please... for fraks sake.... REMEMBER WHERE YOU PARK YOUR CAR !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a Games by James on the 2nd floor.

It has a decent Euro selection, prices are MSRP.

It doesn't have a play space or anything, just retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Collier
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
There are two shops that sell games in MOA, Games by James and Air Traffic. These two shops, however, pale in comparison to other shops around town, the most prominent being The Source: http://www.sourcecandg.com/. The Source is about 15 minutes north of MOA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
reillocam wrote:
There are two shops that sell games in MOA, Games by James and Air Traffic. These two shops, however, pale in comparison to other shops around town, the most prominent being The Source: http://www.sourcecandg.com/. The Source is about 15 minutes north of MOA.

The Source is definitely the place to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source is the best place to go. Lots of games and I nabbed a copy of Age of Steam when I was there earlier this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's still there, but if it is, you should ride on the Snoopy Coaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snoopy and the gang are now gone. Park has been rethemed with Nickelodeon characters. The ride may still be there, just called something else, it's been awhile since we were there so I don't recall.

Games by James was decent if I remember correctly, not alot of space inside though, better than you usual store chain but maybe not if you are looking for those rare games. I don't recall Air Traffic as having much by way of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always felt it was one of the better Game by James stores I visited. But yeah, like has been repeated several times here, do yourself a favor and go to The Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Not sure if it's still there, but if it is, you should ride on the Snoopy Coaster.

The new Spongebob coaster is pretty cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jefftang wrote:
Snoopy and the gang are now gone. Park has been rethemed with Nickelodeon characters. The ride may still be there, just called something else, it's been awhile since we were there so I don't recall.

The mall was stupid to get rid of the Peanuts theme. Everybody loves Peanuts, even serial killers! Peanuts is an american institution, just like grandmothers, apple pie, and baby kittens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reillocam wrote:

15 min may be a bit generous. depends on the time of day. Twin Cities has one of the worst congestion during rush hour(s)
Not to mention all the construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The mall was stupid to get rid of the Peanuts theme. Everybody loves Peanuts, even serial killers! Peanuts is an american institution, just like grandmothers, apple pie, and baby kittens!

Yeah, bad outcome -- especially since Charles Schulz was from St. Paul, and Charlie Brown was modeled after a kid he knew in Minneapolis. The Twin Cities are indeed Peanuts country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful when driving on the bridges there....I hear they have questionable engineering standards and or tons of pigeons. (early reports: it may have been pigeon droppings that destroyed the bridge)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reillocam wrote:

It is a bit more than 15 minutes but they have a HUGE selection of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
Be careful when driving on the bridges there....I hear they have questionable engineering standards and or tons of pigeons. (early reports: it may have been pigeon droppings that destroyed the bridge)

they're about as safe as tunnels in massachusetts
As much as I liked the peanuts theme i have to say that the nickelodeon theme works well for the park as well. especially for families with young children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got me,...It is a rush everytime one goes through those devious tunnels.

kuocal wrote:
vinniebrasco wrote:

they're about as safe as tunnels in massachusetts ;)
As much as I liked the peanuts theme i have to say that the nickelodeon theme works well for the park as well. especially for families with young children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kuocal wrote:

Yeah, but everybody loves Peanuts (not just small kids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Nickelodeon theme will actually help them in the long run. Kids these days are more aware of the new characters than the characters from years ago. Ask kids to name characters and few will be able to name the Peanuts gang. Of course, for some, they don't care, if they are on vacation or visiting, different name but still the same ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the MOA really doesn't have much for Games. Games By James is your best bet (3rd floor, not second), but it won't have anything major outside of Carcassone and FFG games. Air Traffic mainly caters to frisbee golf and kites... not too may games.

The Source is simply the best game shop I've been to by a long shot. I travel a lot and try to visit local shops where ever I go... I always long to be back home after I find them. If you have a rental car, The Source really isn't too far out of the way (though it might feel like it) and is located down there street from a nice suburban area called Roseville. If you're a Magic player, check out Monster's Den which is only a couple of miles North up the street from the MOA. The Roseville mall has two game shops inside, but nothing the scope of The Source. To give you an idea... it's the FLGS homebase of FFG, Atlas Games, and Venture Retail which is the rep of both at non-GenCon conventions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:

Which is why early reports are dumb. It was poor original design - the gusset plates were half the thickness they should have been.

Burnham wrote:
The mall was stupid to get rid of the Peanuts theme.

It wasn't the mall's idea. Knott's wanted more money, both directly to them and in marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jeremyffg wrote:
It wasn't the mall's idea. Knott's wanted more money, both directly to them and in marketing.

I could swear it was something dumb like they forgot to renew their license. At least that's the rumor I heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both of Jeremy's claims. I once worked in the mall, and I was also five minutes from crossing the bridge before it happened. There was all this construction equipment on the bridge and traffic was pushed to one lane. The old crappy design just couldn't handle it. Needless to say, I had to find a new way home that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls