Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are traveling from Minneapolis (home of FFG and Atlas Gmaes), and we want to see what the best game shops in AZ are like! We'll be spending most of our time in Sedona/Flagstaff... but will be looking to kill some time in Phoenix as well (specifically northside, where we are staying for a couple of nights). Any suggestions? I am a big Magic player and am always looking for good deals... but awesome Eurogame selection is always appreciated!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really help with the north side of Phoenix, but on the south east side there's the Gamer's Inn in Mesa and the Game Depot in Tempe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schraml
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knightz in metrocenter mall has a pretty good magic/eurogame selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schraml wrote:
Game Knightz in metrocenter mall has a pretty good magic/eurogame selection.

Awesome! We're staying just up the road! Thanks! Also, if I have the ability and/or time, I'll have to check out the others.

Anyone have any interesting places to hit while in Sedona or Flag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
North side of Phoenix, north of Metrocenter? Not exactly gaming, but I would never turn down a chance to eat at Chino Bandido (http://www.chinobandido.com/). Mexican, Chinese, Caribbean all mixed together, there's a menu and ordering help on that site. Used to be that if you mentioned that you were new they'd line up a slew of samples but it's been a while since I was new there.

Exit Greenway off I17, go east, first light is 19th Ave, it's in a strip mall on the NW corner.

Double #9, JFR, Black beans for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My wife and I are traveling from Minneapolis...

And just so you don't freak out, that bright ball of light traveling slowly from east to west is called "the sun".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually we were in the 70s this week. Indoors... All from our rustic log cabin fireplaces and heat provided from our space aged bear skins.

But what about if I see multiple suns in the sky? Is that them there Phoenix lights they talk of?

Also, thanks for the food suggestion! Looks amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input! I'm in Flag now until Sunday, and though I didn't make it to Game Depot as of yet, there is still a chance when I swing back through on the way out of state. I did check out Game Knights while I was briefly in Phoenix (I was staying on the north side), which had an excellent selection (but dreadful layout). They had several out of print games I was surprised to see! I also thought Bookman's was very cool, and have checked out two of them with little success. But I saw New England and a couple other smaller Euros while looking at these shops. I also had a ball going back through memory lane with such classics as Trump and "Snatch Pants."

Oh, and Chris... it's been raining and in the 60-70 the whole time I've been here... back home in Minneapolis? 80s-90s with sun!

edit-
Also had the chance to check out Game Depot. Overall, I wouldn't say it was any better than Game Knights, I personally would prefer the later as I'm just as much a CCGer as a BGer and they had a large selection of singles. Game Depot only had a few overpriced boxes and no singles for my Magic needs. BUT, they had a nice clearance table with some items I might have picked up had I had room in my luggage. Thanks again everyone! Fantastic time overall, and I'd recommend visiting Arizona to anyone who loves natural wonders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls