Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game a week ago and when I opened the box, boy was I disappointed by the polystyrene support blocks. Given that the going price for the expansion in Australia is of the order of A$90 (roughly US$70 or Euro 50), this felt more than a bit like a rip-off. Before anyone asks, this insane level of mark up is typical here and postage brings international orders up to a similar level.

The blocks should have been wooden, everything else in PitchCar is very well made and seemingly little expense or effort has been spared. Polystyrene? Bah!

I decided that I needed to make wooden blocks. A quick trip to one of the nearby hardware stores resulted in me walking out with a length of pine 90mm x 90mm x 1800mm for A$28. Once home, some quick cutting and thicknessing in the garage and I've got some solid pine blocks that are a fitting addition to the expansion. I used a bit less than a third of the timber to make one set, so for about 10% of the expansion's retail price, I've fixed the problem and I'm paying full retail price for the timber -- wholesale would be a lot cheaper.

A photograph of the result:

Despite the appearance in the photograph, the blocks are the same size (to within about a tenth of a millimeter or two).

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
San Nicolás de los Arroyos, Bs.As., AR
badge
San Nicolás de los Arroyos, Bs.As., AR
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the width of both big and small pillars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.